• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Thoughts on the Rågsved neighborhood?

Opinions, tips, warnings...all welcome!

ledpeters
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:29 PM
Post #1

Hello!

I just moved to Stockholm a few days ago to begin a PhD program at Stockholm University. Prior to moving here, I was lucky enough to secure an apartment with a girl who had contacted my department to see if there were presently any students seeking a room. The program coordinator contacted me and now here I am...in Rågsved.

Before I launch into my list of questions and complaints, I want to acknowledge how lucky I was to find such a huge room with an easy commute to school settled here in nature, as well as a friendly roommate. However...

My first impression isn't so great. Granted, I come from Brooklyn, New York so I'm used to a certain level of urbanity (markets, bodegas on every corner, dry cleaners, boutiques, etc.) and a general feeling of "neighborhoodiness." This area feels incredibly suburban and a little bit dated. I would love to go out and explore the neighborhood...but I'm not certain where to go. All it looks like there is are apartment buildings as far as the eye can see and the dated strip mall across from the t-bana station.

I could either stay here three months or infinitely. Also, the rent is $3500 SEK/month. What are your thoughts? Should I seek a room in a different area, or should I stay here? And if I stay here, I would be grateful for recommendations for grocery stores, restaurants, liquor stores, dry cleaners and general attractions.

Finally, I realize that Rågsved isn't unique in the way it feels urban; I know many Swedes live in areas like this and commute to the city, but how does this area compare to others? Is it safe? What kind of people live here (students, families, etc.)?

Thanking you for your help in advance. My roommate hasn't been terribly forthcoming with this kind of information.
Go to the top of the page
+
unionisten
post 3.Mar.2013, 06:49 PM
Post #2

we call it Drogsved "drugsved" in general not a very nice place to live
+
Children Of Adam
post 3.Mar.2013, 06:57 PM
Post #3

You would get a lot of negative comments from nazist in this forums about Malmö but to be honest, The area is much more better and safer than NY.

Sometimes shits happens and it happens all over the world, just live and experience and let us know after a month about positive and negative stuff you experienced there.
+
ledpeters
post 3.Mar.2013, 07:25 PM
Post #4

Well that's good to hear because I never really felt unsafe in New York, no matter where I lived. I think it's just the fact that the neighborhood is so spread out that's going to take some getting used to.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description