• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Outrage over Stockholm cops' 'racial profiling'

Id'ing non Swedes, particularly Brown and Black

EthnicDravidian
post 23.Feb.2013, 03:10 PM
Post #1

http://www.thelocal.se/46330/20130221/#.USjLv1c-ZWE

I saw this disturbing article a couple of days ago, and couldn't see any discussion happening, so am starting this. I have put down my experience.

' I often go to Copenhagen to visit my family friends from Vaxjo, Everytime i cross over Malmo by train the TC would ask for an ID, i used to show it promptly, I was aware that I was non swede and they r cheking my ID, then it continued every time i boarded the train to CPH or back. I was once travelling with a couple from middle east ( They were fair ofcourse) and this TC comes and asks my ID and smiles at the middle eastern couple and leaves. That left me puzzled, so what should i think ? They ID'ed me because i wasn't fair enough ? These kind of experiences are disturbing in Sweden.
Go to the top of the page
+
polartwist
post 23.Feb.2013, 03:17 PM
Post #2

What TC stands for? Are the guys that check the tickets?
+
EthnicDravidian
post 23.Feb.2013, 03:20 PM
Post #3

yeah, the Ticket Collector.
+
jostein
post 23.Feb.2013, 03:29 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (EthnicDravidian @ 23.Feb.2013, 02:10 PM) *
http://www.thelocal.se/46330/20130221/#.USjLv1c-ZWEI saw this disturbing article a couple of days ago, and couldn't see any discussion happening, so am starting this. I ha ... (show full quote)

Im quite ugly. And when we hear the noise of thunger and the man comes around he screens me too. Fret not. uglybuggly and cutiepretty are thrown on the bonfire in a spirit of communion and brotherly love.
+
Yorkshireman
post 23.Feb.2013, 03:52 PM
Post #5

It would be a complete waste of time to target people that do not fit a profile of illegal immigrants. I would suspect that the main part of that profile = doesn't look Swedish! unsure.gif ...as the person claiming descrimination says ...the policeman said he was suspected of being illegal, when he saw the passport he then apologised ...hardly racial descrimination, actually sounded quite polite! ...for a change.

What I will say though is ...sorry, but it is raising incidents like this fast into the media, when it clearly is a targeted id-check looking for people that have not only broken the law with regards staying illegal in Sweden, but probably also work+tax laws (since they were going to use the train the money must have come from somewhere = income) ... makes employers realise more-and-more how sensitive the situation is when employing immigrants. It doesn't help the cause to get everyone into work sad.gif
+
Micardo
post 23.Feb.2013, 07:21 PM
Post #6

If they are looking for illegals then they surely must target persons who do not look swedish, and that means more people with brown skins get stopped, its fact. Although it must be a pain to get stopped because of your colour, if you are here legally and you show yout ID, how long does it take? I think the real problem is perhaps the attitude of the border cops, maybe they need to be a little more polite and civil when dealing with people ?? If someone is polite and friendly to you an ID check should not cause a problem. Should it ??? I saw on the TV a programme from the Uk where they were checking at a rail station. They had two guys with reflex jackets with IMMIGRATION CONTROL in big letters and they checked anyone with the wrong body language, of course most of those were dark skinned also.
+
rainonme
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:03 PM
Post #7

Very disturbing indeed, I'm sorry you've experienced this. It's reminiscent of Germany prior to WWII where Jews had to have papers on them at all times, or during slavery in the US when Blacks--free or otherwise--were subject to similar treatment.

It's more than just 'a pain' or an inconvenience to get stopped because of your skin color, it's humiliating. And I'm sure it feels rather violating when your own country, somewhere you were born and raised, treats you as if you don't belong. The idea that because of your skin color, not your body language or even your way of dress, means you ought to be regarded with suspicion, is reprehensible.

There's nothing wrong with protecting your borders or deporting undocumented immigrants, however there's a way to go about it without dehumanizing your own citizens.
+
Svensksmith
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:18 PM
Post #8

Okay, so what, you get stopped by the ticket checker. Big f'ing deal. Face it, you look different than the average Swede. It's likely that the ticket collectors have been having problems with ethnic minorities so he or she is just reacting to current conditions. I bet I, as a white man, would be targeted for a lot worse if I were to move to Saudi Arabia, Somolia, etc. Getting stopped by athorities is a relativly small inconvenience. Chalk it up as a small price to pay for being a pioneer and moving to a country much different than your home. A few years from now, it most likely won't be an issue.
+
Micardo
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:19 PM
Post #9

So how should they do this and keep everyone happy and still be able to do their job ??? I think its a situation where whatever they do, left or right, hard or soft approach, will be wrong in someones eyes.
+
skogsbo
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:29 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 23.Feb.2013, 10:18 PM) *
. I bet I, as a white man, would be targeted for a lot worse if I were to move to Saudi Arabia, Somolia, etc. Getting stopped by athorities is a relativly small inconvenience.

I've had the pleasure of using middle east sports facilities on the 1 day per week dedicated to 'white males', I didn't moan, start a blog, a thread, start a riot or write book. Whilst didn't like it, I just took it on the chin and got on with life, somethings are just not that important, don't sweat the small stuff, as the saying goes.

QUOTE (Micardo @ 23.Feb.2013, 10:19 PM) *
So how should they do this and keep everyone happy and still be able to do their job ??? I think its a situation where whatever they do, left or right, hard or soft approach, ... (show full quote)

I agree, they are pretty much stuffed, it's not the police role to be popular, just to do their job.
+
Micardo
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:34 PM
Post #11

You have it exactly right, they are not employed to be popular but to protect US
+
Children Of Adam
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:39 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 23.Feb.2013, 10:18 PM) *
I bet I, as a white man, would be targeted for a lot worse if I were to move to Saudi Arabia, Somolia, etc.

What a shame! you are comparing Somalia with Sweden.
+
Svensksmith
post 24.Feb.2013, 12:13 AM
Post #13

What's the shame in it? Both are countries, both start with the letter "S", both have people living in them, both have seacoasts. Sure, I like Sweden better, it has a semi-functional government and police force.
+
Potentialexpat
post 24.Feb.2013, 02:04 AM
Post #14

I kind of understand things from the cops perspective, and honesty making a big deal out of this is kind of rediculous. The cops were even kind enough to actually apologize for making a wrong call.

I remember when I was 16 walking to my house, and a cop roled up, and asked me in my own neighborhood. "Do you live around here?" I then said that I did, and then demanded to know my address. Knowing how LAPD operates I told him my address which was only a few blocks away. I then was asked "Then what are you doing here?" All I could respond was "Walking home officer." For awhile there was an awkward silence, and the cop said "Alright you can go now."

Basically I was interrogated, and treated like a criminal in my neighborhood walking home from school. It was 4;00 an hour after school ended, and I had a backpack fitting the profile of a typical high school student. I lived in a rather middle-Upper class area, and know I was stopped for my skin color. Honestly in a country with Swedens demographics I would not be suprised If I was asked to show my papers. This person really wasn't mistreated by the cops at all, and was even given an apology. I think this Chilean should have an expierience with the honorable Los Angelesnpolice Department before complaining about this "Mistreatment."
+
Coolrunnings
post 24.Feb.2013, 07:43 AM
Post #15

Only half effective with profiling. They should profile everybody so that we get rid of EU migrants who have no reason to be here.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se