• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Gothenburg congestion charge system (Trängselskatt)

Your experiences/thoughts/opinion

sunshyne
post 13.Feb.2013, 11:03 PM
Post #1

Hello all,

What do you have to say about this newly introduced Göteborg congestion charge system. In my opinion there is no serious congestion in Goteborg so why the charge? Secondly, how do you pay this tax? Have you ever called Transportstyrelsen's customer service to lodge a complaint?

Your experiences, thoughts and opinions are welcome!
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 13.Feb.2013, 11:32 PM
Post #2

I¨m not a car driver but this charge really annoys me. Firstly they promissed a referendum which never happened. Unfortunately as usual, people start demonstrating after the system is in use. Secondly it is very unpopular and if there had of been a referendum it had of been a no vote but as usual the politicians in GbG do not represent or respect the people.

It is as you say a congestion charge to stop people going into the town but they even charge you for going out of town as the E6. In Lindholmen they have 3 cameras, Thats not the town.

It has been said that it is for the enviroment but that is untrue as it is just a way to gather in more taxes. Also concerning the taxes it has been stated that if fewer people use the roads going through the pay stations then they may have to increase the charges.

If i had a car i would use it and the council know that people will as the busses and trams are pathetic. Who would leave their car in a garage and use public transport, not many.

Car drivers already pay car tax. Isn´t that enough.
+
Mpf
post 14.Feb.2013, 10:54 AM
Post #3

We have had this in Stockholm for a while and I raised the same question. If it is a congestion charge, why are you billed for leaving the congestion zone? Surely you are penalised for entering the zone and being part of the problem but by leaving the zone you are also penalised for removing yourself from the problem which is all a bit wierd.

Also the congestion charge is slightly cheaper in Gbg compared to Shlm. Why is that?

I also found it quite amusing when they introduced the scheme in Shlm initially all ecco cars were free. Subsequently many people bought ecco cars and now they have started to charge them too, which I agree with as it is a congestion charge not a green tax (I might be wrong), if it is a green tax then they should say that it is a green tax rather than trying to pump it up to mean something else. As for congestion, I have seen absolutely no reduction in the amount of congestion in and around Shlm since its introduction, so guess it isn't doing what it was designed to do, reduce congestion, again of course maybe it was just designed to create revenue!
+
Yorkshireman
post 14.Feb.2013, 11:16 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (sunshyne @ 13.Feb.2013, 11:03 PM) *
What do you have to say about this newly introduced Göteborg congestion charge system. In my opinion there is no serious congestion in Goteborg so why the charge? Secondly, h ... (show full quote)

You pay the tax after receiving an invoice/statement that shows the number of jouneys times/charge etc... The cameras capture specific wavelengths(s) of infra-red to read the number plates of vehicles and it is processed automatically. There are exceptions where it cannot identify the reg.nr. and those are handled manually where possible. The invoice is sent the month after the journeys are recorded. So, just like paying any invoice.

It is important to differenciate between charge and tax, they are not interchangeable in this context. Only Parliament can impose new taxes, which is why Kommuns can only create new charges. It also makes a difference within EU context, since if it was a charge for travelling on the road then under EU regulations the monies collected must be used for the roads, where-as being a Tax imposed by Parliament means that it is outside of EU regulations and the Government can do whatever it likes with the revenue. Subtle but important difference.

So, even whilst say Göteborg Kommun may say they would hold a referrendum with regards the Tax, the result is largly irrelevant, apart from voters stating their opinion, since it is Parliamnt that imposes the tax wink.gif not Göteborg Kommun.
+
ljtaylor88
post 14.Feb.2013, 06:41 PM
Post #5

The trängselskatt in Göteborg is to help contribute to new infrastructure (the new bridge, for one) as well as reduce congestion. Although I agree there isn't very much congestion in the town, I think this is one of the reasons the government has trotted out for its introduction. According to Wikipedia

Trängselskatt i Göteborg är en skatt tas ut från och med den 1 januari 2013 på utvalda platser i Göteborg, enligt ett beslut fattat av riksdagen den 26 maj 2012.[1] Huvudsyftena med trängselskatten är att minska fordonsträngseln i Göteborgs centrum, förbättra framkomligheten och miljön i innerstaden och på utvalda sträckor med trängsel (och sträckor det skulle bli trängsel av de som vill undvika skatten) samt bekosta stora infrastruktursatsningar i Göteborgsområdet

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr%C3%A4ngsel...i_G%C3%B6teborg

The planned improvements to local infrastructure are probably also the reason why income tax is slightly higher here (33% as opposed to around 30% in other parts of the country).

Have to say I take public transport to work now and I have noticed there are reduced waiting and additional buses during peak hours. As there will be actual infrastructural improvements, I'm OK with the congestion charge. I don't mind paying taxes when I see what we are getting for them. I felt that was less the case in the UK, especially with public transport. I know Västtrafik are far from perfect, but based on my experiences back at home they are at least 99% more reliable!

