• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Talking about trading skins...

John Howard Griffin did that in 1959

Max Reaver
post 16.Mar.2013, 01:42 PM
Post #1

So this American journalist John Howard Griffin took a medical drug Oxsoralen that turned his skin dark after exposure to UV. After the transformation, he journeyed through Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi to get firsthand experience of segregation in 1959. Later he wrote a book, Black Like Me. I still remember one story taught in my English class in middle school where his alter ego was chased through the darkened alley by a professional runner, who threatened to end his life and entertained on his fear. Running out of breathe, Griffin finally stood his ground and deterred the stalker from following him any further. Griffin's story is one example of trading skins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Howard_Griffin
Go to the top of the page
+
Migga
post 17.Mar.2013, 08:40 AM
Post #2

One dosen`t need to darken ones skin, if white, or trade skin for that matter to experience racism or to be treated differently. One just need to get on a plane.
+
Svensksmith
post 17.Mar.2013, 12:14 PM
Post #3

If I place an apple in a brown paper bag, or a white one, it's still an apple.

I think most of the people making a big fuss over skin color are just whiners looking for an easy excuse to explain their own personal failings.
+
cherrybubble
post 17.Mar.2013, 03:39 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Max Reaver @ 16.Mar.2013, 12:42 PM) *
So this American journalist John Howard Griffin took a medical drug Oxsoralen that turned his skin dark after exposure to UV. After the transformation, he journeyed through Lo ... (show full quote)

Thats really cool. Thank you for posting this max! I'd never heard about this book before. Definitely going to try and get my hands on a copy.

QUOTE (Migga @ 17.Mar.2013, 07:40 AM) *
One dosen`t need to darken ones skin, if white, or trade skin for that matter to experience racism or to be treated differently. One just need to get on a plane.

Migga, not trying to be a smartass, just curious, where would a white person be discriminated against?

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 17.Mar.2013, 11:14 AM) *
If I place an apple in a brown paper bag, or a white one, it's still an apple. I think most of the people making a big fuss over skin color are just whiners looking for an ... (show full quote)

Svensksmith, I wish everyone just saw the apple and disregarded the colour of the paper bag! That said, my favourite non-white, non-whiners are the people who see the racism and just decide that it means they need to work harder/smarter to get the same things (i.e. to overcome that low level of racism).
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Mar.2013, 04:11 PM
Post #5

The book was also made into a movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057889/

P/S: Try being the only white kid on your block!...And yes, we had to move.
+
Migga
post 17.Mar.2013, 04:17 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (cherrybubble @ 17.Mar.2013, 03:39 PM) *
Migga, not trying to be a smartass, just curious, where would a white person be discriminated against?

In some countries where they are a minority. Having had a friend live there I can definetly say Japan for example.
+
Yorkshireman
post 17.Mar.2013, 04:40 PM
Post #7

...in any situation where there is positive descrimination that attempts to pretend it is there to create equality. Postive descrimination is descrimination.
+
Svensksmith
post 17.Mar.2013, 10:14 PM
Post #8

Svensksmith, I wish everyone just saw the apple and disregarded the colour of the paper bag! That said, my favourite non-white, non-whiners are the people who see the racism and just decide that it means they need to work harder/smarter to get the same things (i.e. to overcome that low level of racism).
[/quote

That's precisely my point. We all have handicaps, imagined or otherwise. You've gotta rise above them.
+
skogsbo
post 18.Mar.2013, 07:03 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (cherrybubble @ 17.Mar.2013, 03:39 PM) *

pretty much all of the Middle East. Presuming you are white European you will rank higher than the semi slaves from Asia who work as servants, maids, cleaners, or do all the naff jobs in hotels, factories etc.. They recognise that Europeans have useful skills and contacts to them.

However, you will always be a white man, so you'll often have you own dedicated slot to use many facilities, often just 1 day per week. Things have improved a little, I remember trying to book a table in a nice restuarant at the top of the tower in Kuwait 10 years ago, the only slot available (apparently) was at 630pm, we arrived to find the place empty and eating on our own for 2hrs, people were just starting to arrive as we left. They were polite, but it was very clear they didn't want us mixing with the locals. They could have simpy not taken our booking at all, so at least we still get some great food, with a great view. I didn't feel the need to moan, blog, write etc about it, it's their country and my choice to eat there, I am big enough to take the rough with the smooth.
+
Yorkshireman
post 18.Mar.2013, 07:56 AM
Post #10

Descrimination isn't only about skin color ...what kind of reception would the same man have received if He had gone into almost any community as a man dressed as a woman, but obviously a man!!! ohmy.gif

Descrimination is in our nature ... the most fundamental still hasn't been tackled in the most even societies! Man vs Woman. You can pick almost any country, any color, any sexual persuation, any religion, in combination...and in another country there will be some kind of legislation or social code that descriminates against another group, whether directly or positively. Just look at the recent debate about Womens Rights and the exclusions wanted by certain Religious groups. Look at the EU where EU Citizens are free to move around but non-EU have restrictions, look at Sweden (or any country) where only Citizens have absolute right to live!!!

Descrimination is about power, and there are very few groups that when they have power, willingly give that power away! Sadly, it is our nature.
+
Max Reaver
post 20.Mar.2013, 11:35 PM
Post #11

Very nice. Yeah I agree that discrimination is everywhere, although I would argue that discrimination also act differently. For example the kind discrimination a white European receives in mid-east will never be the same as what an Arabic person will be subject to in Europe. If you only want to experience racism and discrimination, it's easy. But if you want to know exactly what kind of racist acts a dark-skinned person experiences, you really need to don the skin.
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Mar.2013, 01:54 AM
Post #12

study done by Harvard in the USA with regards Reverse Racism and how Whites now feel they are suffering from anit-white bias:

http://www.people.hbs.edu/mnorton/norton%20sommers.pdf

As for the Middle-East, it is clear that the driving factors towards violent descrimination (which can also be seen by stories of those claiming asylum in Sweden) is not skin colour, but rather if You belong to the wrong religion, or being a woman or gay ...Jeez, one doesn't survive long if you are a gay christian, even shorter if that was a woman! unsure.gif ...regardless of skin colour.
+
Migga
post 21.Mar.2013, 12:39 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Max Reaver @ 20.Mar.2013, 11:35 PM) *
Very nice. Yeah I agree that discrimination is everywhere, although I would argue that discrimination also act differently. For example the kind discrimination a white Europea ... (show full quote)

I agree, there will be differences. An ethnic swedish women was raped by eight middle eastern men, but there hasn`t been eight ethnic swedish men raping a middle eastern woman. So yes, it is different. I get your point that if a middle eastern women would want to experience the racist acts of middle eastern men towards an ethnic Swede, not just racism in general, she would have to trade skin with an ethnic swedish woman. But I`d never wish for her to experience the act that this specific ethnic swedish woman had to suffer, it`s reality for some though.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN