• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Another shooting in Malmo

I wonder if it will effect the Eurovision?

oddsock
post 26.Jan.2013, 06:12 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Migga @ 26.Jan.2013, 04:20 PM) *
What does his skin color have to do with anything? Yes he`s a Swede with a Finnish heritage, just like Zlatan is a Swede with Bosnian/Croatian heritage.

Ooh, dancing around the issue as usual.

You called him Finnish outright.

On another thread you were defending (rightly) Zlatan and saying of course he was Swedish.

I just find it peculiar (or perhaps predictable is a better word) that when somebody is doing positive things (like Zlatan) you are quick to point out that they are Swedish, but when negative things are happening you point out that they are foreigners.

It's impossible to not consider you biased when you do that.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 26.Jan.2013, 06:21 PM
Post #17

Sweden needs gun laws as strong as in the United States...no Swedes shoot anybody here! laugh.gif
+
Migga
post 26.Jan.2013, 06:59 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (oddsock @ 26.Jan.2013, 06:12 PM) *
You called him Finnish outright.On another thread you were defending (rightly) Zlatan and saying of course he was Swedish.I just find it peculiar (or perhaps predictable is a ... (show full quote)

I didn`t though. It was obvious to me that you were trying to make a point that ethnic Swedes also go around shooting people. That`s true but the one you were referring to isn`t. Nor is Zlatan, no matter how many goals he scores. But they are Swedish, with a non Swedish heritage. There is no doubt that ethnic Swedes commit crimes but statistics show that Swedes within minority groups are more prone to crime. I belive this can be explained from an ethnocultural perspective just as much as from a socioeconomic one. I think someone who don`t identify with others have a lower threshold when it comes to commit crimes against someone that don`t look, behave, think or talk like oneself.
+
Yorkshireman
post 26.Jan.2013, 07:09 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Migga @ 26.Jan.2013, 06:59 PM) *
but statistics show that Swedes within minority groups are more prone to crime.

And in the case of mass shootings in the States, and likely to be the same in other places ...the shooters are marginalised persons, often with mental health problems ...if I remember correctly in the US, 90% of the mass killers have mental health issues!

@byke, the reason it isn't so widely reported as you would like it to be ...I doubt seriously that it has anything to do with Eurovision ...more likely that there was a better set of killings in Egypt!... it always needs a good angle before being newsworthy ...racial, crime gangs etc... always good if it is topical ...they need to make money from selling the news. A boring shooting with no good angle just isn't news worthy nowadays!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 26.Jan.2013, 07:27 PM
Post #20

Why aren't the terms..."naturalized Swede" or "Swedish citizen" more prevalent...it would save a lot of back and forth determining just who is who and what is what, etc.. cool.gif
+
oddsock
post 26.Jan.2013, 07:46 PM
Post #21

Well apparently a Swede born and raised in Sweden to a Swedish mother and "Finnish-Swede" father is not a pure ethnic Swede. It only takes the slightest taint... Unless you are a world famous footballer like Henke Larsson or Zlatan Ibrahimovic of course.
+
oddsock
post 26.Jan.2013, 08:10 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Migga @ 26.Jan.2013, 06:59 PM) *
There is no doubt that ethnic Swedes commit crimes but statistics show that Swedes within minority groups are more prone to crime.

Ah yes, Jimmie Åkesson's and Geert Wilder's hobby horse, those statistics.

So immigrants are statistically more likely to commit crimes, therefore... what does this tell us about immigrants? That immigrants are more criminal people than Swedes? Of course not.

A university professor is also statistically more likely to be man than a woman. What does this tell us? That women are less intelligent? Of course not.

Repeat after me:

Correlation does not equal causation.

This immigrants being statistically more likely to commit crimes than native is a common feature in almost all European countries. Does it have to do with them coming from an inferior culture, as Jimmie Åkesson would have us believe? Because they are Muslims? Well, the murder rate in Sweden is 1.0 per 100,000. Where is the centre of the Muslim world? Mecca, in Saudi Arabia. The murder rate in Saudi Arabia is 1.0 per 100,000. EXACTLY THE SAME.

