• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Looking for ancestors

Great-grandfather came to UK via Sweden

PaddyG
post 1.Feb.2013, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Hi all, I'm an active member of The Local's sister site in Switzerland, www.englishforum.ch and would like some help from our Sweden-based brethren.
I've been trying to trace my great-grandfather, who emigrated to Northampton, UK from Sweden during the 19th century. I have his name and year of birth only, but nothing else. Additionally, he was not born in Sweden, but apparently was a member of the Corfu Jewish community and fled/expelled/emigrated to Sweden (or possibly Prussia, UK census records state both). Is there an official Swedish census agency, how helpful are they and would they respond if I were to enquire by email in English?
Thanks for the help.
Paddy
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 1.Feb.2013, 01:44 PM
Post #2

Swedish family history research is pretty easy, even back to 1700, because of annual records made principally by clergy that can be accessed if they still exist. (Some were lost in fires). Many have been indexed and can be searched by name etc. The 1870,1880, 1890, 1900, 1970 and 1980 censuses can all be accessed in different ways. Death index and cemetery searching can be done. Ancestry has much that you look at on line. But its all diy and you need to know Swedish and going back read old script. However, if you send me a message with the info you have I can have a quick look for you, since I have a lot of the CDs and a number of site subscriptions.
+
PaddyG
post 1.Feb.2013, 02:00 PM
Post #3

That's brilliant! Thank you so much for offering, I'll send a PM toute suite
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com