• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Can I rent a tool to break my bike lock?

I broke the key and I cannot open it.

faibol
post 21.Feb.2013, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Hello everyone!
I bought a bike and a quite thick U-shaped lock a few months ago. I was going to move it 2 weeks ago but the lock was stuck (probably a little bit frozen) and after a few attempts the key broke in half. I cannot get the lock to turn, and my bike is stuck in one of those bike-parking things by my old apartment (quite far away from where I live now).

Anyways, I went to Clas Ohlson and even called the police (call me stupid, but I am sure they have the tools), and also some locksmiths... The thing is that I do not want to spend a lot of money in buying a tool that I would only use once (I am not planning to start stealing bikes :S) and they charge me over 1000kr for opening the lock...

Does any of you might have a tool to break the lock or any idea of what I can do?

Thank you very much!
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 21.Feb.2013, 06:01 PM
Post #2

What make of lock is it?
+
PDX
post 21.Feb.2013, 06:12 PM
Post #3

Pay the locksmith. 1000kr is about right for their time (as most is MOMS and other taxes, the guy will keep a small fraction of this himself).

If you're in Stockholm, I could come by and help out. I've always wanted to try doing it the professional way:

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-08/...ps-bike-thieves

You'll need to spend 200kr on this:
http://www.netonnet.se/art/foto/tillbehor/...le/103147.3349/

~~~PDX~~~
+
Johno
post 21.Feb.2013, 06:31 PM
Post #4

Surely buy a bolt cutter (bultsax) http://www.jula.se/search-result/?q=BULTSAX Success depends on the quality of the lock. ie better quality, harder to cut.
+
byke
post 21.Feb.2013, 07:27 PM
Post #5

You will struggle with those ...
Most u_locks are made from hardened steel.

Does the U-Lock take a round key ? (like a radiator) or a flat key (like a front door)
+
Svensksmith
post 21.Feb.2013, 09:43 PM
Post #6

Say PDX, does that technique work on chastity belts? I'm dying to get mine off.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 21.Feb.2013, 10:09 PM
Post #7

Weren't Swedish women encouraged to wear them a few years ago to protect them from rape...naturally being me, I won't say who the rapers were, they needed protection from. rolleyes.gif
+
beefbroff
post 22.Feb.2013, 09:25 AM
Post #8

Hi there,

If you have access to power then an angle grinder (vinkelslip) should do it.
You can hire these from power tool suppliers.

Good luck.
+
beefbroff
post 22.Feb.2013, 02:46 PM
Post #9

There you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgI_KL7n4o
+
Rick Methven
post 22.Feb.2013, 02:58 PM
Post #10

If the D lock is approved, then it will be of hardened steel and you will need a powerful grinder and a diamond tipped disk which will cost around 2,000kr so more expensive that the locksmith who should also be able to save the lock for further use
+
beefbroff
post 22.Feb.2013, 08:08 PM
Post #11

Not the case mate. I used to work in a bike shop and we managed to get through the best locks with ordinary disks.
No diamond needed.
+
David S
post 22.Feb.2013, 08:37 PM
Post #12

Yeah, I cut a lock off one of our bikes with a grinder last year. Didn't take long at all.
+
jackityjack
post 22.Feb.2013, 09:14 PM
Post #13

you could buy and angle grinder from claas ohlsson and separately buy the discs. use it and take the grinder back to the shop when you are finished saying it was 'unsuitable' and get a refund - all you pay for are the discs.
+
Mo
post 22.Feb.2013, 11:11 PM
Post #14

back when I was a teenager an acquantaince used to get past U locks by spraying them with plumbers mate (the stuff that freezes the water in a pipe) and then hitting them hard with a hammer. Freezing the lock makes them brittle and then it is just brute force to get the metal to crack - course you have to know just where to hit it to get the notched part to crack

fwiw
+
faibol
post 4.Mar.2013, 03:31 PM
Post #15

Wow! thank you all so much! All the answers were really helpful!
I decided to call a locksmith and get it over with. Because I am constantly moving and I won't be needing the tools anymore... at least I hope so...
wink.gif Thank you again, have a good day!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN