• Sweden edition
 
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

UK Citizen - Couple of questions

Job hunting

hejhej900
post 19.Feb.2013, 03:07 PM
Post #1
Joined: 19.Feb.2013

Hej, Im 22 and a full UK citizen, born and bread and Im hopefully looking to come over to Stockholm in May for 4 months and work (Im working on my Swedish, only know simple words and sentences) and if all goes well, Ill stay longer. I have a place to stay with full support, so Im hoping getting my right of residence wont be too much of a hassle?

Anyways, I've seen previous posts asking similar questions, but they seem pretty outdated by a couple years. I already have a list of british\irish\aussie pubs which I will start calling and looking into this week. But can you guys suggest any pubs and restaurants that hire british people or people that know little swedish? Or any work for that matter. Im not a picky person and will work anywhere, may it be cleaning, berry picking, sandwich making, factory work, I am a very open minded person will happily try anything new. Any summer work!!
I've always managed to find and have a job living in the uk, Im not afraid to go out and hand out 50 odd CVs, I feel im pretty determined.

Another thing I might add, is I am fully qualified in body massage, aromatherapy and reflexology - running my own small mobile business - how difficult would it be for me to set up something like that in Stockholm? or what would it be like me finding work in a Spa ?

Im not expecting any miracles and I know it is going to be bloody hard work - I've seen a lot of positive and negative stories about English people moving to Sweden, and Im not asking for them here, just suggestions of places I could look to apply for over the summer - like anywhere !

Tack !!!
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 19.Feb.2013, 03:14 PM
Post #2
Joined: 10.Dec.2010

I hope you meant 50 CVs per day.
Go to the top of the page
+
hejhej900
post 19.Feb.2013, 03:22 PM
Post #3
Joined: 19.Feb.2013

If thats what it takes !
Go to the top of the page
+
John.Smith
post 19.Feb.2013, 03:26 PM
Post #4
Location: Sweden
Joined: 12.Sep.2011

QUOTE (hejhej900 @ 19.Feb.2013, 03:07 PM) *
Im not a picky person and will work anywhere, I am a very open minded person will happily try anything new. I am fully qualified in body massage....

Ahhhh.... what about Amsterdam? rolleyes.gif

Trying to find unskilled work such as bars, cleaning, waiting tables etc... is hard to do in advance. Generally it is the luck of the day, i.e. calling in on a day where they are stuck. Berry picking is back breaking work and usually you will find most pickers quite far North of Stockholm.
The best way to get work is to use any Swedish friends over here to put the word out!
Go to the top of the page
+
hejhej900
post 19.Feb.2013, 03:31 PM
Post #5
Joined: 19.Feb.2013

Yes, luckily I have some swedish buddies
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 19.Feb.2013, 03:38 PM
Post #6
Joined: 10.Dec.2010

It will take more than 50 CVs. Best of luck to you however. Here are some problems to be aware of. Youth unemployment is at 25%. Summer jobs are now being listed and filled. Lots of people look for Summer jobs. Many businesses slow down during Summer. Swedish unemployed and others qualified get up to 85% of their wages subsidized by the government making you 6 times more expensive to hire. You will not get right of residence easily. Without speaking Swedish you have not much chance at work. English pubs are a possibility yet of course they are flooded with applications. Please come and try however do not count on finding a Summer job. Once again good luck.
Go to the top of the page
+
hejhej900
post 19.Feb.2013, 03:49 PM
Post #7
Joined: 19.Feb.2013

QUOTE (johnjohn @ 19.Feb.2013, 02:38 PM) *
You will not get right of residence easily.

I don't expect it to be 'here have a form, okej, awesome, welcome to Sweden' but could you explain more to me on why you think it wont be 'easy'?
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 19.Feb.2013, 03:58 PM
Post #8
Joined: 10.Dec.2010

You can come as a job seeker that is not a problem. To register your right of residence you must have a long term job offer or adequate means of support and comprehensive health insurance. Without this you will not get a person number. Without a person number many, not all, places will not hire you. Spend some time using the search field as these threads are common.
Go to the top of the page
+
hejhej900
post 19.Feb.2013, 04:09 PM
Post #9
Joined: 19.Feb.2013

QUOTE (johnjohn @ 19.Feb.2013, 02:58 PM) *
adequate means of support and comprehensive health insurance.

