• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

New SVT law: why should I pay?

And how to avoid TV fees

oddsock
post 11.Feb.2013, 10:34 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Andrey Kiselev @ 11.Feb.2013, 10:25 PM) *
Hm... If they can assume that I consume their product just because I have internet connection, then I can also easily assume that I did not use it before I reported to them smile.gif

This is big brother Sweden. The internet company is probably required to report your custom to Radiotjänst when requested.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 11.Feb.2013, 10:43 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Andrey Kiselev @ 11.Feb.2013, 10:25 PM) *
Hm... If they can assume that I consume their product just because I have internet connection, then I can also easily assume that I did not use it before I reported to them smile.gif

Yes but when you do not pay the huge bill they simply send it to KRONOFOGDEN and they don't take no for an answer.
+
byke
post 11.Feb.2013, 10:48 PM
Post #18

Again, this hasn't been ruled on in a court of law.
But there are numerous questions this interpretation faces in regards to Human Rights if they decide to push through with such a notion.

Such as article 10, and also article 12 in regards to the right to privacy.

Recently the EU courts ruled on a case regarding photos taken and sold without permission from a fashion show. The photographer lost, however the court did rule the following :

In order to justify any verdict based on the copyright monopoly laws, the court must therefore also show that the verdict is “necessary in a democratic society”.

Now there are exemptions to Article 10 that has in the past allowed states to enforce monopoly laws regarding licence fee's relating to TV and the airwaves that were used to broadcast the older forms of signals, in part due to the restricted amount of space allocated to such airspace.

But as technology has changed this has had profound implications in regards to content delivery, and how the exemptions in article 10 regarding state monopolies are able to roll it out into other forms of transmission space (if any) and unfortunately it will be a while before such cases are brought forth and heard.

The issue I have is that such interpretations dont look to protect articles such as 10 and 12.
But more so look to exploit the current laws and society without choice.

I cant see Radiotjanst being able to backdate any laws up to 4 years, given that they themseleves have only just started about this new interpretation since SVT started to roll out internet streaming from February 2013. But then again, it has very little to do with law and more so about revenue collection.
+
jostein
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:08 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (axiom @ 11.Feb.2013, 09:09 PM) *
..If you move to Sweden part of your responsibility for being a part of the society is following these rules. But you can opt out, by getting rid of your TV and disconnecting ... (show full quote)

Killing oneself is probably the safest escape from being unfairly screwed by the swedish state.
+
as8
post 12.Feb.2013, 01:01 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (axiom @ 11.Feb.2013, 10:09 PM) *
So Sweden is a structured society built around a common understanding of the citizenry and how they would like the society to be. Part of this, is that they contribute to main ... (show full quote)

+1

I wish they would just make this a tax already.

as8
+
oddsock
post 12.Feb.2013, 01:29 PM
Post #21

Why?

I am happy to pay tax and charges for health care, education, police, fire service, roads, social security, water systems, sewerage systems, airports, train lines, etc.

Why the hell should television entertainment be included in tax? Since when were Melodifestivalen broadcasts necessary for the running of the country?

It shouldn't be in the tax. The television licence system is ideal. Those who choose to watch such TV entertainment can happily pay the fee. Those who don't watch it, shouldn't have to. That is what the "Swedish citizenry" agreed to by introducing the TV licence.

And the internet, far from making this situation of opting out more difficult, should actually make it easier! Those persons who pay their TV-avgift can have their home IP-address added to a database. SVT can block everyone who doesn't pay. It's really easy.

Also, the argument that we should support SVT because it is somehow unbiased in its news reporting is laughable. Like all public service broadcasters, I've never seen them repeatedly pose a government minister a really tough question that made him/her squirm badly.

Public service TV is a 1960s cold war relic from when you needed a broadcast service to tell you where the bomb was about to be dropped.
+
Snood
post 12.Feb.2013, 01:37 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (as8 @ 12.Feb.2013, 01:01 PM) *
I wish they would just make this a tax already.

I think not. There are some really simple ways they could implement this as a true subscription system. If you pay the fee you get a password that together with your personal number allows you to stream content online. Each personal number could be restricted to say 2 concurrently connected IP addresses to stop password sharing.

The broadcast receiving equipment rule (television received over the air or via a subscription service such as comhem) can continue to be enforced as it currently is.

there is absolutely no justification for making this a universal fee for a "service" which is not critical to the functioning of modern society.
+
ljtaylor88
post 12.Feb.2013, 01:50 PM
Post #23

When I heard about this I thought it was total bull. And no, it is not "cheating the system" if you don't pay for something that is a) not a tax (and nor should it be) and cool.gif you have no intention of using. We have a TV in our apartment so whatever, we have to cough up. But we do not watch SVT or anything else for that matter, it is genuinely awful television. Never used SVT Play either. The TV is for Netflix and the PS3.

I second the idea that SVT should issue its customers with a passcode so if you don't pay, you don't get TV. Thing is, I suspect that they won't because I am pretty certain a grand portion of the country will soon find that they can live without Swedish terrestrial TV. And SVT will lose money hand over fist.

We have a similar problem with the BBC, who would LOVE to charge people a TV licence simply for having an Internet connection. The fact that old ladies can get slung in jail over an unpaid TV licence more easily than a rapist or murderer is laughable; embarassingly, painfully laughable. I suppose on the upside the BBC and Channel 4 do make better programmes than SVT, but it's still not that awesome. I'd rather spend the money I spend on my TV licence on a 12 month subscription to my local climbing gym.
+
byke
post 12.Feb.2013, 02:01 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (ljtaylor88 @ 12.Feb.2013, 01:50 PM) *
We have a similar problem with the BBC, who would LOVE to charge people a TV licence simply for having an Internet connection. The fact that old ladies can get slung in jail o ... (show full quote)

What are you on about?
The BBC doesnt charge a licence for internet users?

It requires that anyone who watches live TV, regardless of the way its transmitted to pay a licence.
But there is no fee across the board to any internet users (or even TV for the use of games and dvd's).

In the UK, the fee is only charged for those that uses the BBC for live TV.
+
dstergiou
post 12.Feb.2013, 02:35 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (axiom @ 11.Feb.2013, 09:09 PM) *
If you move to Sweden part of your responsibility for being a part of the society is following these rules. But you can opt out, by getting rid of your TV and disconnecting yo ... (show full quote)

Although academically i agree with you (on supporting the Swedish way), i have a huge problem with this. My problem is that i had the internet connection long before SVT decided to stream. And not only that, the internet connection is a work tool for me (since i work in IT). The work tool allows me to have income, on which i am properly taxed

SVT chose to stream, good for them. I do not consume their product, nor i have any intention to consume it, especially since i don't speak Swedish. I like the Swedish way of life but i won't contribute to "fascist" decisions - "pay us because we decided we will stream"
+
bobthedog
post 12.Feb.2013, 05:06 PM
Post #26

The license fee doesn't only cover the TV, it also includes the radio; which is a thousand times better than the TV; but I suspect I'm the only person who ever listens to it
+
Keithy
post 12.Feb.2013, 08:13 PM
Post #27

I think it is wrong to charge people for a service they do not use or want. It's bad enough that they get away with this when someone owns a TV, it's even worse when they charge you because you have an internet connection. Could they not just give a couple of internet logins with every TV licence? It's not rocket science. It's a shame that collectivist law so often seems to trump individual choice. They chose to start streaming online, why is that anyone else's problem?
+
Andrey Kiselev
post 12.Feb.2013, 10:55 PM
Post #28

Thanks for your replies!

Apart from frequency licencing, which this payment was initially about...

One can charge me "for something" I intentionally consume, but no one can charge me just "because".

I believe, if I will pay this TV licence now just because I have internet connection, then some day I will have to pay just because I exist as a human being.

I also do not wish to pay anything just because one is so lazy/greedy that he or she is streaming content over the public network instead of introducing a simple purchase/billing system.

I am also not going to pay anything until they manage to charge people is other countries. If those people have internet connection, why don't they pay?!
+
Yorkshireman
post 12.Feb.2013, 11:34 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (oddsock @ 11.Feb.2013, 10:34 PM) *
This is big brother Sweden. The internet company is probably required to report your custom to Radiotjänst when requested.

No at the moment, that would require a law change, which I suspect would be a bit of a fight to get through biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Andrey Kiselev @ 12.Feb.2013, 10:55 PM) *
I believe, if I will pay this TV licence now just because I have internet connection, then some day I will have to pay just because I exist as a human being.

Alas, as the saying goes, you can't avoid death or taxes... and in Sweden they go one step further by taxing in advance for death also ...begravningsavgift on your tax declaration! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Andrey Kiselev @ 12.Feb.2013, 10:55 PM) *
I also do not wish to pay anything just because one is so lazy/greedy that he or she is streaming content over the public network instead of introducing a simple purchase/billing system.

The argument originally for Public Braodcasting is that they produce the programs that other private channels do not ...so there is merit in that respect, however from what I see on the SVT listings every now and then is that they are now buying more and more of the rubbish that is already on the other channels, once that point is reached it should be questioned if SVT should exist or not!

Radio is however another issue, there the Px channels are not that bad smile.gif ...but, there I think the general population has room to complain since nowadays even that has gone less mainstream ...it seems like you have to belong to a minority group to become employed and have programs! ...though in that respect it is a public service that other radio channels wouldn't cater for.
+
oddsock
post 13.Feb.2013, 12:15 AM
Post #30

Alas, as the saying goes, you can't avoid death or taxes... and in Sweden they go one step further by taxing in advance for death also ...begravningsavgift on your tax declaration

What if I am buried somwhere else? Can my family reclaim my years of Begravningsavgift? biggrin.gif
+

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply