• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Can everyone really know your salary?

Urban legend or not?

Kibiri
post 26.Feb.2013, 10:31 PM
Post #16

Apart from total declared income, it also shows income from employment. That is practically the yearly salary, including bonuses and similar money from work.
Go to the top of the page
+
Willy
post 26.Feb.2013, 10:31 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (cdebarace @ 26.Feb.2013, 05:37 PM) *
I even found this site that proposes to sell the profiles of some random citizens.

QUOTE (Johno @ 26.Feb.2013, 05:49 PM) *
It doesnt propose, it does give information for a small fee, and for all citizens who submit a tax return, not random ones.

The OP is French, I believe. In French "proposer" means more like "offer (for sale)". There's a whole bunch of verbs that mean almost the same thing in English, quite annoying: demander, commander, interroger... smile.gif

On topic: It's historically there to ensure transparency and fairness. Of course, in the pre-Internet days, the information wasn't as accessible as it is today. The main source was the "taxeringskalender", a phone-book-sized publication for each county. At least where I grew up, you certainly didn't want to be seen with it in public...

PDX: Since the rates are different, I believe "förvärvsinkomst" and "inkomst av kapital" are separated, the former being your salary plus personal business income.
+
Beavis
post 26.Feb.2013, 11:20 PM
Post #18

swedens pathetic lack of privacy laws is a scammers wet dream. you can ask the tax office for somones info , then the week after open up a company in their name adn run up millions in debts. Have had this done to us twice already, had the police involved the works. Its also why many people who are hiding from abusive spouces have to leave the country.
Hopefully Sweden will be forced to follow eu law soon and stop openly giving out private information like this.Pathetic, just so you can see what xxx makes... mind your business!
+
cdebarace
post 27.Feb.2013, 02:40 PM
Post #19

This is really nuts : no way to hide, your address, age, income, partnership, and what else?

Next time I am gonna discover that the gynecologist reports of my Gf are also public information. Or the Aids tests even. This is in everyone's interest to have full transparency after all, so why shouldn't you checkout the health of a girl you meet at a club before you bring her home?

I talked about it aroud me and I am surprised that everyone thinks it normal to have the very detail of your life available for sale on internet or on free access by request to Skatteverket. You can assume that Swede are all angels and will make a considerate use of those informations, but you also have stalkers, nutcase, enviers here, who can wrongly use it.
+
Abe L
post 27.Feb.2013, 04:37 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (PDX @ 26.Feb.2013, 09:58 PM) *
Erm.. could someone prove me wrong? As far as I understand it, the information Skatteverket provides is the total taxable income, so salary details are not available (as taxab ... (show full quote)

This applies to a very marginal portion of the population. For the majority the total taxable income consist of salary and minor interest gains.

Sweden doesn't have a bonus culture either outside of the regular industries. You get paid as much as your coworkers despite your effort, achievements and corporate success based on your performance.
+
skogsbo
post 27.Feb.2013, 05:21 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Beavis @ 26.Feb.2013, 11:20 PM) *
swedens pathetic lack of privacy laws is a scammers wet dream. you can ask the tax office for somones info , then the week after open up a company in their name adn run up mil ... (show full quote)

it not like with a bit of work you couldn't get this information in any other country either. Identity theft is a global problem, partially helped because people love putting loads of personal information online! Add to that things like electoral rolls etc. and it's all there. if you want to go up a level, then a bit dumpster diving.
+
explore3788
post 27.Feb.2013, 05:32 PM
Post #22

The electoral roll in the UK..one can opt to be left out of the part of the register(edited register) that is available to the general public. As for looking into the actual electoral roll,(full register) there must be a valid reason to check and look into the full register.It is also a criminal offense to use the info for any purposes other than application for credit, prevention of crime and checking identity.

Sweden's privacy laws regarding identity and other personal information imakes it far easier to access and obtain than many other countries.

The first 4 digits of personnummer already tell everyone how old you are. When I first mentioned this to the people in the UK, they all resounded with "Oh No!" especially the women !! laugh.gif
+
skogsbo
post 27.Feb.2013, 05:42 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (explore3788 @ 27.Feb.2013, 05:32 PM) *
The first 4 digits of personnummer already tell everyone how old you are. When I first mentioned this to the people in the UK, they all resounded with "Oh No!" e ... (show full quote)

uk driving licence number also have lots of info too

with electoral rolls you need to opt out when you first join it, otherwise you can pay for peoples older / previous addresses via 192.com etc.. whilst you can admittedly make it harder, it's pretty tough to disappear.
+
Abe L
post 27.Feb.2013, 05:52 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (explore3788 @ 27.Feb.2013, 05:32 PM) *
Sweden's privacy laws regarding identity and other personal information imakes it far easier to access and obtain than many other countries.

The worst part here is that Swedes are extremely judgemental based on appearance. So walking into a car dealership to buy a car the guy asked for my license when we wanted to take out one of the cars for a spin. He was very uncomfortable at first and hesitating to even let us take it out. It's extremely normal to hand in you driver's license when test driving a car in most countries. However, at the time he got it he ran a credit check (without my consent) as driver's license number equals your personal number and came back as humble as he could and started the usual snakelike salesguy behaviour.

I hate this.

What I earn is none of his business and he should not in any way be able to get financial information about me to more confidently close a sale. It even gives him an unfair advantage during the price negotiation as he knows what I can spend. This is just wrong and it's even more wrong that in Sweden you can't opt-out from this incredible violation of your privacy. Again, one of the few things I hope to see from the EU is mandates on how to end this.

Hell, 16 year old weekend workers at Ikea can run credit checks on you and people think that's OK?!
+
skogsbo
post 27.Feb.2013, 06:03 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Abe L @ 27.Feb.2013, 05:52 PM) *

I'd have been tempted to buy at a different dealership in the next town, or ask to deal with a different person, then that guy loses the commission.

Perhaps credit checks and open-ness is a vicious circle. The availability of all our information online, both financial and stuff put on facebook etc. means that fraud is probably higher now, so people think they need more access to data and checks, only resulting in even more fraud etc..
+
oddsock
post 27.Feb.2013, 08:00 PM
Post #26

But I see that website, ratsit, as a real danger: with one click you can pick all the information about anyone, home address, status, age. Good database for stalkers.

Yep, you can easily look up the address of famous people. Just to see who I could look up, and out of curiosity, I found the address of a former Helsingborg, Celtic and Barcelona football player. Zoomed in on Google Maps, it's a huge country house befitting of a legendary footballer.

Is it not possible to be ex-directory here?
+
Willy
post 27.Feb.2013, 08:40 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Abe L @ 27.Feb.2013, 05:52 PM) *
The worst part here is that Swedes are extremely judgemental based on appearance. So walking into a car dealership to buy a car the guy asked for my license when we wanted to ... (show full quote)

A salesman running a credit check without your consent is a big no-no. It seems that you are assuming that what he did was alright just because he is a Swede in Sweden.

I'll give you that Swedish car salesmen are judgemental idiots, though.
+
Beavis
post 27.Feb.2013, 09:25 PM
Post #28

@skosgbso must you defend EVERYTHING Swedish??? Even when its blatently obvious its a huge fault in the Swedish system??
There any mayn good things in Sweden, but data privacy is NOT one of them. Sweden has one of the weakest data protection in the world, including many 3rd world countries.
Its blatently obvious its more important to protect people that to "entitle" nosey people to the "rights"
+
cogito
post 27.Feb.2013, 09:28 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Willy @ 26.Feb.2013, 10:31 PM) *
It's historically there to ensure transparency and fairness.

Calling the snooping habits in Sweden ""transparency or fairness" is putting lipstick on a pig.The motive behind "openness and transparency" Swedish style is to whip up envy.

Far from valuing privacy, as they myth would have it, Swedes are champion busybodies, frequenting "transparency" websites to find out that, Gasp! your neighbor has one more bottle in the cupboard than you have.

True transparency means transparency upward, into the state's operations, not citizens snooping into other citizens' finances.
For example, why is it it impossible to know how or why the directors of state monopolies such as System bologet, apoteket, Svt. and other general secretaries are chosen? We pay the fat salaries of these apparachiks. Are there any criteria or is it enought to be daughter of, son-in-law-of, or the mistress of other apparachiks?
+
philios33
post 27.Feb.2013, 11:03 PM
Post #30

It also explains why no-body has heard of curtains in Sweden. Part of the culture of showing off ones big screen tv to the neighbours smile.gif

I consider myself mostly for anti privacy stuff, but this one takes the buscuit. Can someone explain to me the benefits of making your salary publicly available to all? I can't think of a real reason.

"Because it's fairer and transparent for all" is not a real reason.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply