• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Work permit help

No trade union opinion

aquatic
post 29.Jan.2013, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Hello,

I am applying for work permit in Sweden. I have got the offer of employment pdf from my employer. But he said that the company is not in collective agreement with any trade union. And suggested me that I can still submit the application without the opinion from trade union.

My company is in IT sector, developing web applications and mobile applications. How can I get the trade union opinion? Can someone tell me relevant sector (IT sector) trade unions working in Sweden. Can I approach them directly. My student visa is expiring pretty soon. What is the best and quickest way to get the trade union opinion.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.
/dandy
Go to the top of the page
+
Kibiri
post 29.Jan.2013, 08:30 PM
Post #2

Some unions: Sveriges Ingenjörer, Jusek, and Unionen.
Probably best to approach all of them (and any other you find) asap, as some may not reply or take too long time.
+
Case officer
post 29.Jan.2013, 08:59 PM
Post #3

The Sveriges ingenjörer trade union has a policy of not issuing statements. Still you should contact a trade union and ask for one. A policy of not issuing a statement is also a statement. Explain in your application which trade union you have contacted and include the written statement (if any).

If your permit is expiring very soon you can apply for a work permit without a statement. It is important that you at least apply before your permit expires. You can send the statement later to the Migration Board.

If you don't have any trade union statement at all and have not tried to be issued one your application will be delayed.
+
aquatic
post 30.Jan.2013, 10:13 AM
Post #4

Okay that was quick. I contacted Sveriges Ingenjörer and they replied with their opinion. But the opinion is fairly negative I think. Since they described my salary as low. 3K SEK difference between market salary and my salary. Will this affect my work permit? Will I be rejected? really confused.

/Dandy
+
Kibiri
post 30.Jan.2013, 11:03 AM
Post #5

In FAQ section on migrationsverket.se it asks what happens if the union gives negative opinion. The answer they write is something like: migrationsverket will consider union's opinion, but they are not bound with it, and they may still issue a work permit.
I personally think 3K salary difference is not that big, but it is migrationsverket's opinion that matters.

Did you contact other unions as well? They may give more favorable opinions. If you end up with only this opinion from Sveriges Ing, do apply with that one instead of being late.
+
Danish Ali Khan
post 14.Apr.2013, 04:01 PM
Post #6

Hi,

My name is Danish. I work in Stockholm, Sweden. I have the same problem i.e. -ve review from Sverige Ingenjörer. Could, you please update me about your experience and the visa outcome. It will be a great help.

Thanks,

//Danish
+
Yorkshireman
post 14.Apr.2013, 05:23 PM
Post #7

The Union opinion is just that, an opinion, ultimate decision lies with the Case Officer who will also check themselves anyway and it depends upon that case officer and just how different from current industry norms the offer of employment is. Remember, an average is just that ...average, it implies that either everyone is on the exact same salary, or that there are +/- to give that average. The case officer will use Swedish salary statistics to look at not only average but minimums within that range. If you fall below the minimum reported that for sure it will be rejected, as it will be considered salary dumping.

Employers have no excuse, we are bombarded on a regular basis with statistics for salaries, and also use them as a guide for pay-setting and judging where our companies sit with regards the rest. ie. If we want to attract/keep good employees they will be paid above average, indirectly to make a little more difficult for them to find alternative jobs that pay more wink.gif ...less wanted will be paid average or lower (to give them the indication they should find somewhere else to work). Unions have their say when there is a collective agreement, but employees are also indirectly encouraged to go for self-negotiations.

If an employer is offering You less than the average salary to come to Sweden, then one can be sure that it isn't about skills, but more about reducing their salary costs compared to employing someone already in Sweden.
+
nidzzy
post 15.Apr.2013, 01:30 PM
Post #8

Hello,

We do work permit applications in Sweden. Our fees are quite competitive. Please contact me for new work permit applications if you still want it.

nidhi.soni@aurenav.com
+
friendonlyyours
post 15.Apr.2013, 01:47 PM
Post #9

Aquatic, you don't need to attach any union opinion as it is not important in your field. In IT field it very simple terms it is more important for labor work or part time work. Your pay should be a standard pay for your designation. As you said above your field your pay should above 20+ K, insurance from company and job should be advertise from your company on any job site or news paper thats what you need to apply. I applied couple of years before It was same with me. I got work permit without any problem.

If you will contact unions they say you as they said you must get more and take membership and we will deal with your company and bla bla bla which can be also problem for your company if it is not bigger company. If you are start of your career you should take any this kind of risk. If you don't know swedish your pay can be little less than as union say because may be your company has plan to spend that money for your swedish training and so on.

Best of luck!
+
Case officer
post 15.Apr.2013, 09:39 PM
Post #10

The above piece of advice from friendonlyyours is a joke. Apply properly instead.
+
aquatic
post 30.May.2013, 04:02 PM
Post #11

I have a bad news. I got letter from migrationsverket that I can not be granted the work permit and asked me to leave Sweden on a date sad.gif sad.gif I applied for the work permit with a opinion from union. The union says the the average salary starts from 29000 SEK. My salary is 25000 SEK.

Can someone please tell me what should I do now? How can I tell them(migrationsverket) that I am satisfied with my current salary as I live a very moderate life. Will they consider this thing?

I would be really thankful for any useful advice.
+
wondering
post 30.May.2013, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Hi,

Can you please give some more information ? You said that you had already applied with an opinion from the Union.

Why should Migrationsverket ask the Union again ?

What did the opinion from the Union say ?

Was this your first job application or an extension ?

What has your employer said about this issue ?
+
aliraza.jibs1
post 30.May.2013, 05:17 PM
Post #13

Please appeal as soon as possible.
+
aquatic
post 30.May.2013, 05:29 PM
Post #14

@wondering

Yes, I applied with the opinion from Sverige Ingenjorer. The opinion stated that insurance is missing and salary should be 29000sek/month...

This is my first work permit application. not extension.

I've not talked to my employer yet because I am home now. I will talk tomorrow. Can the employer do something about this?

@aliraza.jibs.. What should I write in my appeal?
+
aquatic
post 30.May.2013, 05:41 PM
Post #15

Here is the union opinion attached.

Attached Image

+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com