• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Double barrelled surname in Sweden

Whats possible?

jdc
post 3.Mar.2013, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Hi, my wife (who is Swedish) and I (English) are moving to Stockholm from London later this year. We are about to complete a deed poll in the UK so my wife can have both surnames as a double-barrelled surname. My surname will not change.

I've heard that double-barrelled surnames are not the norm in Sweden & can be difficult to get 'approved' by the Swedish Tax Agency. I understand the double barrelled name would have to be registered at the Patent & Trademark Office? I also understand that a space or hypen between the 2 surnames would not be allowed? Our preference would be for both surnames to be separated by a space but we would not want one of the surnames to be 'lost' as a middle name.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

THANKS
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 3.Mar.2013, 01:23 PM
Post #2

I feel sorry for kids with double barrel last names.
If such was to catch on or trend in the future, would it lead to quad barrel names and so on?
+
oddsock
post 3.Mar.2013, 03:35 PM
Post #3

I've always found it ironic that in gender equality Sweden most of the women have surnames like "Johansson", "Andersson" and "Persson".
+
Johno
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Just over 100 years ago women would be Andersdotter and Persdotter, and kept that name after marriage. But then they moved to family names, keeping the fathers last name, and also started to adapt names like Berggren, Sjökvist, Stenström and the like. Thats progress.
+
RedCreamSodas
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:21 PM
Post #5

I never understood the reasoning for this. It seems to just be a vanity for women in the states to have a hyphen between surnames for attention and to stand out. Why not just take your husband's surname and leave it at that?
+
johnjohn
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:35 PM
Post #6

Wouldn't it be better for her simply to keep her name as it is? Saves having to change it when like so many posters here you return home alone.
+
Johno
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:35 PM
Post #7

To choose which partners name for both to take after marriage seems fine and a mark of equality. http://www.skatteverket.se/privat/folkbokf...9800020669.html Why should taking the husbands name be the only way. There is more on the site referenced.
+
byke
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:39 PM
Post #8

Who says it is the only way?
She can remain a spinster or he adopt her name.
+
Johno
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:44 PM
Post #9

Who says it is the only way?

Nobody did. "var och en behåller sitt efternamn från tiden innan ni gifte er." You mean retain her maiden name, to remain a spinster would be to stay unmarried.
+
RedCreamSodas
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:54 PM
Post #10

Absolutely Johno, I agree with you. My point was meant as it seems the OP has already decided to have her take his name as well as keep her own. I was just trying to understand why since it is described as such a complication to do so.
+
Johno
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:57 PM
Post #11

For the op, I think the Skatteverket link says they do not allow hyphenateds and discusses "mellannamn" only in the context of children taking both parents names. Of course I could run it through Google translate and mislead everyone including myself tongue.gif
+
Willy
post 3.Mar.2013, 05:03 PM
Post #12

Note, as always, that mellannamn doesn't mean what one might assume it does. It is not an additional given name, but rather a kind of second surname.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Mar.2013, 05:16 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Johno @ 3.Mar.2013, 05:20 PM) *
Just over 100 years ago women would be Andersdotter and Persdotter, and kept that name after marriage. But then they moved to family names, keeping the fathers last name, and ... (show full quote)

Progress can be a little confusing...My Grandfather took a name and his brother chose a different one!
+
cherrybubble
post 3.Mar.2013, 08:31 PM
Post #14

My partner and I have been trying to figure out a pain-free way to change our married surname to surname1-surname2 and at present, there does not seem to be one. I'm not sure about the rules for surname1 surname2 (just a space in between). However, my partner and I are going to wait till May, awaiting the outcome of the riksdag vote (see below).

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/gifta-par...heta-dubbelnamn

Just FYI. smile.gif
+
John.Smith
post 4.Mar.2013, 12:02 PM
Post #15

I know a girl that has a double barrel name (no hyphen) and she is listed in the phone directory as same. So I guess it is possible?

The name was 'given' as her step-father adopted her after her biological father died. Her surnames are her original name followed by her step fathers family name.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se