• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Anyone moving to London?

Well I am leaving STockholm

Pursuivant
post 7.Feb.2013, 10:57 AM
Post #16

Well, London is a cutthroat place... the UK jobmarket seems to be like that these days. Nevermind then finding a place to live.. and don't mention affordable. It seems the employers are expecting the 10 immigrants queuing up to work cheaper than you and the landlords expect charging a grand for a broom closet in a house where the lounge has bunk beds and 20 immigrants occupying them in shifts...

So for anyone planning moving with the idea of gold bricks for pavement...
Go to the top of the page
+
Elf_Moon
post 7.Feb.2013, 11:40 AM
Post #17

Ok, these guys do have a point there. But Expat is only going there to study and if she or he shares with some good down to earth people, then I am sure he/she will have fun ^.^ Just as long as you stay away from the job market Expat, if you can.

I am so glad to be away from UK though, the office politics usually hit me in the face like a lunatic with a spade -.- I was so tired of it. If you are under 30 in UK it seems that employers think you are an idiot without any common sense.

I mean, I know I've not got a lot of experience, yes. But I'm not so young that I'm running around in diapers :/ And if I work hard, then I want some respect and some reward for that work (3 years in a job without any recognition for the number of free hours you put in, the working over your holidays to help with issues, the working on Christmas holidays while you should be at the table with your family... It just colours your view of things.) I'm not going back because every job I've had there, they want you to be on your hands and knees kissing their feet.

Here, I feel I get respect from my employer and I feel valued smile.gif I like that.
+
Somebody
post 7.Feb.2013, 05:13 PM
Post #18

Jesus...all of that sounds really bad..
What is your profession/field?

I had one interview in London 2 years back.
The guy interviewing me started to ask me questions like if I get sick often (literally how many days in a year on average blink.gif ) and that they expect me to do overtime.
When I asked if it is paid for he was so surprised and said "of course not, you know, the times are hard
and you are just one of many applicants" WTF blink.gif

At least he was honest about it.
Then a few months later I had another interview in Sweden
and that one felt like..please take the job, we need you..
+
Elf_Moon
post 7.Feb.2013, 09:58 PM
Post #19

Haha, that's not even the half of it.

And yeah... Sounds pretty standard to me!

With regards to my work, I don't want to say what I do because I would like to keep details like that private, it is a white collar job, that's as much as I'll say biggrin.gif

Well... In my last job in the UK I was sick and had been forced to take three days off, once. Once! They went crazy and wanted doctors notes, even made me sit through a crazy hour long 'back to work' meeting...

I would understand if I'd been ill before but that was my first time, the whole meeting felt accusatory and uncomfortable, more so as my nose was running like a waterfall, my skin and lips were sore and she asked lots of awkward personal questions- she said every time I was ill they would take me through the same meeting... I wanted to take the questionnaire and write 'I QUIT' across the front of it, throughout the whole thing. Subsequently, I resigned a week later, go figure.

I should probably stop ranting now biggrin.gif
+
dgd
post 9.Feb.2013, 09:58 PM
Post #20

A few different perceptions of London. It can be difficult in London, if you don't know the place or have any contacts/friends.

But for work, it's the land of milk and honey. Work hard and get a good job/more pay on merit and vice versa. It's the ultimate capitalist model and it works simply because if you have skills then you will thrive, without question. Of course, there's discrimination, but nothing like the amount you find in Sweden. London is a wonderful multi-cultural place - I've worked with/employed people from India, Pakistan, Sweden, Australia, Colombia, Germany, New Zealand, Ethiopia and South Africa.

It's almost the complete opposite of the Swedish quasi socio/communist model. So the downside of London (and England) is that everything is effectively de-regulated - in other words it's a free for all, a rat race.
+
ljtaylor88
post 11.Feb.2013, 08:43 AM
Post #21

QUOTE (Skugglegend @ 5.Feb.2013, 12:35 AM) *
I went to Manchester and I fell in Love, that´s England for me, the good England. But London It´s just a dirty, unfriendly shit hole

Seconded. Lived in Manchester for 4 years, loved it. Cost of living lower, proximity to the Lakes, Wales, etc. Unfortunately it is not as grand for jobs, which I think is why a lot of people drag themselves to London in the first place. If I moved back to England it would be to Manc.

Honestly, I recommend living outside London for the genuine British experience, because London is NOT like the rest of the UK. People from London are great, people who move there suddenly become over pretentious and above everyone, I have lost a few friends to the place.
+
Pursuivant
post 11.Feb.2013, 10:55 AM
Post #22

Well, I'm in IT and working "not-in-London" but going there often. I can say I've blended in pretty well, not seen any of that "pay" or "for merit" stuff, but haven't seen a bonus last 2003 or so.

What it comes to sick days etc. its quite a "culture shock" to someone used to the Nordic model where health issues have all kinds of "private" stamps all over it. Nevermind Swedish sjukdagar... Here in UK its basically one point in your yearly performance evaluation - how many days sick you have taken off!

I recommend living outside London for the genuine British experience

Yeah, go to Boston in the Fens laugh.gif
+
Pursuivant
post 11.Feb.2013, 10:58 AM
Post #23

And "London" is huge. Now you can claim to be "living in London" and you're in one of those overpriced dingleberries off M25 still commuting 2 hours to work.
+
ljtaylor88
post 12.Feb.2013, 01:30 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 11.Feb.2013, 10:55 AM) *
Yeah, go to Boston in the Fens laugh.gif

What are you talking about, Peterborough is distinctly more...Lithuanian biggrin.gif
+
ljtaylor88
post 12.Feb.2013, 01:36 PM
Post #25

I have to second the comments here about sick leave in the UK. The other day I was dizzy and unable to see my computer screen, but I decided to hold on for as long as possible because in the UK you feel as if you can't tell anyone you are sick without it being extremely evident or putting on some kind of "woe is me" voice.

Mentioned it to my boss and he even drove me home! Spent the afternoon sleeping and felt significantly better, was able to come in the following day.
+
Pursuivant
post 12.Feb.2013, 01:53 PM
Post #26

What are you talking about, Peterborough is distinctly more...Lithuanian biggrin.gif

You talking of Petrograd on the way to Leicesterstan?
+
Beef
post 12.Feb.2013, 05:33 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (ljtaylor88 @ 12.Feb.2013, 01:36 PM) *
I have to second the comments here about sick leave in the UK. The other day I was dizzy and unable to see my computer screen, but I decided to hold on for as long as possible ... (show full quote)

And my Swedish employer makes me account for every hour. If I'm sick, I get nothing the first day. If I'm sick after 2 weeks I get statutory pay only and have to fill in a form and go through a phone interview just to get that. I was seriously ill last year and I didn't need that. My UK 4 or so previous employers gave me 12-26 weeks full sick pay if I remember correctly. If you can communicate with your bosses I never saw issues with sick leave in the UK. It's horses for courses..
+
ljtaylor88
post 13.Feb.2013, 10:25 AM
Post #28

Ah, I cannot account for long term sick leave and the policy that governs it (any time I have had to take a day or two off for say, a cold, I have lost pay for it, both here and at home). But if you feel like pants and want to avoid spreading your germs around the office, it seems Swedish employers are happy to allow you to work from home or go home in the afternoon, say.
+
skogsbo
post 13.Feb.2013, 10:40 AM
Post #29

QUOTE (Beef @ 12.Feb.2013, 05:33 PM) *
And my Swedish employer makes me account for every hour. If I'm sick, I get nothing the first day. If I'm sick after 2 weeks I get statutory pay only and have to fill ... (show full quote)

Bet they were pleased you moved to Sweden, if you were forever off sick. Sick pay, should be done through personal insurance. The self employed don't have anyone picking up the tab, they'd be bankrupt if they spent 3or 4 months off work, so why should anybody else employer fund it?
+
Beef
post 13.Feb.2013, 11:07 AM
Post #30

I was never sick in the UK. I never said I was.. I'm just stating the contracts that I worked under which was fairly standard. As for other working conditions, I was paid a salary and expected to complete my job, whether it be 9-5, 8-4 or sometimes from home. My hours weren't checked and clocked like they are in Sweden. That's all I'm saying.. Good and bad in both countries and as another posted wrote, there is no standard in the UK so everything depends on the employer.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com