• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Lived in Sweden for 5 years

But I luckily made my way out

Gamla Hälsingebock
post 21.Jan.2013, 04:56 AM
Post #31

QUOTE (Beef @ 20.Jan.2013, 11:16 PM) *
He has left, look a the thread title!! . Anyway there is nothing more childish than any criticism being met with, just leave then.. Ridiculous!

Childish? Ridiculous?...I don't think so...What is wrong in telling an obviously unhappy person to go and find happiness?

People come to Sweden and then blame Sweden for their not being able to cope with a new way of life.

If Sweden is so bad in their experience then why stay?

What was so bad about the country they left?

Two countries and people not happy in either one!

What a "snarky" lot we have here...bitch, whine, moan, groan, whinge, etc..

Go some place and be happy...if you ever can...Don't think so!

Look at yourselves for the unhappiness you have...not where you live.

And not Sweden! cool.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
charleung
post 21.Jan.2013, 05:09 AM
Post #32

I went to Sweden for traveling a few weeks ago and I agree but also disagree with some points brought up by Jonko. I could be wrong as I was there for only a few days.

Swedish people are genuinely nice. I met quite a number of Swedish (also some Danish and Norwegian) in Australia (I'm from Australia) and I could be a part of their community. My relationship with them works out very well. When I was in Stockholm, people even took out their mobile checking their GPS when I asked for direction (I remember I asked 4 people in difference occasions and 3 of them took out their mobiles while the remaining led me the way).

Food can be quite disappointing. I had dinner in a steak restaurant right opposite to the hotel I stay (think it's called Blu Viking Radison) and the steak was probably the worst I've ever had in my life. The portion was tiny and was tastless. I ended up going to a bakery for bread after my meal.

For working, I really have idea. Yet I'm planning to work in Sweden as a university lecturer or researcher. Unfortunately, it isn't easy and the salary far lower than that in Australia (also considering the living cost is slightly cheaper here).
+
Pursuivant
post 21.Jan.2013, 10:38 AM
Post #33

So, another whining foreigner, whats new? The weather didn't change.
+
AW1
post 21.Jan.2013, 03:07 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (jonko @ 20.Jan.2013, 09:40 PM) *
Can anyone give opinion about the meat quality in Sweden compare to your countries? I have to know whether I'm so biased here as some are pointing out.

As far as I know it's not tainted like Spanish meat. Alberto Contador would probably love it.. or maybe not... wink.gif

But seriously, I find pork and chicken to be pretty good. Lamb not as good as I can get in the UK.
+
byke
post 21.Jan.2013, 03:13 PM
Post #35

Sweden has some ok cuts of meat, but the costs associated with it are just ridiculous.
Thats why so many Swedes eat so much crap.

795:- a kilo for a nice piece of well hung Oxfile from a Swedish farmer who has put the time into produce a nice piece of meat, finds it very hard to compete with other non Swedish farmers who offer the same for much less.
+
intrepidfox
post 21.Jan.2013, 03:34 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 21.Jan.2013, 04:56 AM) *
Childish? Ridiculous?...I don't think so...What is wrong in telling an obviously unhappy person to go and find happiness?People come to Sweden and then blame Sweden for th ... (show full quote)

Well said. There is so much bitching about the Swedes it´s pathetic. If people do not like the country then they are free to leave.
+
Lanza572
post 21.Jan.2013, 04:11 PM
Post #37

Good post OP. So after all has been said and one by all posting on this thread, does this mean that when I move from the Canary Islands I will hate every second of living in Sweden ? ? wink.gif

I have been on many online forums before this one with an excess of 20,000 posts over time, I think some people here need to re-read what people are posting and not jump down peoples throats.

This is after all a place for discussion, whether people are being negative OR positive, there will always be someone with a different point of view either way who will disagree from time to time...chill out (no pun intended ).

After reading a LOT of negative posts from people living in Sweden whether they are Swedish or Other, I am still looking forward to the challenge.

Don't get me wrong I love my life in the sun here, but I have no work and the island is dying a death. So after 8 years I have to move on, with my Sambo and 2 year old Son.

My only concern is having to learn another language, it will take a while to tune my listening from Spanish to Swedish, but I'll get there.

As for people and living in Sweden, the OP is correct, this post was about his experience. There are nice people and arseholes where ever you live in the world, sometimes you just gotta be lucky to find the good ones.

If in 6 months if I post back saying I hate the place and can't wait to leave, then that will be my choice and it does not condem the country to hell, it will simply be my personal preference.

Anyhow, enough sense for one day.

See you in the snow soon rolleyes.gif
+
beefbroff
post 21.Jan.2013, 05:29 PM
Post #38

5 Years? Wow you must have commited some serious crime in your past life.
+
oddsock
post 21.Jan.2013, 06:05 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (Migga @ 20.Jan.2013, 10:42 PM) *
There`s no reasoning with some, I lose either way. If I let it slide the bashing continues. If I point out the ridicule I`m labeld as playing the victim, upset, offend ... (show full quote)

Oh stop it already, you are always telling people that they think what they think because they lack self-confidence or have issues. You dish it out but then get righteous when you get the same back. Lance Armstrong did the same for 14 years.
+
oddsock
post 21.Jan.2013, 06:15 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (jonko @ 20.Jan.2013, 10:40 PM) *
Can anyone give opinion about the meat quality in Sweden compare to your countries? I have to know whether I'm so biased here as some are pointing out.

I like chicken and I find chicken here to be very expensive, rubbery and watery.

Beef here is quite good and a very decent price. Choice of pasta from Italy in the supermarket is also very good. Dairy selection is also pretty good at most supermarkets.

I'm not so into pork so have no opinion, but I hear you on the Bernaisse sauce.

My biggest gripe is with the pizza. In the country I lived before there is shit pizza, okay pizza, good pizza and excellent pizza. Here there is only shit pizza (takeaway) and okay pizza (in so-called high class Italian restaurants. Basically they sell you Swedish pizza with slightly better cheese than usual).

And the bread, but I talked about that before. There's no reason why decent fresh bread with no additives should be considered a luxury product!
+
intrepidfox
post 21.Jan.2013, 06:19 PM
Post #41

Where did you live before ? Outer Mongolia.

The Swedish pizza´s are good better than Italy
+
oddsock
post 21.Jan.2013, 06:22 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 21.Jan.2013, 06:19 PM) *
The Swedish pizza´s are good better than Italy

Depends where you bought your pizza. Like I said, pizzas in other countries vary. I have had some incredibly shit pizzas in Italy. I have also had the best pizza I ever ate in my life in Italy.

In Sweden, predictably, pizzas have all been standardised to lagom.
+
jonko
post 21.Jan.2013, 06:31 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Lanza572 @ 21.Jan.2013, 04:11 PM) *
Good post OP. So after all has been said and one by all posting on this thread, does this mean that when I move from the Canary Islands I will hate every second of living in S ... (show full quote)

If you both are unemployed in Spain I think Sweden is a good life option. It is a great place to grow up children, people are respecfull and honest for the most. The language is a bit challenging, but I don't know your background so it may be easy for you. Good luck to you and your family!
In the other hand, I don't think everyone has read my post thoroughly. I guess the harsh reactions come from swedes that don't like to hear any negative opinion about their country, which it is understandable. I'm not going to repeat myself, what I have expressed is there.
Just for you to know, Sweden and swedes have a good reputation in Spain. Funnily, the politics and outstanding estructural changes the country has gone through for the past decade are referred as backup for left and right parties fundamentals in Spain. I don't think they get it right, though. We have other spanish-swedish couples as friends (there are many around here) and I believe it is easier for swedes to settle in Spain than for spaniards to settle in Sweden. We spaniards have deffects of course, but there are very few nationalities more willing to criticize their own country. I found that critic spirit hard to find along the swedes I have met.
+
Hede
post 21.Jan.2013, 06:37 PM
Post #44

excellent
+
jonko
post 21.Jan.2013, 06:53 PM
Post #45

How come that someone managed to change the Post Subtitle? huh.gif
+

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN