• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Visiting a shrink in Sweden

How does it work?

futureishere
post 22.Jan.2013, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Can someone tell me if psychiatrist visits are covered under government funded health care? How do I go about booking an appointment with one? And would language be a problem if I don't speak much Swedish?
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 22.Jan.2013, 02:05 PM
Post #2

Are you sure you need a psychiatrist instead of psychotherapist? For the former, you would visit them as you would any doctor (and acute cases via hospital), the latter you can book yourself privately.

~~~PDX~~~
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 22.Jan.2013, 02:58 PM
Post #3

If you want to go the public way both psychiatrists and psychologists are available after referral from a doctor (or going to a clinic specializing in psychological healthcare), but there may be quite some wait to see one if your symptoms are not severe. Otherwise you can just look up one in the yellow pages and pay up front.
+
John.Smith
post 22.Jan.2013, 03:06 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (futureishere @ 22.Jan.2013, 01:56 PM) *
Can someone tell me if psychiatrist visits are covered under government funded health care? How do I go about booking an appointment with one? And would language be a problem ... (show full quote)

Not to sound funny but a friend of my wife was suffering from very bad depression for about a year. Despite a prescription for medication she found she had things that she needed help to deal with. She went to vårdcentralen several times seeking a referral to a professional. She was fobbed off several times as each doctor wanted to prescribe her a new or different medication and they would not listen to her when she said that she had deeper issues that needed support.
Anyway, to cut a long and sad story short, she went to the doctor and said "I am suicidal" and you either commit me or make an emergency referral right now. In actual fact she wasn't suicidal, but she felt that she was coming very close to it.

Point is that it may work to your advantage to ensure that the doctor knows that perhaps medication is not the solution in our case at an early stage. If necessary keep going back until you get the solution you need.

Hope it works out.
+
futureishere
post 22.Jan.2013, 07:38 PM
Post #5

Looks like it's not worth the trouble, at least that would be my excuse to my shrink back home.
+
snarky
post 22.Jan.2013, 11:09 PM
Post #6

Hello -

Yes, it is covered, but you need a referral from your general doctor. I went this route and needless to say it was utterly mind-boggling as I ended up with the most frozen, cold blooded Swede ever. Oh god, just thinking back I feel like I need therapy for just having to endure seeing her, haha. Anyway, what I ended up doing was searching online for an expat therapist in Europe and located an American one in the Netherlands. Going this route of course you pay out of your own pocket. I had a few monthly Skype video sessions with her and just transferred money into her bank account about a week before our session. I did find a few expat english speaking ones (an american and an australian) in the Stockholm area, but they were both guys and I really wanted to see a woman therapist. I don't even live near Stockholm anyway, so it just didn't work for me in general.

Let me know if you have any other questions or just want someone to talk with. smile.gif

Kram,
Shy
+
Glenbryan
post 8.Apr.2013, 01:38 PM
Post #7

It does seem as if the government provision of free psychological / psychiatric services is over stretched. I've heard stories of long waiting lists and a short number of sessions given. I would think that once you get to your therapist / psychiatrist , most of them would speak passable English . I've just set up in private practice in Gothenburg (I'm an English psychologist ) so if you are still looking , and are interested in going down the private route , I'd be happy to talk to you to discuss your options. My email is glen@glenbryan.co.uk , my telephone number is 070 339 0009, and my website is http://gle53.wix.com/bryan-psychology .
All the best,
Glen Bryan
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com