• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Watermain bursted in my house.. how to repair?

Watermain problem . LF a company/person to fix

skogsbo
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:59 PM
Post #16

all becomes apparent, it's just frozen in the winter because you've not heated the place.

Cheaper to have heaters on a frost settings, where there are pipes, than pay plumbing bills !

You'll save yourself a little off your bill if you pull away some panelling and find the leak, easier access for plumber, mean less hours labouring on the job, smaller bill.

Shame, had you left it all frozen you could have fixed this for less than 500kr including the few tools you would have needed to do it yourself. Lesson learnt though, watch the plumber when he does it, you'll know for next time.
Go to the top of the page
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:59 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:55 PM) *
I see, is the wall insulated, solid wall, brick / wood. Severe cold could penetrate it enough to freeze it, then thaw the next day, but it's unusual in a newer building an ... (show full quote)

just a mintue. i will take some pic of my house to expain about this. sorry my english is not good...
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 03:09 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:59 PM) *
all becomes apparent, it's just frozen in the winter because you've not heated the place. Cheaper to have heaters on a frost settings, where there are pipes, than pay ... (show full quote)

I see. that is a good ieda. I didnt know that water pipes will break if I dont turn on the heater. I was trying to save some money. but now we going to cost more sad.gif

"had you left it all frozen you could have fixed this for less than 500kr" did u mean if I dont heat up the room and left the water pipes all frozen. will cost me less kr to fix? why?
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 03:18 PM
Post #19

Attached Image

this is the view from outside of the door to the house

Attached Image

this is the water pipes in the kitchen.
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 03:19 PM
Post #20

Attached Image

Attached Image
+
skogsbo
post 24.Jan.2013, 03:28 PM
Post #21

from the pics it could well be colder behind those boards, than in the house, because they won't benefit from what little heat was in the house. Plus many older houses, modernised or converted will have had a cold room or little larders(small cupboards), that were deliberately colder for keeping food in, but not so useful if have pipes running through them.

Yes, a unique property of water, when it becomes a solid, ie ice, it expands. Most other substances shrink when cooling.

You'll probably have to pull that back wall away, while you there add some insulation to the pipes. At least if a tenant goes away and doesn't heat the house or there is a power failure in winter etc. .you won't have to face another bill. As it's internal, the cheaper stuff that's 20kr a metre will be fine. What ever you can fit in the space, before putting the boards back on.

IMPORTANT - If you don't know where the pipes run, don't use a jigsaw or tiger saw to cut a hole in that back wall, you'll just end up creating more work and more bills!

Cut by hand and just watch the colour of the waste coming out on each stroke, first sign of white plastic or any metal stop. There might be electric cables too.
+
For all
post 24.Jan.2013, 04:04 PM
Post #22

I can help you fix all,

http://www.hus.se/forum/

http://www.byggahus.se/forum/
+
Pursuivant
post 24.Jan.2013, 04:05 PM
Post #23

i think the reason of leak was this house has nobody living.. so we did not keep the heater

So, the pipes froze. Not a surprise.

today i when to threre and check about the house. the leaking was stoped from the frozen. so I use the candle and heaters to recover it from frozen. then the leaking was back!

I heard big sounds of water flowing. and water leaking to the floor. but i did not find out where is the damage. from the sounds, it seems to be inside of the walls...

That will cost you a lot. It may be a leak in more than one place as well. Fixing the pipe is not enough, but the wall needs to be dried as well for all the water thats been seeping into the structures, and in the winter its going to be double as hard. So its going to be not just fixing a piece of pipe, if the waters been leaking for months. Otherwise you get mold growing and the house can get condemned even. Unfortunately, no insurance company will cover idiotism - leaving the water on in an unheated house is considered willful negligence..
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 04:12 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (For all @ 24.Jan.2013, 04:04 PM) *

sorry i could not read swedish at all. what are these links for?
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 04:15 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 24.Jan.2013, 04:05 PM) *
.So, the pipes froze. Not a surprise. That will cost you a lot. It may be a leak in more than one place as well. Fixing the pipe is not enough, but the wall needs to be dried ... (show full quote)

I see, i think ill just for the company come at torrmow to fix this, i hope the problems is not inside the wall.
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 04:16 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 24.Jan.2013, 03:28 PM) *
from the pics it could well be colder behind those boards, than in the house, because they won't benefit from what little heat was in the house. Plus many older houses, mo ... (show full quote)

I see, i think ill just for the company come at torrmow to fix this, these works are really too hard for me >_>
+
Pursuivant
post 24.Jan.2013, 05:56 PM
Post #27

What you also want to have installed, is stopcocks. And if the house is so that it will be left cold, you need to figure out how to drain the water system (just stopping the water isn't enough). This isn't always though of when building, but now that you get plumbing done, might as well get that done. Otherwise you need to leave the house at least +10.
+
kkkgho
post 25.Jan.2013, 09:38 PM
Post #28

afterall, the repairing company comes today. they said it cost 9800 SEK to fix since the pipes inside the wall is broken..

DAFUQ is this price T.T
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se