However, for the amount of tax we pay here I would like to see some more affordable housing built...I guess that's another forum topic entirely... rolleyes.gif
+
Hisingen
post 14.Feb.2013, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Say what you like about Gbg. the city is being run by a load of ne'er do wells. This so-called (most definitely the right description) congestion tax is being extorted due to the fact that a ring road, that would have alleviated any congestion, should have been built some fifty years ago, taking all through traffic away from the city altogether. Now Gbg has become the centre of political devastation.
The Västtrafik ticket system bought from Australia has cost a considerable fortune and still does not work properly despite umpteen corerctions and modifications.
The trams used by Västtrafik, bought by politicians blinded by the low price from Italy are already rusting away despite them not having been in service very much - that due to their design and construction being far from satisfactory.
Västlänken - the proposed new traffic system which is destined to disrupt the city for many years ahead and is looked upon by the politicians 'running' the city as a prestigious monument to their cleverness, but as a traffic improvement will be some 60 years too late.
Council housing officials have been documenting the faults and failings of its residents for the past ten years or so, against all regulations regarding Personal Data Collection.
Various individuals have been in question regarding 'work done on the side to private property being paid for via invoices to the council, and well-salted invoices covering other long-drawn-out contracts.
You name it, Gbg is falling under that category. A city in decline in all respects.
Yes, and they even now tax people for LEAVING the city. My guess is that many will be glad to leave that city.
I am certainly glad to be an Ex Göteborgare.
+
sumodaz
post 15.Feb.2013, 09:12 AM
Post #7

I live in Änggården which is just inside the congestion zone, it means that now instead of me going to the local retail park (outside of the city) to do my weekly food shop, i am now encouraged to drive my car further into the city to avoid paying the congestion charge. It makes no sense to not give a discount to residents who live inside the zone, in London, they get a 90% discount. Also, how can they put cameras on the E6 and get away with saying it's to ease congestion?
+
skogsbo
post 15.Feb.2013, 09:23 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (sumodaz @ 15.Feb.2013, 09:12 AM) *
Also, how can they put cameras on the E6 and get away with saying it's to ease congestion?

that's why i'm annoyed / confused by, I'm travelling past there next week, and I'll get billed for not going anywhere nearer an urban area or the town centre. I'll get billed for by-passing the place !! I could come off early, weave my way through miles of streets, avoid the tunnel and come back on the motorway around the McDonalds/Scandic hotel junction to the north, but then I'll add to urban congestion.

Taxing the motorway, is a tax for the sake of generating income, in no other name.
+
Darwinder
post 15.Feb.2013, 04:00 PM
Post #9

They could have been a lot smarter in how they set it up, and perhaps a bit more honest to the people living in the new lindholmen developments that have 3 cameras surrounding there building and get tagged no matter where they are going. As for me, I bought a new bike and have started bike commuting the 15km round trip daily, wasn't so thrilled o have my hand forced but who wants to pay an extra 1k a month.
+
PDX
post 15.Feb.2013, 04:10 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Darwinder @ 15.Feb.2013, 04:00 PM) *
As for me, I bought a new bike and have started bike commuting the 15km round trip daily, wasn't so thrilled o have my hand forced but who wants to pay an extra 1k a month.

This sounds to me like the congestion charge did it's job perfectly? unsure.gif

You save cash, government saves cash too from your reduced medical expenses.

~~~PDX~~~
+
Hisingen
post 15.Feb.2013, 07:14 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (PDX @ 15.Feb.2013, 04:10 PM) *
This sounds to me like the congestion charge did it's job perfectly? unsure.gif . You save cash, government saves cash too from your reduced medical expenses.. ~~~PDX~~~

The governemnt saves cash in that respect, but the Gbg council loses cash for its stupendous plans for the 'Western Link'. If more folks adopt this attittude the whole scheme will eventually never be financed since they are counting on a not-inconsiderable income from the tolls to fill the city coffers.
If, as and when I ever plan to visit Gbg in the future it certainly will not be during the week as I have no intention of assisting those in power in the city to add 'I did this' to their CV. especially with their golden handshakes and gilt-edged pensions that make a normal salary look like pin money.
+
EtoileBrilliant
post 18.Feb.2013, 12:47 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (sumodaz @ 15.Feb.2013, 09:12 AM) *
It makes no sense to not give a discount to residents who live inside the zone, in London, they get a 90% discount

The difference is in London a parked car going nowhere gets charged. In Stockholm/Gothenburg providing you don't breach the zone perimeter no charge is incurred. A much better system IMHO
+
sunshyne
post 27.Feb.2013, 11:41 AM
Post #13

Thank you all for your wonderful comments I did appreciate it, but do you think that tourism has been affected because of congestion tax in Stockholm as regards to car rental companies?
+
PDX
post 27.Feb.2013, 12:03 PM
Post #14

Tourists do not rent cars to access the inner Stockholm that is covered by the congestion tax. You would have to be mad to do that rolleyes.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
DaveN
post 1.Mar.2013, 05:47 PM
Post #15

Well I got my first bill today, for going past Göteborg on the motorway. A whole 16 kronor! By the time they take off the cost of printing the letter, the paper, the envelope, stuffing the envelope, and the postage, (not to mention the cost of the leccy and IT systems) there won't be much left to improve the infrastructure in Göteborg itself.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com