• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Buying and owning a house in Stockholm

What are the costs?

Timepiece
post 3.Feb.2013, 09:08 PM
Post #1

We have been looking at renting a house in Stockholm, but it may be more cost effective to buy and also more range.

I have a good handle on the mortgage rates and repayments, as well as the stamp duty (1.5%), but what are the other costs? Is there a yearly tax or rate paid to the government to handle rubbish collection, road maintenance etc? Are tehre any other costs to be aware of except for maintenance and electricity? What about water?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 3.Feb.2013, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Yes, if there are no pantbrev (documents used as security for loans) already existing on the house and you need a mortgage, those documents need to be created and registered by the bank and it costs 2% of the amount that is used as security. If there already exists pantbrev then you can also take them over, maybe you need to add something to the amount ... can save/reduce the cost wink.gif

15% of the purchase amount must be paid in cash, banks cannot loan more than 85% secured against the property by law.

You may find it hard to get a mortgage direct when you come to Sweden, often they require a certain amount of time credit history. You will need to find somewhere to live before then, not an easy task depending where you are moving to!

For garbage collection etc... there is a fee charged by your local Kommun (council), it is different depending where you live. Same for water, or maybe the house has it's own well/pump-house, sometimes it is even shared with the locals. And then maybe you also need the poop-tank emptying, again depends on the house location and services...
+
Timepiece
post 4.Feb.2013, 08:56 AM
Post #3

Hey, thanks for the great info.

Is the pantbrev cost the 1.5% "stamp duty" referred to here? http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/...en/Buying-Guide

Or is there another government cost of 1.5% of the purchase price?

Assuming I can get a mortgage, what is a rough cost for local council fees? Are we talking 10,000 SEK a year, or 100,000 SEK a year?

Thanks again!
+
Yorkshireman
post 4.Feb.2013, 09:11 AM
Post #4

Stamp duty (lagfartavgift) is always paid, that is the 1.5%

Pantbrev may be required, and maybe not. It depends if there are already pantbrev registered as security for the property. eg. If previous owner had a mortgage they may have needed pantbrev for say 1.5 Million, you come to buy the property at 2.x million, and need a mortgage for 2.0 million ...you only need to create an additional pantbrev for 0.5 million. However, if there are no pantbrev whatsoever, then you need one for 2.0 million ...and you pay roughly 2% of the value of the required pantbrev.

You will need to check with each kommun with regards refuse collection etc... costs vary depending where you intend to live, prices should be up on the net.

Also, check what kind of heating system the house has ...annual costs can vary greatly depending upon whether it is direct-electricity, oil, pellets, ground-heat, or air-heat-exchange.
+
LockStock
post 15.Feb.2013, 12:10 PM
Post #5

"You may find it hard to get a mortgage direct when you come to Sweden, often they require a certain amount of time credit history"...

Not true.. I got mine within one month after getting my personnumer.. I arrived in March and by June I was an owner of an apartment.. My loan proposal was secured in the beginning of May.
+
Elf_Moon
post 15.Feb.2013, 07:54 PM
Post #6

Having looked into buying an apartment in Stockholm, I'd have to say that you will have to be prepared to pay a lot for very little, though that is true for all capital cities! The apartments I last looked at were around the 1.7 mil mark for a tiny one bed apartment. I will wait and see for another year or two before buying I think.

I do know there are monthly costs as well, I think around 2000-4000 for maintenance, and I think sometimes it included some bills.

You really should visit this link:

http://www.hemnet.se/

Input what you are looking for in terms of price, where you want to live etc It's nice because I think they take the yearly expenses of nearing apartments and estimate your yearly bills (if I understood it right biggrin.gif)
+
roch
post 15.Feb.2013, 09:59 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (LockStock @ 15.Feb.2013, 12:10 PM) *
"You may find it hard to get a mortgage direct when you come to Sweden, often they require a certain amount of time credit history"...Not true.. I got mine within on ... (show full quote)

I am finding it hard to find a bank who will let me get a loan. I have permanent employment and will have around 350- 400, 000kr for a deposit on a 1.3 mil house. Who did you go through?

Initial talks are not looking promising.

Anyone know of a bank who will actually take into account that as a couple only one of us has permanent work?
My partners contract comes to an end in a few weeks but he will then have A kassa while he looks for something else.

I am struggling to understand why I can't get a loan when I will have basically a quarter of the price as a deposit. More than the 15%

If anyone has any advice or can direct me to a bank who will lend me the money, please drop me a message!

I am in Umeå.
+
Mib
post 17.Feb.2013, 02:40 PM
Post #8

Look on sites like Hemnet etc where normally along the price is the annual cost for running that house. It varies greatly.
+
Caribbean guy/Swedish Gal
post 17.Feb.2013, 05:20 PM
Post #9

Check SBAB Bank

They are great and very often you need only 5% and not 15% of the down payment,
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options