• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Italy, Spain, Greece in the European Union?

What is happening?

alanis
post 4.Feb.2013, 10:31 AM
Post #1

I have been living in Sweden for a few months now and meeting people from all over the world, the funny thing it seems that in Sweden they don´t want us European to live here, despite the European Union agreement between countries. I love Sweden, I have fantastic friends here, but although I am European, I go to private University in Stockholm, I pay rent (very high) and all what I want is a personal number to open an Bank account but they say NO. Why is that? I am from Europe, I have a Degree and two masters, I have money in the Bank (not in Sweden because without a personal number you can´t open a Bank Account), I have private health insurance and they say NO to give me a personal number which I am entitle too. I can´t understand and it´s very frustrating. I thought Sweden was an open country, the Sweds I know are fantastic people and they make you feel at home but the system rejects you. Why?????
It appears to me that in Stockholm they are trying to avoid us from Italiy Greece or Spain to come, I thought we had an open agreement and in my country there are lots of Swedish people working and they get their personal numbers without problems because of the European Union.

WHAT CAN I DO?
Go to the top of the page
+
Essingen
post 4.Feb.2013, 10:37 AM
Post #2

I have private health insurance and they say NO to give me a personal number which I am entitle too.

Have you tried asking for the reason?
+
johnjohn
post 4.Feb.2013, 10:39 AM
Post #3

If I am correct a student is not considered to be a resident.
+
PDX
post 4.Feb.2013, 10:46 AM
Post #4

You are doing it wrong - you do not need the personal number to open a bank account. You just need to demonstrate that you will be a worthwhile customer.

~~~PDX~~~
+
Johno
post 4.Feb.2013, 11:03 AM
Post #5

If your problem is about opening a bank account, as said above you dont need a personnummer to open a bank account, though it makes it easier but not certain even then. But you need proof of identity, proof of funds, information about what you are doing in Sweden and if at all possible take a Swede with you who can verify who you are. If one bank wont let you have an account, go to another, or go another day when a different customer adviser is at the desk. Lots of us without PNs have Swedish bank accounts.
+
skogsbo
post 4.Feb.2013, 11:34 AM
Post #6

Have you actually been to a bank and shown them your bank statements from your homeland, asking them for an account here?
+
NataBee
post 4.Feb.2013, 12:03 PM
Post #7

Calm down!
First of all, how long will you be staying in Sweden? If you're going to be here less than 1 year then you WON'T be provided with a ten-digit personal number. That's just the rule.
To open a bank account without personal number, you can try Nordea, give them documents that prove you're a student with a valid visa. They have package for students.
People I know from other parts of Europe who stay less than a year do it that way, they had no problems.
+
Yorkshireman
post 4.Feb.2013, 04:10 PM
Post #8

You are correct ...it is because of the EU agreement that You have difficulty obtaining a personal number. EU Right of Residence as a Student ...it is agreed that Students are classed as residents in their home member states, not the state they are studying in. The Swedish personal number is issued as registration into the population register = resident. You are not classed as resident. Your medical costs etc... should be paid by Your Member State, and emergency treatment by showing teh EHIC card. In theory you do not need a swedish personal number.

Get a part-time job, and see how quick they will issue a personal number for tax purposes wink.gif

If you want to open a bank account, it is usual that SEB, normally the offices near Universities (or on campus) will be more than willing to help.
+
alanis
post 4.Feb.2013, 04:15 PM
Post #9

We have spoken to Nordea; Handelsbanken, Swedbank and Forex and they all said I need a personal number. I have a certificate from my Bank showing the funds and my details and even so they don´t let me open an account. The Bank say they want me as a customer but they can´t without the number because it goes agains the rules. Somebody from Nordea Customer services emailed me saying they can provide temporal personal numbers but after arranging a meeting with them, the Account Manager said no. i have been working for a few years in my country and I came to Sweden to learn Swedish, I pay a private university Folkuniversitet so I can learn the language.
You need the personal number for absolutely everything in this country but they don´t give it...
+
PDX
post 4.Feb.2013, 04:21 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (alanis @ 4.Feb.2013, 04:15 PM) *
You need the personal number for absolutely everything in this country but they don´t give it...

No you don't need it, you're doing it wrong... sad.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
Pursuivant
post 5.Feb.2013, 10:34 AM
Post #11

I thought we had an open agreement and in my country there are lots of Swedish people working

Yes, and you are not, so why do you whine?
+
polartwist
post 5.Feb.2013, 11:28 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (alanis @ 4.Feb.2013, 10:31 AM) *
WHAT CAN I DO?

Find a job, is the key that opens many doors.
+
oddsock
post 6.Feb.2013, 06:27 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (alanis @ 4.Feb.2013, 04:15 PM) *
We have spoken to Nordea; Handelsbanken, Swedbank and Forex and they all said I need a personal number.

There are many idiots working at banks who got hired because they had the right sounding name. They are misinformed. You need to keep plugging away until you find somebody who is not an idiot.

Handelsbanken gave me a current account when I first arrived and I had no personnummer. It was a current account with no ability to go into debt and they gave me a Maestro debit card with no credit facility. So it is possible. I could at least lodge some SEK in the account and start paying by card in the shops.

I am no longer with Handelsbanken, but that's another story.

Thinking back now, however, my Swedish colleague was with me when I opened this account. He didn't show any ID or anything, but he spoke Swedish. Maybe it will help if you have a Swede with you? I know it is incredibly degrading that it works like this, but get used to it.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com