• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Differences in the 3 big cities

And weather questions

snarky
post 25.Jan.2013, 03:35 PM
Post #1

We are looking toward eventually moving out of the Smaland region, but trying to weigh the pros and cons of which bigger city to move to or move by (Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmo). Any info or advice? Also, any thoughts on living in Helsingborg or Lund? I have been to all the cities (not Helsingborg though) but only for short visits (a day or two max), never lived in or around any of them.

I am leaning toward Malmo or Lund area. But my main reason is that I have heard that it is warmer, but is it really? I can't find a website that states what is the sunniest, least coldest part of Sweden, lol. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Tack!
Go to the top of the page
+
Redondo Beach
post 25.Jan.2013, 04:17 PM
Post #2

Malmö may be a tiny bit warmer than Göteborg or Stockholm but it's one of the most crime ridden cities in Europe. Be very very careful if you decide to move there!
+
Migga
post 25.Jan.2013, 04:58 PM
Post #3

Of those three choices I`d pick Lund. Safe, beautiful old town, great schools and it`s close to Malmö or Copenhagen. It`s also on the up and up with big investments like the Max IV lab.
+
Johno
post 25.Jan.2013, 05:21 PM
Post #4

You will have no trouble finding the names of the problem areas in Malmö, Göteborg, Stockholm and even smaller towns like Halmstad (to name a town at random). But equally all have lots of good places where you would be perfectly happy and safe. For Malmö in particular newer suburbs to the south served by the commuter trains are fine. Look at eg http://www.weather-and-climate.com/average...shine-in-Sweden and compare climates in different cities.
+
Mo
post 25.Jan.2013, 05:21 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Redondo Beach @ 25.Jan.2013, 04:17 PM) *
Malmö may be a tiny bit warmer than Göteborg or Stockholm but it's one of the most crime ridden cities in Europe. Be very very careful if you decide to move there!

some statistics to back up this sweeping statement please
+
snarky
post 25.Jan.2013, 11:44 PM
Post #6

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the information!
+
Opalnera
post 26.Jan.2013, 12:28 AM
Post #7

I think Malmö and Göteborg are warmer than Stockholm. Malmö has the advantage that it's close to Copenhagen and Malmö is a lot cheaper than Stockholm. I've never been to Göteborg but a few people have said it's quite rainy there and a bit less snow. I prefer proper snow to slush that they get in Stockholm, which is why we chose Uppsala. To be honest go where you can find a good job and work it out from there.
+
icedearth
post 26.Jan.2013, 12:55 AM
Post #8

I love Gothenburg
+
Skugglegend
post 26.Jan.2013, 01:07 AM
Post #9

I grow up on Öland and Kalmar, lived in Lund, Uppsala, Malmö and Stockholm. I prefer Stockholm because It has more nature and I like It´s surrounded by water. I know you have water in Malmö but I never felt the same there with nature and water. I like Stockholm for the access to culture...museums, theatre. Some might say Malmö because It´s a smaller city but I think Stockholm feels like a small city really because you usually stay at your "stadsdel" with local shops and so on. Positive about Skåne, It´s closer to Europe smile.gif
I like Lund a lot but for me It feels more like a student city, but I guess It´s a nice city to live anyway. I prefer Lund more than Uppsala.
+
james5
post 26.Jan.2013, 06:42 AM
Post #10

Malmo bay is beautiful place for tour and travel.
+
Mo
post 26.Jan.2013, 10:27 AM
Post #11

http://www.thelocal.se/45832/20130126/#.UQOg72ZwY5s

OK Malmö not entirely safe (especially if you are in a gang)
+
oddsock
post 26.Jan.2013, 11:40 AM
Post #12

Helsingborg is a lovely town. But a bit small for my liking though.

Gothenburg is also very nice.
+
snarky
post 28.Jan.2013, 09:47 PM
Post #13

Thanks again for all your input, I really do appreciate it! smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com