• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

KÖK Renovation in Stockholm

Just Door replacement a god or bad idea?

AriesIN
post 20.Mar.2013, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Hi,
I am wondering about renovating my Kitchen in Stockholm apparment. I came across one company that just changes your Kitchen doors and leaving the cabinets as it is. No matter how old is the kitchen or which make IKEA etc they adjust the door size accordingly. Do you think it is a good option to go for ? Have anyone tried this service before ?

Any suggestion for some good and reasonably priced Kitchen renovators in Stockholm ?
for Tiles repair , floor fixes etc..

/AriesIn
Go to the top of the page
+
Mednis
post 20.Mar.2013, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Everything is possible, the question is- how much that will cost.
Do they have any references?
+
skogsbo
post 20.Mar.2013, 05:51 PM
Post #3

it depends!?

Fix tiles, why? cracked? are they a common size or colour, anything is possible, but it's down to your needs and budget, the same with the floor.

Kitchen doors, great in principle, but if the kitchen will only last a few more years, hinges wearing, catches not meeting etc. then perhaps you're better off with new cupboards, I bet you can get new cupboards at IKEA for the same prices as your bespoke made to measure ones? Ikea is due to bring out a whole new kitchen range/style soon, so the current range may all be on sale in the next year (ish).

If you kitchen is currently in reasonable condition and functional, whatever you spend will add nothing to the overall value of the flat. So it's purely down to your needs and budget.
+
Svensksmith
post 20.Mar.2013, 07:15 PM
Post #4

If the frames are good, just putting on new cabinet fronts is a great way to save a lot of money and dress up your kitchen. We did it ourselves with IKEA fronts and it was easy.
+
Mednis
post 20.Mar.2013, 07:29 PM
Post #5

We did it ourselves with IKEA fronts and it was easy.

It was easy, because, I assume, you had standard, IKEA cabinets. If the kitchen is custom built, then it will take some time and skills to adjust those new doors (which must be blank without "mirrors").

For topic author I suggest to take measures of the cabinets and check at IKEA for compatibility. If the cabinets are stock, IKEA salesman will guide you trough all details, costs etc you will need to install them yourself. Using those new hinges one door can be changed in max 5 min for amateur.
+
AriesIN
post 20.Mar.2013, 07:35 PM
Post #6

Thanks for replies..I am not sure that IKEA doors comes in those dimensions .. though the Kitchen is ok does dont look old but is old fashioned today with steel boards instead of wood and Green doors etc.. I aónly want to renovate if I get appreciation..and only changing doors will do that is what I am not sure about..My kitchen is approx 300X120 cm size . what do you thin a complete new kitchen will Cost from IKEA ?
+
AriesIN
post 21.Mar.2013, 09:17 AM
Post #7

Any more experiences, references to some Carpenters etc that do good work in reasonable prices ??
+
Mednis
post 21.Mar.2013, 09:28 AM
Post #8

If you are able to use ROT-avdrag, the price certainly will be reasonable.
+
Svensksmith
post 21.Mar.2013, 05:14 PM
Post #9

Yes, you are correct, Mednis. Although the cabinets did not come from IKEA, they were standard sized so we were able to buy new fronts. If not, then a carpenter or cabinet maker would have had to be hired to make them.

Still way cheaper than buying complete cabinets.
+
skogsbo
post 21.Mar.2013, 05:48 PM
Post #10

given that most work tops are a near standard height and depth, it's quite probably you'll only need to plane down one side of them, the problem is most new off the shelf doors aren't pure wood, unless you pay proper money for made to measure, there'll be some composite board and ironing on a new strip over them, never looks as neat. Open shelves or glass fronts perhaps?

have you actually looked online at the Ikea website, or are you waiting for somebody to do it for you? wink.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options