I have the support and do you mean the E111 or EHIC?
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 19.Feb.2013, 04:20 PM
Post #10
Joined: 10.Dec.2010

What do you mean by support? Staying with friends is not concerned support by the Swedish government standards. You must demonstrate some means of income or savings adequate for one year's stay. Unless your friends commit to paying all your rent and expenses and even then it would be highly suspect by the government. The health insurance is not just in case of emergencies but comprehensive although I don't know what it is called, see other threads for this using search.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 19.Feb.2013, 04:44 PM
Post #11
Joined: 10.Dec.2010

Use your contacts here the best you can as 95% of your chances of finding a job lies with your network the other 5% will be having very good luck.
Go to the top of the page
+
Mib
post 19.Feb.2013, 04:57 PM
Post #12
Joined: 7.Jul.2006

Come over, set yourself a time limit to find a job before your cashflow cathces up with you....maybe you can get 3 months benefits while abroad as I understand?

It's the luck of the draw....some get very lucky...others don't. Sending CVs may work, but better to visit places face to face than via a piece of paper. Settin up your own business might be the better route as at least you can start asap...but you need to get word of mouth (via friends) etc to do that. It's tough, but not impossible
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 19.Feb.2013, 05:49 PM
Post #13
Joined: 22.Nov.2011

QUOTE (hejhej900 @ 19.Feb.2013, 04:09 PM) *
I have the support and do you mean the E111 or EHIC?

That You need otherwise you will have to pay the full cost of medical treatment, but it only covers urgent treatment in reality. What the previous poster meant by not being able to get a personal number is that under EU rules job seekers are not considered residents of the Member State they are looking for work in, they are considered residents of the Member State they come from, and can only stay looking for work for a maximum of 6 months. You will not be entered into the Swedish population register, hence no personal number.

Many summer jobs are exactly that, just for the summer, which again will mean not being able to be entered into the population register. With regards companies that offer summer positions, those are filled either by contacts, friends kids or family.

Youth unemployment is 25%-ish, but what wasn't mentioned is that immigrant youth unemployment is much higher, almost double that!

You might be lucky once over here to find a temporary position for a bar during the summer.
Go to the top of the page
+
Elf_Moon
post 19.Feb.2013, 09:07 PM
Post #14
Location: Stockholm
Joined: 5.Sep.2012

I feel terrible for saying this Hejhej but your skillset isn't particularly needed in Sweden so you will have a very hard time, more so at the moment.

However, having said that, the outlook was supposed to be terrible for me as well but it worked out wonderfully! Though, my skillset is extremely under represented in most countries and I made sure to get some contacts under my belt, so I found work within a few months (and that was a long time considering!)

I do hate to be pessimistic but you may have to consider your time in Sweden to be a long holiday with a distant hope of finding some supporting work, because you really do have to know Swedish really well or be really sought after in terms of what you do.

This doesn't answer your question but as the others have done, I just wanted to really make sure that you understand what you are getting yourself into.
Go to the top of the page
+
David S
post 19.Feb.2013, 09:45 PM
Post #15
Location: Gävle
Joined: 12.Oct.2005

QUOTE (hejhej900 @ 19.Feb.2013, 04:07 PM) *
Hej, Im 22 and a full UK citizen, born and bread and Im hopefully looking to come over to Stockholm in May for 4 months and work (Im working on my Swedish, only know simple wo ... (show full quote)

You need proof of an income of around (if I recall correctly) 13000SEK/mth, or 12 months equivalent. Without that you will not be able to register your right of residence. They can't kick you out unless you become a "burden" on Sweden, and you can then walk right back in again, but alas, no personnummer.

If someone is willing to offer you even part-time work what you can do is get a samordningsnummer which they can use to pay taxes and you can use to open a bank account.
Go to the top of the page
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 

748
jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com