• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Winter Blues ...

Suggestions ...

snarky
post 23.Jan.2013, 03:18 PM
Post #1

Okay, so I am looking for suggestions/advice to keep me from 'suffocating' to death this winter and well any other season really, lol. Here is what I am workin' with -

I live in a tiny village in the middle of a Smaland forest with nothing around. The biggest 'city' is about 25 minutes away and even then it is not big, but hey there are people, lol. I work from home with a shit shift Monday through Friday starting in afternoon until late at night. And apparently the house we bought lays right smack dab in this weird 'retirement community', and not quite a fit for me or my sambo. The neighbors also seem to consider me the horrifying foreigner that invaded their space, even though I look like the stereotypical Swede. Since owning a house in Sweden is extremely expensive, extra money is not something we have. And our diminishing hopes of selling our house anytime soon (that has been on the market for 9 months now), it is getting very depressing.

It is so boring I have taken up video games, I have never played video games my entire life and come here and well I am now a zombie killing expert, lol. smile.gif About the only other constant thing to do is to go on walks in the forests with the dogs.

So I ask of you, any recommendations for hobbies well hell just any recommendations for anything? What do you guys like to do in the winter or have for hobbies?
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 23.Jan.2013, 04:06 PM
Post #2

Video games and walks in forest with a dog sounds like paradise...

Seriously speaking, it's time to open the bottle and keep on drinking until the spring. If money is tight, brewing your own is a great hobby rolleyes.gif .

~~~PDX~~~
+
Svensksmith
post 23.Jan.2013, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Neither video games nor drinking is likely to improve your mood in the long run. Exercising at the gym (if you can afford it) or simply running and doing calisthenics is not only good for you but also helps you feel happier. Cross country skiing, perhaps. Getting as much natural daylight helps as well. Inexpensive day trips on the weekends to get away are great for the morale.

Cheer up, evntually spring will be here!
+
Pursuivant
post 23.Jan.2013, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Like PDX said, you're doing it already... Some people get help from those bright-light-lamps.

See now why Swedes do those trips to Tenerife?
+
skogsbo
post 23.Jan.2013, 04:50 PM
Post #5

Skiing, slopes at Alvesta or Hestra, which can't be too far. I was at Hestra today, just back. It was great, only -9 or 10 so not too cold. Blue skies, so few people it's incredible. Ace.

Ice fishing?

Orienteering?

Ice Skating - 20kr gets you all morning at åby outdoor rink. You'll need your own skates, but 300kr will solve that. Indoor skating at Värnamo, Alvesta and Vaxjo, plus many many more places. The council run indoor skating is free. All details and times online.

I'll add more soon.
+
Brahmall
post 23.Jan.2013, 08:59 PM
Post #6

If you're already out walking in the woods with the dogs why not try Geocaching. I would be surprised if there wasn't a few around you considering you mentioned you are close to a retirement community. I had the same issue you're having last year when I moved further north in Sweden, Geocaching kept me active, mentally and physically.

http://www.geocaching.com
+
skogsbo
post 23.Jan.2013, 09:23 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Brahmall @ 23.Jan.2013, 08:59 PM) *

orienteering for geeks! wink.gif

But yeah, it's better than being stuck indoors, the human body hasn't evolved to spend it's time sitting still, it's much happier active. smile.gif
+
John.Smith
post 24.Jan.2013, 12:49 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 23.Jan.2013, 04:19 PM) *
Neither video games nor drinking is likely to improve your mood in the long run. Exercising at the gym (if you can afford it) or simply running and doing calisthenics is not o ... (show full quote)

+1
natural Daylight does wonders for the soul. Take it when you can. I normally get a blue week or two in December. Exercise and the great outdoors do it for me.

Took this pic a few mins ago out for a walk at lunch time... why would you not want to be outside in that!

Attached Image

+
snarky
post 24.Jan.2013, 07:07 PM
Post #9

@ PDX - yea, paradise for a while until things settle and you realize just how isolated you are and how depressing it gets with very little to no sun...but maybe I should take up drinking, I could really get these retired folks to hate me even more, now that may be some entertainment. It was bad enough trying to make friends by taking american pancakes to one of the neighbors as a friendly gesture, it didn't work out too well. Then the lady at the grocery store who I took some banana bread too (because she was always so nice) and her response was "why"...I swear I just can't win, so yeah maybe drinking is just what I need, lol. smile.gif

Thanks Everyone! Yea, I have been thinking about trying ice skating, we have a little village rink literally right behind our house. It is usually empty at night. I think I will give it a go and hope I don't break anything, lol. I think I will need to read up on the orienteering, not quite familiar with that. I have heard about the geocaching, but forgot about it, so thanks that is a great idea!

I honestly feel like I live in the cloudiest, rainiest part of Sweden. We have more clear nights than days! Sunshine is far and few between, so I do enjoy it when there is sun.

Okay, but I have some questions about the lake we live by and being safe when it is frozen, maybe you all can help. On the weekends I see people out on it and well it appears okay, but late at night when I am outside I hear things coming from the lake. Like loud bangs or some type of crashing. I assume it is the water underneath...? Is the lake really safe to walk on? I have never been around frozen lakes so I am not too familiar with them, if we go out on the one by our house we just stay on the edges, but I see people out there on their mopeds and fourwheelers, etc. But the weird noises coming from the lake at night keep me too nervous to go out any farther, but there are some islands I would really like to walk to.
+
entry
post 24.Jan.2013, 07:35 PM
Post #10

Just relax, let people get used to seeing you. Talk to the register clerks and the shelf stackers at the stores. Be a regular at the library. Give it time. You do not want to know everyone and those that are worthwhile will gravitate towards you. Enjoy those blue skies when they show on the winter days. Wander around those trees in the woods. Lots of people would love to trade places with you.
+
what would thomas paine d...
post 25.Jan.2013, 10:59 AM
Post #11

Learn this song and dance smile.gif:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IjGNJPNyzU
+
Opalnera
post 25.Jan.2013, 11:10 PM
Post #12

Just get busy with something, sign up for a bunch of studies and work etc, you will be too busy to be depressed.
+
Opalnera
post 25.Jan.2013, 11:13 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 23.Jan.2013, 08:23 PM) *
orienteering for geeks! wink.gif. But yeah, it's better than being stuck indoors, the human body hasn't evolved to spend it's time sitting still, it's much happier active. smile.gif

You have been in Sweden too long mate tongue.gif
+
skogsbo
post 26.Jan.2013, 07:28 AM
Post #14

Nope, was skiing and orienteering long before I moved to Sweden, I have had to reduce my caving since coming here though, but you can't win them all.

ps. Another great day on the skis yesterday. smile.gif make the most of it, might milder next week!
+
myake
post 28.Jan.2013, 01:17 PM
Post #15

Hej! do you speak some swedish? it helps a lot. I live in Karlskrona and I exactly feel the same as you : suffocating, depressed and even unsafe to be honest.Moreover, I came as a student and citizens seem to be fed up with students, which I could understand but, hey, I would have preferred to know beforehand!!
However I'm sure it's just a matter of time, swedes seem very shy! that's all ! vdeo games is fun but human beings is better in my opinion !! you could meet people through associations maybe??
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description