• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to Helsingborg

Full family relocation to Sweden

DianaG
post 20.Mar.2013, 04:05 PM
Post #1

Hello everybody,

I've been reading this forum for a while and I finally decided to ask for advice.
So here is my story: I've recently been recruited by a Swedish company located in Helsingborg area and I decided to go for it. I intend to relocate with my family (husband and 5 year old daughter) and I am quite worried about a lot of things.

First of all, we don't speak the language (it wasn't mandatory for my job). We have just stared our first Swedish lessons, but since we have only two months until relocation and a lot of other things to take care of, I'm sure there won't be a lot of progress. Will that be a big problem? I know there is a program of learning the language that we intend to take very seriously, but until we are able to actually have a conversation in Swedish, we have to use English. I know everybody knows English, but are they open to that or they might be offended for not speaking Swedish?

How about the cost of living? What would be the minimum monthly amount for a family of three in Helsingborg area? Should I consider living outside the town, perhaps towards the south (Lund, Malmo), and commute to work?
Another problem: finding a place to live. I think this is the biggest issue, since I saw there are some queues for renting an apartment. What is the procedure when trying to rent a place?

I am also concerned about my daughter. She obviously doesn't speak the language and she should begin school next year. How should I approach her education?

Perhaps some of you might be able to give me an advice or any other useful information, or just share your experience.

Many thanks,
Diana
Go to the top of the page
+
yato
post 20.Mar.2013, 04:27 PM
Post #2

Hi,

have a look at this website, may help give you the basic idea of Helsingborg and answer some of your questions.

http://www.helsingborg.se/Medborgare/toppmeny/english/

Malmo and lund are not generally cheaper to live than Helsingborg, there are plenty of areas in and around Helsingborg that are cheaper, all depends what your budget is i guess,
as for school, I have a some friends who's kids go the to international school in Helsingborg and they say nothing but great things about it,
http://www.gymnasium.se/skola/internationa...elsingborg-1208

eating out and drinks are very expensive here, as are clothes/shoes so stock up in the uk and bring as much with you as you can,

Its a great city to live in, lots of parks play areas for kids, beach/harbour etc...
been here just over a year myself and love it, language isnt easy to learn (maybe just me!!) but almost everyone can speak english so you wont have any problems there, if you try speak a little swedish they do appreciate it and they always seem to help you.
+
Migga
post 20.Mar.2013, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Regarding a place to live I think you should try and see what the company that is bringing you in can offer. They should be able to help. But I think you should aim at living in Helsingborg or near there insted of Malmö or Lund.
+
polartwist
post 20.Mar.2013, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Go for Helsingborg, I personally love that place and I felt in love of Maria Church and of the Kärnan, a wonderful piece of history in the center of the city that is not as publicized as it should be.
Travelling Malmö/Lund -> Helsingborg is not feasible in the long run. I know a couple of people that does it every day. Absolutely not suggested to do it using the Pågatåg (the train that stops on every station), it takes forever.
+
PDX
post 20.Mar.2013, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Just adding that commuting daily between Malmö and Helsingborg would quickly lead to madness, especially in the winter season (with the random cancellations and delays).

~~~PDX~~~
+
DianaG
post 21.Mar.2013, 04:07 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the prompt responses. The International School seems really interesting, indeed. Does anyone have any idea about the costs? I know education is free in Sweden, but an International School is different, right?

I would also appreciate any info about cost of living. I made my own research, but I am still a bit confused. Right now it seems that the minimum for a family of three is around 25000 kr per month. Is that about right?

Thanks a lot, D
+
PDX
post 21.Mar.2013, 05:14 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (DianaG @ 21.Mar.2013, 05:07 PM) *
Right now it seems that the minimum for a family of three is around 25000 kr per month. Is that about right?

To one person, this will be a life of unimaginable luxury, to another, abject poverty. Does "minimum" include dumpster diving as daily enterainment?

~~~PDX~~~
+
UmmAneesa
post 26.Apr.2013, 04:00 PM
Post #8

Hi, Diana!

I am also moving to Helsingborg soon (in August). I have a 9 year old daughter and we have many of the same questions/issues you have. It so happens that I will be teaching at the international school and as one of the other posters said, it seems to be quite a nice school. From what I understand, they are still part of the public school system and I do not believe there is a tuition. They do have a PYP, MYP, and DP program, so no doubt, worth looking into to. At this point, I don't know if my husband (who is a Swedish citizen) will be joining us right away or not, so I'm a little nervous about coping there, as well. I've been to Stockholm many times and everyone does speak English there. It's a relief to read that they speak English in Helsingborg, as well. In any event, if you're interested in meeting a fellow newbie once you're there, send me a post! Good luck with the move.

Victoria
+
Svensksmith
post 26.Apr.2013, 05:30 PM
Post #9

Diana, our family moved to Sweden when my daughters were 8 and 10. They absolutely loved it and were sad when we moved back.
+
jezrussell
post 22.Mar.2014, 11:26 AM
Post #10

There is a new website for expats - http://www.hiconnections.eu/
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN