• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Renting a house in Sweden?

Rental companies

voggy
post 19.Feb.2013, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Hi Guys,

Moving to Sweden in the next couple of months and struggling to try and rent a house near Nykopping to Stockholm?

Everything seems to be apartments and even though my wife is Swedish and has registered with the local housing authority, we are struggling to find a company that rents houses as a per the UK rental market. At present my wife has moved over with my child and is stayng with her parents but ideally we want a house to move in to for when I move over.

We have a reasonable budget but seems difficut to find the right companies to deal with. If anyone has any advice or experienced the same when moving over then that would be appreciated. Also is there a time limit so to speak regarding being able to apply for a mortgage?

Cheers
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 19.Feb.2013, 06:14 PM
Post #2

There is no demand for house rentals in the middle of nowhere, so none are being offered either. You can find a good selection of villas to rent in Stockholm.

Not sure what you mean by time limit for a loan. The banks evaluate each applicant independently. If you are seen as a worthwhile customer, there are no limitations.

~~~PDX~~~
+
voggy
post 20.Feb.2013, 04:27 PM
Post #3

Hi Thanks for the reply but to be fair Nykopping is not that small and plenty of houses, just don't know which company to contact to put interest in a house. Not like the UK where there are more rental agencies than actual houses?

Regarding timescales I was led to beleive that a bank would want you to be living in Sweden for at least 2 years before they consider offering a mortgage? Primarily this is down to the fact that your credit history does not move from one country to another.
+
Willy
post 20.Feb.2013, 05:00 PM
Post #4

I assume you mean Nyköping. (Just a tip, you might want to spell properly if you want people to take you seriously.)

You have already been given the answer. There is no demand for renting houses outside of the main cities and therefore no supply. You might still be able to find one, but it is definitely not mainstream.
+
PDX
post 20.Feb.2013, 06:50 PM
Post #5

Just to be clear what I meant by "the middle of nowhere". The entire Sweden is kind of empty when compared to the Great Britain:

Population density of Sweden: 21 / square kilometer

Population density of Great Britain: 277 / quare kilometer

The demand for rentals in rural areas is just not there...

~~~PDX~~~
+
voggy
post 20.Feb.2013, 07:14 PM
Post #6

Thank you PDX for your reply much appreciated.

Willy no need to be condescending as it is unbecoming, but thank you for the spelling lesson!!! I am sure my Swedish will be better once I move over!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se