• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Pension in case of short-term employment

What-if question

darkos
post 4.Feb.2013, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Hi,

I have a Swedish work and residence permit and have been working in Sweden for a little less than a year. My employer is paying general income tax (Skatt) as well as all other benefits (health insurance, retirement fees, etc - Arbetsgivaravgifter).

My question is regarding the pension.

First, I am clearly not eligible for any kind of pension as I've been working only for 10 months here.

But on the other hand, the retirement fees that the employer pays for me are around 10% of the brutto salary (http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbetsgivaravgifter_i_Sverige).

So what happens to that money?

If short-term employees in Sweden aren't eligible for pension, are the funds given to the Swedish pension system just "thrown" away (from employee's perspective of course; the state will surely use them for something).

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Darko
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 4.Feb.2013, 03:04 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (darkos @ 4.Feb.2013, 01:56 PM) *
So what happens to that money? If short-term employees in Sweden aren't eligible for pension, are the funds given to the Swedish pension system just "thrown" awa ... (show full quote)

When taxes are paid, that includes certain pension contributions, You are entitled to those when you retire, they are not thrown away. Mind You, you need to keep track of those, especially if you are working and paying taxes around Europe. Example is, you can contact the Swedish pension authorities and notify them of all the EU countries you have worked and earned pension rights in ...then the payments should be aggregated to a single pension you receive in Sweden.
+
darkos
post 5.Feb.2013, 10:56 PM
Post #3

I am from a non-EU country (Macedonia) so this does not apply to me. I am also living/working in Sweden for a relatively short time (less then a year) and will be moving back home soon.

So I am not eligible for Swedish pension (neither minimum nor age-based), and I'm also not eligible for the EU pension transfer system that you mention.

My question was - and I realize it may be stupid - but given that I will never receive any kind of benefit from the Swedish pension system, why should I pay obligatory contributions to it?

Shouldn't there be a way to get a "refund"? Or even opt-out of the pension system if you know that you will be here for a short time?
+
Yorkshireman
post 5.Feb.2013, 11:56 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (darkos @ 5.Feb.2013, 10:56 PM) *
I am from a non-EU country (Macedonia) so this does not apply to me. I am also living/working in Sweden for a relatively short time (less then a year) and will be moving back home soon.

You should check the Macedonian Government, as far as I remember there were negotiations underway with regards a Social Security Agreement with Sweden, but unfortunately I don't know if they have been signed/completed yet.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description