• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

SFI different options help please!

Any advice welcome!

aran1989
post 20.Mar.2013, 01:28 PM
Post #1

Hi all

My name is Aran and im from the UK myself and my girlfriend recently moved back here to Stockholm after 3 years in the UK ( worth mentioning she is obv Swedish and the reason we are here) I have been lucky enough to find work here but now has come time to learn Swedish. I have been offered 20 hours per week in the mornings of afternoons @ SFI or 6 hours a week in the evenings. The problem is if I do the 20 hours in the mornings or afternoons it will be difficult to get shifts at work! im considering doing the 6 hours per week but was wondering if you people think this will be enough? I am a graduate so have been told that I will be with other people with degrees will this mean we go at a faster pace? and I want to start from scratch so will the evening courses enable me to do this? just throwing this thread out there to gauge peoples experiences/ get some advice! many thanks in advance!

Aran
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 20.Mar.2013, 01:38 PM
Post #2

6 hours a week is nothing to learn a language unless you put an additional, say, 20+ on your own in the form of self-study.

I have no idea how long the SFI would last if done at the 20 hour a week pace, but perhaps it is worth considering giving up on some shifts at work for a temporary period of time.

~~~PDX~~~
+
gplusa
post 20.Mar.2013, 01:47 PM
Post #3

I did 4 hours a week ( 2 x 2 hours) with evening classes and it took me about a year to complete all the internal class assignments, which was a requirement in my school to complete the SFI programme (as well as the external exam of course)
+
PageyGB
post 20.Mar.2013, 05:10 PM
Post #4

It is perfectly possible to learn Swedish by just going ot the evening sessions. But you will have to study yourself heavily. Roseta Stone, audio course and by practise.
What you will find in SFI, especially the evening classes, is that it's a bit of a buffet! People come and take what they want, don't turn up every session, so it moves slowly. You will HAVE to study a lot yourself to move forward.
SFI is a tool to help with learning and you will need to study yourself to actually get anywhere.
+
darreldj
post 20.Mar.2013, 05:26 PM
Post #5

Hey!

Have you thought about distance study? I did SFI through distance because I was studying at uni and working so didn't really have time to get to the classroom. Because I have a Swedish GF my komvux was happy to set me up with distance study because I could get help from her with speaking/accent etc. Sounds like you may be in a similar situation so if you are a good self-studier I would recommend it. Also, in distance study if you want to go faster than the course plan would otherwise stipulate, you're free to do so.

Realistically, if you are going to do the evening classes you will have to self-study a lot anyway, 6 hours a week is isn't nearly enough to learn a language.

Good luck!
+
kez1202
post 20.Mar.2013, 07:43 PM
Post #6

Hey .. i come from Uk myself im studying everyday at SFI afternoons im only studying 5 months and just got c over all grad on test from level c to d .. it doesn't really matter what time you pick to study tho is wroth mentioning you can do an out of SFI course meaning studying from home .. the key to learning swedish fast is talking in it watching English tv with txt .. the reading and speaking will come along faster than the writing because they have so many rules in gramtic swedish its a nightmare hahhaa ... wishing you all the best with your studying
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options