The poor and less advantaged are statistically more likely to commit a crime than rich and well off people. This has been the same in every society since the dawn of time. Somebody who lives in a leafy suburb and whose parents are lawyers is more likely to succeed than somebody whose parents are unemployed toilet cleaners and who lives in a tower block. The former will get a job through connections/family and prestigious schooling. No matter how much state subsidies there are, unfortunately, that's just the way it is and has always been. There are exceptions to every rule, but it remains the rule. The native population always has difficulty accepting that they achieved what they achieved in their life only partially through hard work. Some of it was due to where they were born and who their parents are.

At the moment the poor and less advantaged in Europe are immigrants who were brought into do the worst jobs and shoved into housing estates. Because Europe is getting old and needs immigration, but is just making a total pig's ear of it. But who does society blame? The people doing their best to get by every day, the average Joe Soap.

+
Migga
post 26.Jan.2013, 08:15 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (oddsock @ 26.Jan.2013, 07:46 PM) *
Well apparently a Swede born and raised in Sweden to a Swedish mother and "Finnish-Swede" father is not a pure ethnic Swede. It only takes the slightest taint... Unl ... (show full quote)

If you have a Swedish father and a German mother then you are half Swedish and half German. If you then grow up in Sweden you have a Swedish nationality with a Swedish/German ethnicity. Is that somehow controversial? Taint? Is that what you call it? It`s nothing about being pure or tainted. It`s when you talk about ethnicity in those terms or put some value in it that things go array. Just because Henke or Zlatan score goals their fathers doesn`t become any more ethnic Swedish.
+
oddsock
post 26.Jan.2013, 08:21 PM
Post #24

Here Migga, allow me to refresh your memory:

QUOTE (oddsock)
Wow, how quickly people forget the guy in Malmö in 2010 who went around shooting a new person every week for a couple of months. Where was he from again?

QUOTE (migga)
Finland

It's written quite clearly.

You said that a born and raised Swede with a Swedish mother and Finnish father is from "Finland".
+
Migga
post 26.Jan.2013, 08:22 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (oddsock @ 26.Jan.2013, 08:10 PM) *
So immigrants are statistically more likely to commit crimes, therefore... what does this tell us about immigrants? That immigrants are more criminal people than Swedes? Of co ... (show full quote)

Great post, I agree. Correlation does not equal causation. I never said it did, still doesn`t change how the world looks like. Like you said yourself; that's just the way it is and has always been.
+
Migga
post 26.Jan.2013, 08:35 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (oddsock @ 26.Jan.2013, 08:21 PM) *
Here Migga, allow me to refresh your memory:. It's written quite clearly.. You said that a born and raised Swede with a Swedish mother and Finnish father is from "Finland".

Well it`s partly true, he is from his fathers side. I got the sense that you were trying to paint him as an ethnic Swede, which is incorrect.
+
oddsock
post 26.Jan.2013, 10:06 PM
Post #27

The funny thing is that in Finland his father would be considered an ethnic Swede.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 27.Jan.2013, 07:23 AM
Post #28

Does Finlandssvenska not mean anything here?

There are/were many Swedish families that moved to Finland during the 400 or so years that Sweden "owned" Finland...many of them did not marry into/with the native Finnish population...So there are still many "ethnic" Swedes living there today...now we can argue as to what and who they really are to suit this discussion. wink.gif
+
byke
post 27.Jan.2013, 02:31 PM
Post #29

I read this morning that in the town of Kävlinge, just a little bit north of Malmö there was another situation that police were called to. And they have described the scene in a fairly grim manner in regards to the amount of blood at the scene. From what I understand, guns were not used in this latest violence reported and it was a male on male crime with the victim seriously injured and taken to intensive care.

This it would appear is an attack using a knife in a very bloody way.
+
Redondo Beach
post 27.Jan.2013, 05:46 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (byke @ 27.Jan.2013, 02:31 PM) *
I read this morning that in the town of Kävlinge, just a little bit north of Malmö there was another situation that police were called to. And they have described the scene ... (show full quote)

Violence is completely out of control in Sweden now thanks to you-know-what.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description