• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Police turned away murder suspect due to after hr

Share your story with Swedish police here!

Max Reaver
post 20.Feb.2013, 12:50 PM
Post #1

I was referring to this news:

http://www.thelocal.se/46286/20130219/

Anyway, thought it would be very interesting to hear your story/encounter or hearsay with the Swedish police. I'll start with some of my own.

I lived in Uppsala for many years. Uppsala police seems to be excellent at handing out parking fines above anything else. There's a parking lot near the train station, part of it was owned by car rental companies, the other parts were for visitors. Once my mom came to visit, she parked the car there and paid properly. When she went back, she found a ticket issued by Uppsala police, the reason was the particular square she parked on was not for visitors. We looked up all the signs around the area and found no indication of that. All the reserved parking area were clearly marked. So we sent a formal complaint to Uppsala Polisen after paying the fine (you have to pay no matter what). Now it's been almost two years, we have yet to hear back from them.

A Chinese friend of mine once got his credit card hacked. He went to a restaurant in Uppsala, when paying the bill the waiter took his credit card to the counter. He wanted to go along with her, but she said he didn't need to. Three days later, someone purchased stuff for 1000 euro from an Italian web shop using his card. As he said, it was the only time his card left him in Sweden. He reported this to Uppsala police, two weeks later they said since the crime was committed outside the Swedish border, there was nothing they could do. They didn't even try to investigate anything or anybody from that restaurant. Truth be told, there is surprisingly little you can do when being a victim of such theft.

In Uppsala, bikes get stolen all the time. A Swedish friend of mine lost his bike in winter, he tracked his bike trail to an apartment and asked around ppl in the neighborhood. They told him in that area bikes get stolen alot. He managed to narrow down the suspect to one particular apartment, then he called the police. Being a very eloquent guy as he was (much more so than you and me, I assure you), he spent half an hour on the phone to convince the officer to grant him a search warrant. Two officers came and found his bike in the storage room. In the end a serial-bike thief got busted because one guy managed to act smarter than the cop.
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 20.Feb.2013, 01:04 PM
Post #2

Swedish police are spending increasingly more time and resources taking care of stray cats.

“A typical cat case takes about half a day for two people, but not all cases are that smooth. Some take several days,” Loof said.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/world/swed...ats-349252.html
+
PDX
post 20.Feb.2013, 01:07 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Max Reaver @ 20.Feb.2013, 01:50 PM) *
I was referring to this news:. They didn't even try to investigate anything or anybody from that restaurant. Truth be told, there is surprisingly little you can do when being a victim of such theft.

Hi byke,

There is surprisingly little you need to do, other than issue a chargeback request to the credit card company:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chargeback . Have been a "victim" of this twice over the years, a short phone call resulted in elimination all of the fraudulent charges.

Police itself will not investigate such crimes, not in Sweden, nor anywhere else. It is simply not cost effective and the "evidence" you supply as to the restaurant's involvement in the crime is purely speculative and circumstantial.

~~~PDX~~~
+
PDX
post 20.Feb.2013, 01:10 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Max Reaver @ 20.Feb.2013, 01:50 PM) *
In Uppsala, bikes get stolen all the time.

Hi again byke,

Do you understand what kind of police force would be required to investigate all of the bike thefts?

Again, have had two bikes stolen in Sweden and submitted a report online in both cases. One of them was recovered by police some months later (likely through completely unrelated investigation, I was not told what).

~~~PDX~~~
+
Max Reaver
post 20.Feb.2013, 07:37 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (PDX @ 20.Feb.2013, 01:07 PM) *
Hi byke,There is surprisingly little you need to do, other than issue a chargeback request to the credit card company:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chargeback . Have been a &qu ... (show full quote)

Hi PDX, I'm not byke.

I know in Swedish banks you could do that. But my friend used credit card from Bank of China. I know it sounds unbelievable, but his bank demanded him to pay up and never allowed any form of chargeback. He could only get his money back following a successful investigation. Apparently since such credit issuers exist and the police have to run the cost-effect calculation before doing anything, it basically means if you are a small fish conducting such shady business, nobody will catch you.

As for your "speculative and circumstantial" claim, I won't entirely disagree. That is why before evidence is found, you call somebody "murder suspect" instead of "murderer". Every investigation have to start with speculative and circumstantial observations, which eventually may or may not lead to solid evidence.

Also quoting the real "byke", what is the cost-effective solution for 2 cops to save a cat?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com