• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Banks that allow cash withdrawal from branch

Are there any in Sweden?

Timepiece
post 18.Feb.2013, 08:28 PM
Post #1

So, I am with Danskebank, I stupidly entered my pin on my Mastercard debit incorrectly too many times and it locked the card. Fine, my fault. I rang the bank and they said they had to send me a new card, also not a problem. But when I mentioned going in to the branch to withdraw cash for the week that it will take the card to arrive (at least, the first card took 2 weeks to arrive), the lady said that you can't withdraw cash from any Danskebank branches!

When I said I have no way of accessing money until the card arrives, she asked if I had a friend I could borrow money from. So, is this a standard policy of banks in Sweden? If not, who does allow cash withdrawals? I will switch to them.
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 18.Feb.2013, 08:42 PM
Post #2

Swedish banks are moving more and more towards being cashless. What some do is have co-operation with other banks that do have cash in offices, maybe Danske Bank have a partnership where you can withdraw cash from your account? Ask them again about that. I know Forex-bank is a partner with some banks where the offices don't handle cash.
+
Essingen
post 18.Feb.2013, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Svenska Handelsbanken still offers cash processing.
+
Garry Jones
post 18.Feb.2013, 10:14 PM
Post #4

I lost my Visa on holiday. I cancelled it, 2 minutes later I found it again between the pages of a book in my pocket. I phoned back and the stupid idiot on the phone refused to uncancel my card. What a daft service!

So I went to the next town - Halmstad - as there was no Nordea branch in Laholm.

In Halmstad I asked for my money. I needed to pay for the hotel and a train ticket home.
Me: Hi
Clerk: Hi
Me: Check my account
Clerk You have 156000 SEK
Me: Good, I need 7000 SEK
Clerk: We have no cash
Me: This is a bank?
Clerk: Yes
Me: You have my money?
Clerk: Yes
Me: Give me some
Clerk: No
Me: I want my money
Clerk: You can't have it
Me: But I want it, you have my money, this is a bank
Clerk: You can't have it
Me: OK, give me 7000 and take 3000 for yourself, I have to pay my hotel today and buy my train ticket home
Clerk: Sorry, can't help you
Me: Is this on film?
Clerk: Sorry?
Me: Candid Camera?
Clerk: No, this is a modern Swedish bank
Me: Bank? No, this is a Monty Python Set, Come out John Cleese
Clerk: Sorry, we have no cash

This is how we left it.

I had to sell my watch to a pawnbrokers for 11 000 SEK to pay my hotel. I never got back to unpawn it and lost 20 000 SEK on the deal. I have now closed my bank account and advise everyone in Sweden to move their account to Handelsbanken. Their staff are professional and they will never ever stop cash.

I have no understanding for banks that refuse to handle cash in emergencies. When they do this I have the same contempt for the fact you can't uncancel a cancelled card.
+
oddsock
post 19.Feb.2013, 01:51 AM
Post #5

Bank offices now no longer give you cash and tell you to pay your bills on the internet.

And the idiots in the bank offices are proud of this. Don't they realise that they will soon be out of a job?
+
byke
post 19.Feb.2013, 02:28 AM
Post #6

Well they could always work for Radiotjanst, since paying bills will most likely be an interpretation to incur a TV license fee.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 19.Feb.2013, 03:20 AM
Post #7

Aaaaahhhhhh...the paperless economy.

And now this...in NYC the water bill that was quarterly will now be monthly!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+
skogsbo
post 19.Feb.2013, 07:51 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Garry Jones @ 18.Feb.2013, 10:14 PM) *
advise everyone in Sweden to move their account to Handelsbanken. Their staff are professional and they will never ever stop cash.

Swedbank is scaling down too, in rural places only opening 2 or 3 days a week, limiting cash etc.. So Handelsbanken is mopping up their customers.
+
Essingen
post 19.Feb.2013, 09:30 AM
Post #9

Cash handling is something that banks lose money on. So don't expect to be able to use Handelsbanken for cash if you are a customer of Nordea or Swedbank. They will want you to be a customer with them. Of course, in emergency situations, there are solutions to this...even if the bank doesn't have any cash. Nordea should have been able to help in the circumstances described.
+
Timepiece
post 19.Feb.2013, 10:19 AM
Post #10

OK.

So, if Handelsbanken offers cash in branches, I will be moving to them!
+
skogsbo
post 19.Feb.2013, 10:27 AM
Post #11

We have just done the same with the kids savings accounts, so at least they can pay their money in, in person, plus handels.. has always given us a better service. I think a lot of older people who don't like getting cash out of machines on the street and remembering pin numbers are moving too.
+
Yorkshireman
post 19.Feb.2013, 10:32 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Timepiece @ 19.Feb.2013, 10:19 AM) *
So, if Handelsbanken offers cash in branches, I will be moving to them!

Good choice wink.gif ...Handelsbanken is the only bank that has actually stated that it's intention is to keep the branches with cash, and actually increase the number, whilst all other banks are saying they are cutting down. Though, if I think for cash amounts greater than 10.000:- you have to pre-book, as they try to not have too much cash in the offices!
+
Pursuivant
post 19.Feb.2013, 10:50 AM
Post #13

Wasn't the ombudsman ranting about this "no cash" especially re: older people? Or was that just for show?
+
Timepiece
post 19.Feb.2013, 10:53 AM
Post #14

Heading in to the branch shortly to sign up!
+
Essingen
post 19.Feb.2013, 11:25 AM
Post #15

There are other reasons for going for Handelsbanken as well. It has never needed any form of state guarantees. They pay very few bonuses (although they do have a profit sharing scheme for all employees).
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com