• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Planning a move from the United States

Beginning our Journey

TomV
post 17.Mar.2013, 05:57 AM
Post #1

Hello all,
My fiance and I have been dreaming of moving to Sweden since we met. Our love of Swedish history and culture has been a defining theme throughout relationship. This spring we decided to set our goals for the next 2 years. The first thing on the list - Move to Sweden.

So my question to the community is pretty simple.
Where should we start?

Tack pa forhand!

- Tom
Go to the top of the page
+
Monark540
post 17.Mar.2013, 06:07 AM
Post #2

Here's a good website to get you started:

Sweden.se
+
johnjohn
post 17.Mar.2013, 07:01 AM
Post #3

The sarting point is your ability to legally move to Sweden. If neither of you are Swedish or EU/EEA citizens start with www.migrationsverket.se Learn Swedish, have job skills and experience, develop social and business networks before attempting. Good luck.
+
johnjohn
post 17.Mar.2013, 07:28 AM
Post #4

How old are you both? What professions? What is your job experience? How fluent in Swedish? What social and business ties have you in Sweden?
+
Migga
post 17.Mar.2013, 09:23 AM
Post #5

Try building your ties with Sweden right now. Visit the land, make friends to know the people, read about the country, learn the norms, experience the lifestyle, get contacts, find jobs and do your damnest. It will make it all easier in the long run. Make a blog or go online where you explained your situation and what you want to achieve. The web is a great way to create ties to another country on the other side of the ocean. Do anything and everything. Be honest about what you want and why, that will attract genuine people that can help. No matter if it`s with Migrationsverket or Swedes in general.
+
Svensksmith
post 17.Mar.2013, 12:10 PM
Post #6

Find out the legal requirements and work toward meeting those (there are plenty of threads archived on this forum that can help point you in the right direction), learn Swedish, save money...enough to tide you over until you can find employment, and have a plan B just in case it's not what you thought it was.
+
cogito
post 17.Mar.2013, 02:01 PM
Post #7

Are either of you Swedish? If not, where did you acquire your love of Swedish history and culture? From experience? Or from reading? If the latter, what was the source? If the former, at what time of year were you here?

There are hundreds of threads on all aspects of the subject here. Do a search. And good luck.
+
TomV
post 17.Mar.2013, 04:39 PM
Post #8

I am 24, and my fiance is 27.
I am a web designer and graphic artist working for a research and development company, with 5 years of professional experience. My fiance is a Siebel trained brewer with 3 years of professional experience in pub and production brewing. She is also very close to the completion of a mathematics degree.

I have visited Sweden and Norway twice. Once as a young boy with my family, and again in my teens with friends for a summer. My Swedish is not fluent, but is getting there. My fiance and I are doing daily classes through Rosetta Stone, and are finding it very enjoyable. My great grand parents were Norwegian and Swedish on my mothers side. My fathers side are German and Irish.

Thank you all for the advice and guidance.
- Tom
+
Coolrunnings
post 17.Mar.2013, 04:51 PM
Post #9

love of Swedish history and culture

Visiting and living are two different things.
+
vicky7
post 17.Mar.2013, 05:01 PM
Post #10

I had a romanctic view of Ireland and Japan too, until I lived there. So your expectations may not match reality.

Especially when it has almost been a decade since you had your nostalgia about a honeymoon visit here? A lot has changed since then.
+
Svensksmith
post 17.Mar.2013, 10:11 PM
Post #11

Nevertheless, you will never know until you try. Give it a go and see for yourselves.
+
balbright
post 18.Mar.2013, 11:27 AM
Post #12

Need to have a job lined up or a small fortune to get you started...and the papers in order.

This guy is looking for brewers to help set up a new micro brew in Umeå. http://beerstudio.se/

He's an Englishman who started a great Swedish beer blog: www.beersweden.com
+
jostein
post 18.Mar.2013, 08:06 PM
Post #13

My sincere belief is that the place you wish to move to does not exist anymore. And the few places where it does exist are existing on borrowed time.
This place is about to go from troubled. To something entirely more sinister.
+
Max Reaver
post 20.Mar.2013, 11:38 AM
Post #14

Let's test your Swedish! biggrin.gif

Att bo i Sverige långsiktigt är mycket annorlunda än att göra enstaka besök i landet. Du verkar uppfatta Svea ur ett idylliskt perspektiv. Det är inte realiskt, men jag tror fortfarande att du kan finna mycket nöje ur det vardagliga livet här.

När jag återvände hem från ett år i New York stötte jag på mitt livs största kulturchock. Mina blyga svenska arbetskollegor visade sig vara starka kontraster till de pratsamma och vänliga New Yorkers jag lärde känna. Det var nästan som att uppleva två extrema förhållanden. Dock tycker jag att svensk arbetsplats har många fördelar. En kollega till mig brukade komma till jobbet kl 6 på morgonen för att kunna avrunda dagen kl 3 på eftermiddagen. Därefter körde han iväg för att njuta av svensk sommar. En sån livstil är nästan omöjligt att ha i de flesta länder. I akademin där jag bedrev forskning fanns det många tyskar. De föredrar Sverige över Tyskland då arbetstakten är mer human och arbetstimmar flexibel.

Anyway, if you understood it all, your Swedish is sort of qualified! Just come here and try it out, it won't be easy, but you may still find things you like about this country.
+
heihei
post 20.Mar.2013, 01:32 PM
Post #15

One of the best things you could ever do: Stay away from this website. Go for it, enjoy it and you never know if you never try. I did, have never looked back and will never leave this beautiful place.

You are well and truly ahead of me and most if ou are a foreigner coming here and know the language, or having a working interest in it. It will make some parts of the initial paper work and issues much easier to follow and solve.

Go for it guys, and good luck. No matter what anyone says, Sweden is one of the easiest places to live in the world. Swedes are some of the friendliest people I have met (and Im Australian).
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply