• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Articles of Swedish news cut

And pasted with Google translations

Hisingen
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Having struggled to read the translations of some of the articles posted, I reckon that those posting ought to attempt to read the translations themselves first before posting what Google mucks up.
Having spent many years translating from Swedish into English I am more than familiar with the pitfalls, and with Google trying what appears to be a word-for-word translation, it is far from efficient, and more often than not makes a complete mockery of the original text.

Foreign guest in a Norwegian café: "What is gløgg?"
Waiter: "It's red wine with Russians in it."

OK - not googled, but . ...
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:52 PM
Post #2

Well obviously articles could be pasted up directly with thread titles using that as used in the article itself. But offering the translation via service such as google translate in the link also allows non Swedish speakers to try and get the jist of the story. But I dont think it would do much for English factor of this being an English speaking forum.
+
Johno
post 3.Mar.2013, 04:53 PM
Post #3

Google translate's only use imho is to run a long text to translate through it to paste then as a first draft to tidy up. But some of its errors are mind bogglingly bad and very misleading if you cant do a translation for yourself. But if this is aimed at "Anonymous", he has already reserved his right to post his "interesting" news articles as often as he pleases.

Parallel posts. Clearly its a public service being carried out. Misguidedly.
+
byke
post 3.Mar.2013, 05:29 PM
Post #4

I will tell you what I will do.

I will try and contact the local and see if I can get to submit the stories of interest for use on the front page instead. That way if it is possible it wont clog up the forum as some claim. And at the same time the main headlines relating to news in Sweden can filter down to English speakers.
+
John.Smith
post 3.Mar.2013, 05:31 PM
Post #5

Most excellent idea.
+
Hisingen
post 3.Mar.2013, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Sounds like a good idea, Byke, that way you will get rid of the Russians in the red wine.
Google translations are certainly not meant to be taken seriously, since as said previously, some of the results are truly mind-boggling. They are truly proof that it requires a person with a good knowledge of both languages to produce a reasonable translation.

Your idea of working to get your comments on Page 1 could result in a more positive view - as long as you do try to look at both sides of the coin i.e.both positive and negative, since we are all agreed that nothing is perfect. But simply producing the negatives is not good for anyone's PR.
Look forward to crossing swords again in the future, and to hopefully dishing out a few credits, too.
As per the phrase - - On yer byke, Byke.

smile.gif
smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN