• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »    Reply to this topic

Lived in Sweden for 5 years

But I luckily made my way out

oddsock
post 22.Jan.2013, 03:17 PM
Post #106

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 22.Jan.2013, 02:57 PM) *
Yeah.. not sure that will change his opinion actually. Apparently he is hated by the irish for having the wrong name and it is :1. a nation of bigots2. a failed state3. ... al ... (show full quote)

I have no hatred for any of the people you claim I hate. I don't like the British or Irish political establishments, but I have no problem with people themselves.
Go to the top of the page
+
cogito
post 22.Jan.2013, 03:25 PM
Post #107

QUOTE (jonko @ 22.Jan.2013, 02:00 PM) *
"But Sweden is a great deal for the parents--especially for the fathers. ". How true!

Though few will admit it. Would tarnish their "it's for the children" halo.

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 22.Jan.2013, 02:47 PM) *
But, a 100 or 200 years ago, Sweden was much poorer etc . They have prospered much more in the past 50-100 years; since they started to avoid conflict

"Avoid conflict"=the conventional euphemism for Sweden's inglorious role in WWII.
But yes, there is no doubt Sweden prospered from aiding Germany.
+
Migga
post 22.Jan.2013, 03:25 PM
Post #108

QUOTE (oddsock @ 22.Jan.2013, 03:16 PM) *
Yeah, just a bit of slave trade here and there.My point is that Sweden was an aggressor in Baltic area, taking over large swathes of FInland and Estonia. As far as I know Stoc ... (show full quote)

The slave trade done by Sweden won`t even make up for 0.01% of all the slave trade during the colonial era. Trying to paint Sweden as a colonial power won`t stick. But what people haven`t enslaved others one time or another during history? Why only try and guilt the Swedes?

Sure Sweden was a great power, not colonial power, and conquered great land masses. The era when Sweden was in charge is known as "the happy days" back in the baltic countries. But conquering all that land mass and having an army only lead to the people starving back home and for a great debt to be created. It hardly explains Swedens greatness today.
+
oddsock
post 22.Jan.2013, 03:49 PM
Post #109

Wow.
+
Pursuivant
post 22.Jan.2013, 04:02 PM
Post #110

What`s this ruckus about the Union Jack being waived in northern ireland I`ve been reading?

The ruckus is rather about the flag not being waived enough.
+
Yorkshireman
post 22.Jan.2013, 05:10 PM
Post #111

Yeah, just a bit of slave trade here and there.

Hmmmm ...one should also bare in mind that Dublin only exists today because of the Irish and Viking slave trade. One of the major slave-markets was in Dublin, and the Irish used to raid coastal areas to aquire slaves to sell. wink.gif ...that was during the dark and middle ages...
+
oddsock
post 22.Jan.2013, 05:26 PM
Post #112

I don't deny it.

Did you know that the locals refer to it as "the happy days"? Hahaha.
+
Seamus Sean
post 22.Jan.2013, 05:43 PM
Post #113

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 22.Jan.2013, 04:02 PM) *
The ruckus is rather about the flag not being waived enough.

Some people are too much into history to understand geography maybe? rolleyes.gif
+
jonko
post 22.Jan.2013, 05:51 PM
Post #114

Please, someone with admin priviledges to change the subtitle again:

"Lived in Sweden for 5 years"
"And its connection with the Irish War of Independence"

...or something like it.
+
skogsbo
post 22.Jan.2013, 05:56 PM
Post #115

My point is that Sweden was an aggressor in Baltic area, taking over large swathes of FInland and Estonia. As far as I know Stockholm was never in the hands of a foreign power ... (show full quote)

No expert, plenty Swedes here to correct me, but Sweden lost land to Norway and against Russia, which was the creation of Finland. It has fought wars in northern Europe too, on what is now Poland, Germany or Holland, but you need to head back a few centuries. There have probably been at least a dozen named wars in the past 500years with neighbours, swapping land and leadership back and forth. Technically the king of Denmark, also ruled part of Sweden, at the same time as what is now the UK, so your ancestors were under Danish rulers, you can't just pick and chose your history! smile.gif

QUOTE (cogito @ 22.Jan.2013, 03:25 PM) *
"Avoid conflict"=the conventional euphemism for Sweden's inglorious role in WWII.. But yes, there is no doubt Sweden prospered from aiding Germany.

I wouldn't jump for glory too quick, for many years the USA wouldn't assist Europe up front, it loaned or rather hired out aircraft after much pressure from Churchill under the proviso they were for 'training' only. As the USA had a similar stance to Sweden until it joined the war. The USA still had politicians in Berlin, all pally pally with Hitler, long after Poland and Italy (amongst others) were invaded. Folk were dying in their millions long before the USA eventually joined the war, 2-3 years after Europe had been fighting and were it not from the risk from the Japanese and pressure from European leaders, it would have probably have sat it out, just like Sweden actually did, not that Sweden really had a chance of defending itself. I won't dispute that once the USA joined, it made a significant difference, but they were hardly as fast to grab their guns then, as they are now.

Remember reading a number years ago when I was in the military that the Swedes thought they could hold out for a week, if they were invaded. We presumed this referred to only Stockholm as even with the size of the forces 10-15yrs ago, the conscripts and their Dad's army, Sweden's vast territority and low population would render it undefendable. Like Norway, some terrain would lend itself to guerrilla warfare.
+
oddsock
post 22.Jan.2013, 06:00 PM
Post #116

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_...E2%80%931697%29

The Great Famine of Estonia (also The great starvation) killed about a fifth of Estonian and Livonian population (70 000 – 75 000 people) in two years.

Peasants, orphans and the elderly began to die en masse of starvation and the spring snow-melt of 1697 revealed many corpses. Meanwhile, landlords and merchants exported grain to Finland and Sweden, where crops also had failed.

At the time Estonia and Livonia were seen as the granaries of the Swedish Empire and large quantities of grain were shipped to Sweden and Finland. Due to the low status these provinces held in the empire, priority was given to the fulfilment of these export quotas. The Government in Stockholm were slow to react to the developing famine and did not relax their policies until 1697 when it was too late.

Estonia was sacrificed to feed Sweden. "The Happy Days" in the Baltic nations.
+
skogsbo
post 22.Jan.2013, 06:12 PM
Post #117

QUOTE (oddsock @ 22.Jan.2013, 06:00 PM) *
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_...E2%80%931697%29. Estonia was sacrificed to feed Sweden. "The Happy Days" in the Baltic nations.

given that Sweden only got out of relative poverty in the last 100years and that event was 300years ago, you can hardly say Sweden is where it is today because of it? Sweden also harboured many people from there during world war II, but that probably made no difference to either countries, the individuals were probably pleased though! smile.gif

Or were you searching for a tedious link to the potato famine, to bring it back to the Irish? wink.gif
+
oddsock
post 22.Jan.2013, 06:29 PM
Post #118

No, just making the point that all countries have a dark past. Migga seems to think that Sweden is squeaky clean on all counts.
+
cogito
post 22.Jan.2013, 06:38 PM
Post #119

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 22.Jan.2013, 05:56 PM) *
I wouldn't jump for glory too quick, for many years the USA

Huh? What jump for glory? Where? Please give the quote.
Your obsession with the USA is worrisome. Soon a question about Swedish bread will provoke one of your rants about the USA.

If your reading comprehension was not so affected by your hate, you'd see my post was re. your parroting the stale "avoid conflict" meme to prettify sweden's collaboration with the Nazis, by, for instance, allowing extensive use of their railway network to aid the German occupation of Norway. This included sending Norwegians to Germany, many of them bound for concentration camps.
+
Woww
post 22.Jan.2013, 07:14 PM
Post #120

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 20.Jan.2013, 09:52 PM) *
Before Sweden joined the EU, Sweden had far superior regulations with regards food quality, unfortunately those had to be removed when joining the EU in the 1990's and foo ... (show full quote)

WOW even the"migga" summer video looked boring! haha except for the blonde in the bikini. :-)

All kidding aside Sweden I think is a pretty country.
+

21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se