• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Claiming benefits from the government

Job seekers

jharris87
post 11.Feb.2013, 06:08 PM
Post #1

Good afternoon fellow expats and readers.

A brief story of myself.

I moved to Sweden last year and I have been almost living here for a year.

I heard that Sweden was a tough place to get a job, however, after being here for a month I managed to fix myself a job within 'Kundtjänst'.
After working there for just over half a year I decided to leave as I needed to study Swedish in order to develop my career in this country.
I thought this was a good idea at the time because I know how much you need Swedish to progress within the job market.

However, I have searched for part-time jobs and full-time while studying Swedish and my course is due to finish in March. But unfortunately I am hitting a wall with finding any jobs.

I am struggling with money and decided to contact Alfa-kassan.
After waiting for a few weeks, I received a response today saying that I am not entitled to any benefits because I am studying Swedish.

I was under the impression that because I worked for nearly 7 months that I would be entitled to some kind of financial aid as I am struggling to support myself and depend on my partner for everything.

I am not the usual one to claim benefits, but it seems like I am being punished now for leaving my job and trying to do the right thing with learning swedish.
I have to say that it has back-fired on me in an unpleasant way.

I just need a little help.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 11.Feb.2013, 06:50 PM
Post #2

If you had joined A-kassan and had worked one year you might be entitled to money while seeking a job but not for going to school.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 11.Feb.2013, 06:54 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (jharris87 @ 11.Feb.2013, 07:08 PM) *
I was under the impression that because I worked for nearly 7 months that I would be entitled to some kind of financial aid as I am struggling to support myself and depend on ... (show full quote)

Yes, but the catch is that you cannot study at the same time as you collect unemployment benefits. This is to prevent people from using unemployment benefits to finance their studies.
+
CathySky
post 11.Feb.2013, 07:07 PM
Post #4

You are a student, you are NOT entitled to A-kassa.

You are however entitled to studiebidrag from csn.

PS: why leave a paying job for sfi? Couldn't you learn Swedish on the job?
+
jharris87
post 11.Feb.2013, 07:45 PM
Post #5

Hi to the people who replied.

I worked in Borås and travelled from Göteborg.
I got back in from work around 8pm every night.

However, I did try and learn Swedish part-time but I was not getting anywhere fast as my job was
In English plus the long days.

Leaving my job and doing SFI was the best thing at the time to try and progress with my career.
I studied construction management in the UK and can't get anywhere here without fluent Swedish.

At the moment I study SFI 15 hours a week which is free and look for jobs in the other 25 hours.

Apparently I am not entitled to studielån.
+
Yorkshireman
post 11.Feb.2013, 07:57 PM
Post #6

Do you mean you joined an a-kassa and paid a monthly fee? If so, then for the income related portion you have to have been a paying member for 12 months, but for the basic benefit they will calculate the time worked during the last 12 months. Since you gave up the job, then you also have no right to payments until 52 days after leaving. And you must be registered as looking for work with Arbetsförmedlingen ...from day 1 of unemployment. Leaving it too long before applying gives them the right to say you did not meet the conditions stipulated in the a-kassa rules.

Whether paid-member or looking for basic benefit, you must register as looking for work with Arbetförmedlingen, if you are studying at SFI then You are not looking for work (technically), however sometimes Arbetsförmedlingen can advise to a-kassa etc... special exceptions where this is allowed.

Normal qualification rule for any study loans is 2 years resident in Sweden.
+
jharris87
post 11.Feb.2013, 11:30 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the info.

I have been registered with Arbetförmedlingen from day 1.
I have met up with them a few times and discussed my plan of action in regards to finding a job etc.

Arbetförmedlingen registered me with a-Kassan on our first meeting, so they were aware of my situation with regards to attending SFI and it didn't seem to be a problem at the time.

I will be talking with them tomorrow to see if they can do anything on my behalf.

With my current understanding of this situation I believe I would have been better off learning Swedish and looking for jobs at home!

If anything, I am trying to be more productive with learning the Swedish instead of sitting at home claiming all kinds of benefits.
+
elina.stene
post 11.Feb.2013, 11:59 PM
Post #8

lol claim unemployment benefits off me will you ...
+
alexsv
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:43 AM
Post #9

wich type of resident you came here, is it sambo visa?

Anyway , Arbetsförmedlingen will not support u unless you did praktik

But the the thing that you forgot is unemployment benefits can be collected through your kummon (sos)

you must register to your nearst kummon and book interviews with them.

They will check that you dont have any financial support right now.

CSN is system wich finance you as banks do , with intrest rate , you must return the money plus its intrest

So , its bad system for conditions we have in sweden (high jobless and unemployment rate).
+
Yorkshireman
post 12.Feb.2013, 01:50 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (jharris87 @ 11.Feb.2013, 11:30 PM) *
Arbetförmedlingen registered me with a-Kassan on our first meeting, so they were aware of my situation with regards to attending SFI and it didn't seem to be a problem at the time.

Arbetförmedlingen only inform your a-kassa that you have registered with them, but which a-kassa did you join in the past? Alpha-Kassa, or something else? ... are you actually a member of an a-kassa?

In addition to that, there are strict rules for entitlement, not only the registration time, but also you must meet the number of hours worked within a qualifying 12 month period backwards. eg. 80 hours per month for 6 consecutive months. If you do not meet the conditions with regards past work, you are not entitled to payment. So, how many hours per month did you work, did you get the intyg from your employer about working hours? What were the working hours? ...and are you registered with Right of Residence, or some kind of permit? (it does make a difference!)

And as I already mentioned, you quit the job, this means you are certainly not entitled to any payment from a-kassa until 52 days ...which I should have added previously is working days, so effectively 10.5 weeks.

QUOTE (jharris87 @ 11.Feb.2013, 11:30 PM) *
If anything, I am trying to be more productive with learning the Swedish instead of sitting at home claiming all kinds of benefits.

Depending upon which permit you have, then maybe You can get Arbetsförmedlingen to help with step-in job, they can arrange it so that you learn Swedish and work at the same time smile.gif ...and the employer gets financial assistance also!
+
skogsbo
post 12.Feb.2013, 07:48 AM
Post #11

I would grovel to your previous employer if I was you.
+
jharris87
post 12.Feb.2013, 11:22 AM
Post #12

Thanks again for the replies.

I am on a sambo visa, like many other expats here who have moved here because of a Swedish partner. (Right of residence for 2 years, then I can apply for a permanent residence)

I worked for 7 months last year for a total of 40 hours per week, full-time. Ieft my job at the end of August 2011. So I am entitled to the basic benefit from a-kassan. (But apparently not because I study 15 ours of Swedish with SFI per week)

A praktik plats would be great, but Arbetförmedlingen have not helped me with that. Basically they helped me with my action plan, but then I am the one who has to look for employers to see if they want my services. Once I have found an employer to take me on, that's when I should contact Arbetförmedlingen so that they pay for my placement. (I thought this was a great initiative by them).

My CV and personal letter is sent in Swedish or English, depending on what company I am applying for.

But this is proving to be difficult also, even though I would be potentially a free worker to them, they are reluctant to take me on.
I got a list of 60 construction companies within Gothenburg and 30 of them have already said NO within a couple of weeks.

I am 26 this year and have not managed to get a decent job for nearly 3 years. I graduated in 2010, right in the middle of the construction recession in the UK. I got any type of work in the UK just to see me by, then we decided to move to Sweden.
I got a job within a month, but within customer service, not ideal with my qualifications but I wasn't complaining because a job is a job.

But now I want a chance in my career, so I had to leave that job, concentrate on Swedish and now I don't get any help what so ever.
To be entitled to some kind of student loan (but really I am not a student) I would have to of lived here for 2 years.
A-kassan have said no because I am a student (15 hours studying, 25 hours applying for jobs and visiting Arbetförmedlingen)

This is all just frustrating.
+
Migga
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:03 PM
Post #13

It sounds to me that you bit off more than you can chew. You should have worked longer and saved up capital so that you could support yourself when studying swedish.
+
Pursuivant
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:49 PM
Post #14

Basically, your problem is that you expected the system to work for you. The system works for the system, you need to fit in for a smooth ride. If you don't "fit in" its not the system that will budge. The system is a steam hammer playing the lemmings game - don't poke your head out.
The choices you made were your own, so next time you get an idea, don't "think" the system might work- "know" exactly how the system works. And no, its not logical, nor is it always sensible, or fair...remember the lemming and the steam hammer.
+
skogsbo
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:59 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Migga @ 12.Feb.2013, 12:03 PM) *
It sounds to me that you bit off more than you can chew. You should have worked longer and saved up capital so that you could support yourself when studying swedish.

Or at least research the next stage first.

Back to the UK and bank some cash, learning Swedish at same time?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply