• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Swedish univercity students?

Please I need your opinion

not_to_shabby27
post 21.Feb.2013, 01:31 PM
Post #1

I am an Australian born in Australia and living in Australia , both my parents are Swedish but live here with me in Australia, i am a Swedish citizen but iv only visited Sweden 4 times. I am ashamed to say that i do not know much of the Swedish language at all. Having said that I am thinking of moving to Sweden to study at university. I am a fast learner and i am certain i can pick up the basics of the language soon .. But i do not think i can reach the level required to understand university classes and lectures soon. is there help for English speaking students at Swedish universities? do you think it will be to hard for me? Your help is much appreciated
Go to the top of the page
+
shahjee
post 21.Feb.2013, 02:46 PM
Post #2

There are hundreds of courses in English in Swedish Universities, no worries about that and Swedes are very open when it comes to speaking in English. Go for English studies. there are 100s of bachelors and masters programmes in english
+
nickoledlaird
post 21.Feb.2013, 02:47 PM
Post #3

There are university programs here taught in English. I guess it depends on what you would like to study. In order to study programs in Swedish you need to be qualified with Svenska B. Theres a number of options to do this. You can study SFI, svenska som andraspråk, take the TISUS or enroll in a university program that prepares you to be Svenska B. I am currently enrolled in a 90 hp (1 and a half year, 30 hp per term) program which qualifies me to take university level courses in Swedish after I have received all points.
+
oddsock
post 21.Feb.2013, 07:31 PM
Post #4

One thing you have on your side is that you won't have to demonstrate your proficiency in Swedish in order to be accepted by the university. You have a Swedish passport and Swedish sounding name, so they will most likely assume that you speak Swedish. You will also be able to get a job.
+
polartwist
post 21.Feb.2013, 07:43 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (oddsock @ 21.Feb.2013, 07:31 PM) *
You have a Swedish passport and Swedish sounding name, so they will most likely assume that you speak Swedish. You will also be able to get a job.

But you are obsessed! Or you just like to raise flames maybe...
+
nickoledlaird
post 21.Feb.2013, 09:59 PM
Post #6

Why would one think that one is automatically entered into a program if they are a Swedish citizen and have a Swedish name? You have to send in documentation with your application to prove your qualifications. If they see no mention of previous studies how can they evaluate your Swedish level and therefore admit you into a Swedish university program taught in Swedish.
+
oddsock
post 22.Feb.2013, 01:52 AM
Post #7

I once applied to university in the UK with a high school diploma from Europe. My nationality and name was that of an English speaking country. Nothing was mentioned about English proficiency tests. For all they know I may have never spoken a word of English in my life. I was accepted there. I didn't end up going.

These application systems are much less savvy than you think.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se