• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Which method of Paypal is better for onlineshop?

For Europe

fanisme
post 20.Mar.2013, 09:44 AM
Post #1

Hej, I wanna start a online shop in Sweden and the customers are from Europe. I choose the payment of PAYPAL for my shop, but I don't know which method of Paypal is better for Europe? Express Checkout or Website Payments Standard? One more question: do you think if most of Europe people have PP account? Thanks a lot indeed.
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Mar.2013, 09:53 AM
Post #2

I am in the same situation as you concerning on line shopping. With Pay Pay the buyer can pay directly with their bank card to you PP account. In our case we are dealing with one time items such as boat motors etc so we may the problem of 2 people paying for 1 object. We decided to send invoices instead so that problem doesnt arise. I hope that you get replies as i´m also stuck on this subject especially setting up a web shop. as in the future we will also want to be able to offer online shopping.
+
Gordy
post 20.Mar.2013, 08:40 PM
Post #3

At the time I set up my website 2 years ago Paypal didn't offer web payments standard in Sweden so I had no option but to use express checkout.

I find it works just fine for me. Paypal's charges are quite high but unlike some other options there are no monthly charges or upfront costs so when you are starting out it's a good option.

I sell only in Sweden and find that almost all people pay with a card, I don't have exact figures but it's certainly less than 5% of my customers who pay with a paypal account.

You may need the help of Google translate but if you have a good idea of your sales volume you can figure out the cheapest provider for your situation with this online tool.

In Sweden the favourite method of payment is via internet banking but you need to be doing a pretty decent turnover before you can cover the costs.

If your sales method can accommodate it the cheapest method is to invoice the customer and have them pay by bank giro but there is a time lag and you won't see the payment in your bank account until the next day so if you are on a quick turn around it may not be suitable.

All the above info concerns Sweden only if you are selling throughout Europe much of it may not apply.
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Mar.2013, 08:45 PM
Post #4

We were going to use Swedbank but it costs 1000:- a month + 2% so we will invoice instead. It is not easy to start a webshop. Sorry for butting in on the OP but he hasn´t been back yet
+
iaicon-jenny
post 22.Mar.2013, 03:31 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (fanisme @ 20.Mar.2013, 08:44 AM) *
Hej, I wanna start a online shop in Sweden and the customers are from Europe. I choose the payment of PAYPAL for my shop, but I don't know which method of Paypal is better ... (show full quote)

Hi friend, what do you want to sell in your online shop?
Paypal is good so far as I used.
+
Programmeny
post 22.Mar.2013, 04:07 AM
Post #6

Make sure you offer your clients more than one payment methods.
As a European, I'm more used to paying directly with my card instead of express checkout, although I do have a PayPal account.

Another method of payment you shouldn't overlook and is becoming increasingly popular is Bitcoin. It's very easy to offfer it, it is instant and there are no fees for both you or the customer. Check it out http://bitcoin.org/en/

A simple way to implement it is through https://bitpay.com/
+
fanisme
post 22.Mar.2013, 08:58 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Gordy @ 20.Mar.2013, 08:40 PM) *
At the time I set up my website 2 years ago Paypal didn't offer web payments standard in Sweden so I had no option but to use express checkout. I find it works just fine f ... (show full quote)

As you said, it's really tough to set a small bussiness in Swedne. So I'm trying to apply for a PP account in another country which is almost free tax for small bussiness, after all that's a online shop not real company. And I think that's exactly the advantage of PP which you can choose lots of countries-based.
+
Gordy
post 22.Mar.2013, 10:15 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Programmeny @ 22.Mar.2013, 04:07 AM) *
I'm more used to paying directly with my card instead of express checkout, although I do have a PayPal account.

But with express checkout you are paying directly by credit card that's the way it presents by default but it also gives you the option to pay by Paypal if it recognises that you have a paypal account. I found it cheap and easy to implement and have had a good experience with it so far.

The only problem I have ever had is that it doesn't indicate to the customer what the reason has been if their transaction has failed. A few times customers have contacted me to say that I have a problem with the checkout but when I call PayPal to find out what the problem is they invariably tell me that due to privacy they can't tell me but that the customer should call them or their card issuer, so it is obvious that the card has been declined due to something like insufficient funds.

QUOTE (fanisme @ 22.Mar.2013, 08:58 AM) *
As you said, it's really tough to set a small bussiness in Swedne. So I'm trying to apply for a PP account in another country which is almost free tax for small bussin ... (show full quote)

I don't agree with you, it is very straightforward to set up a small business in Sweden with very little red tape. Some may be put off by the prospect of having to pay tax in advance on a monthly basis but in reality almost all business plans will project losses in the first year and Skatteverket don't appear to dispute that so you will not have to pay tax in advance until you are in profit.

If you are resident in Sweden you should pay your taxes here as you are getting the benefit of the services provided by the state. Sure I don't say that every penny of tax money is spent wisely, it's an imperfect system but that's the world we live in.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com