• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »    Reply to this topic

Romanian vs Swedish name

Guy trying to join the employment club

Yorkshireman
post 6.Feb.2013, 02:58 PM
Post #46

QUOTE (Mo @ 6.Feb.2013, 02:50 PM) *
But we also need the data for numbers in these categories of working age, many Swedish 40 talisterna retiring at the moment which might explain the decline in number of Swedes employed

I would say that data is irrelevant, those jobs anyone retired from either disappeared or were filled by someone either born in Sweden, or not.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Feb.2013, 07:01 PM
Post #47

I too have been discriminated against...I'm white, male and older...yes it does happen!

Even though I thought my qualifications were what was needed...I was not hired.

These practices are commonplace everywhere you go...I am surprised that people aren't more realistic about...the facts of employment!

Although I am retired for years...what happened then still happens now.

There was also a movement to hire on a racial basis because we needed racial diversity in the business world...there were "quotas" as to how many of what kind should make up your staff...maybe the OP ran into something of that sort...you know we have enough of you now so no thank you, kind of thing.

The bottom line is go out and do your best, seeking employment is a really hard thing to do...don't look for things things that will make you unhappy...we all have the same experience at one time or another.

P/S: When I got the resume of a person who might be a candidate for my position...I was very wary...if you get the drift! laugh.gif
+
Svensksmith
post 6.Feb.2013, 08:17 PM
Post #48

There's all kinds of discrimination. When my daughter was looking for college scholarships, there were many available for minorities and poor, but not much out there for middle class white girls. She's going to have to borrow money just as I did. Where's my Obamaphone???
+
SergioSver
post 9.Feb.2013, 12:29 AM
Post #49

QUOTE (SergioSver @ 6.Feb.2013, 02:21 PM) *
What if an employer wants to cut on the safety regulations or remove them all together as it would make his products/ services cheaper?

That does happen, all too often unfortunately, and there is legislation around health and safty that makes it an employers responsibility and have to pay penalties.

Exactly, and we have also, apart from safety legislation, anti-discrimination laws that should be enforced in this case and would make people responsible for this practice (ethnic discrimination) to pay some penalties.

QUOTE (SergioSver @ 6.Feb.2013, 02:21 PM) *
What if he is convinced that a child labor should be employed as he thinks that children have nimbler fingers and more dexterous? Should he be allowed to do this?

Happens outside of Sweden... However, to be caught doing this is very bad publicity for a company and can effect sales->Profit. So it isn't done (in public anyway). THe majority of businesses would in many cases like every piece of legislation that effects their profitability removed if possible biggrin.gif ...I truely hope you dont really have this naive view of business?

Certainly, I do not hold this naive view of the business, and if we take this notion to the logical conclusion we could just as well institute new or even old form of slavery if it is profitable for the business.

My point was that we do not allow business to do what he would like to and rightly so. I see no reason why we should allow them to discriminate on the basis of name and surname of the applicant.

It is not really possible on the one hand to blame immigrants for many vices in Sweden, and on the other to condone or even support worse treatment of ethnic minorities for some arbitrary reason.
+
elina.stene
post 9.Feb.2013, 03:57 AM
Post #50

I wouldn't hire any Romanians either ... Or anyone of our "neighbours" from the middle east either. I'd prefer to stick to other native swedes or Western Europeans. At least that way I know I'll be able to speak Swedish or English at an advanced level with my colleagues without dumbing it down or slowing to a snail's pace. Their personal hygiene would be my next concern.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Feb.2013, 05:50 AM
Post #51

And that's the other thing...for whatever reason you just may not hit it off with your interviewer...you may like a different football team and lose out...hey, you never know...do you?
+
Mo
post 9.Feb.2013, 10:54 AM
Post #52

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 6.Feb.2013, 02:58 PM) *
I would say that data is irrelevant, those jobs anyone retired from either disappeared or were filled by someone either born in Sweden, or not.

I Think you miss my point - I am interested in rates not in absolute numbers, otherwise any larger country is de facto better. Similarly a year where the size of the population of working age and ethnicity changes compared to another year cannot be compared simply by looking at the enumerator but one must also have the denominator.
+
cogito
post 9.Feb.2013, 11:46 AM
Post #53

QUOTE (Potentialexpat @ 6.Feb.2013, 08:02 AM) *
You could do this same study in the US with a name like Tyrone, Lopez, vs a guy named David, bob, Peter ETC, and find similar results.

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 6.Feb.2013, 08:05 AM) *
the only person who broke this rule is a guy called Obama.

Huh? What rule?

If you're talking about achievements of minorities...there are 43 African-Americans in the U.S.Congress, and countless judges, lawyers and college professors.There are 31 Latinos ("Lopez" in your words) in the U.S. Congress.

If you mean academic achievement...could be rules were broken. Obama has paid lawyers over a million dollars to have all his scholastic records sealed. No knows how he gained admittance to prestigious universities nor how well he did while there.

And a list of the achievements of Italian-Americans (or "Tyrones" in your words) would require several thousand words.

Facts are pesky things
+
Coolrunnings
post 9.Feb.2013, 01:31 PM
Post #54

Nothing new. This name discrimination been going on in Sweden for the last 2 decades and has been mentioned in the news countless times without effect. It's just a show for the international community that Sweden is so cosmopolitan. Swedes can hire whoever they want, not our problem if their company or country goes down the drain later is it? wink.gif

First the social democrats protected their people from non-swedish labour forces by restricting work permits and then the moderates allowed it as an excuse to later justify that immigrants cannot integrate and hence must be offered lower wages compared to Swedes. That is the discussion they are having now.

Do you really think the best and brightest doctors, technicians, programmers etc. come to Sweden to work at current wage levels? Not a chance.

And those non-eu who get work permits are often getting paid very low wages by fellow countrymen or swedes who press their wages.
+
vicky7
post 9.Feb.2013, 01:37 PM
Post #55

Quite surprising that Swedes in general are not not even friendly to east or south europeans.
+
Mark249
post 9.Feb.2013, 01:43 PM
Post #56

I'm white and west european. My ancestors came from Belgium to this country 400 years ago and my non-swedish name has always been a problem. So, conform or move out to better pastures.
+
skogsbo
post 9.Feb.2013, 01:45 PM
Post #57

QUOTE (cogito @ 9.Feb.2013, 11:46 AM) *
If you mean academic achievement...could be rules were broken. Obama has paid lawyers over a million dollars to have all his scholastic records sealed. No knows how he gained ... (show full quote)

does it matter, he wasn't elected as a lawyer or for his education. As he was hardly running for office when he gained a place at university, he had as much chance to float the system as any other American? Or is it because he's president now, that it matters?

Compared to your last president, at least Obama can 'probably' spell rocket, even if he isn't a rocket scientist! smile.gif
+
Migga
post 9.Feb.2013, 06:47 PM
Post #58

QUOTE (Coolrunnings @ 9.Feb.2013, 01:31 PM) *
Swedes can hire whoever they want, not our problem if their company or country goes down the drain later is it? wink.gif

So Sweden is going down the drain later? I`d say the multicultural USA is going down the drain way deeper and faster then Sweden.

QUOTE (vicky7 @ 9.Feb.2013, 01:37 PM) *
Quite surprising that Swedes in general are not not even friendly to east or south europeans.

In general? Really, that a fact? Got any more made up negative generalisations up your sleeve?
+
oddsock
post 10.Feb.2013, 02:26 PM
Post #59

Interesting that you criticise people for not coming up with facts and making sweeping generalisations, literally two seconds after you said this:

I`d say the multicultural USA is going down the drain way deeper and faster then Sweden.

You are an enormous hypocrite.
+
Migga
post 10.Feb.2013, 03:13 PM
Post #60

QUOTE (oddsock @ 10.Feb.2013, 02:26 PM) *
Interesting that you criticise people for not coming up with facts and making sweeping generalisations, literally two seconds after you said this:. You are an enormous hypocrite.

My comment was hardly intended to generalise about the USA or it`s companies. I made an counter argument to debunk the posters point. The poster I answer hinted towards that companies with a homogeneous ethnicity will do worse then a heterogeneous one, my argument is that by looking to the USA his point is invalid. Facts show that the USA is in a worse economical crisis then Sweden. If his point was true then the USA would do better. But ethnicity is hardly the deciding matter, so he`s wrong in more then one way.

It`s obvious you don`t want to understand my points you are only out to paint me in a bad light.
+

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se