• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Confusing about Shoplifting

Residence Permission

Artemis999
post 21.Mar.2013, 04:30 PM
Post #1

Hi All:
I was caught today for shoplifting. I know it is bad. But I'm just hungry.
The total sum of value I tried to get was 20 kr milk for lunch.
I felt very guilty.
My question is that can I get a residence permission for the next year if my criminal report contains shoplifting?
This is my first time that I theft something.
Please help me.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 21.Mar.2013, 04:40 PM
Post #2

Where are you from and what type of visa are you applying for, refugee, relationship, study, work, business or troll?
+
Svensksmith
post 21.Mar.2013, 04:42 PM
Post #3

In some countries you would be missing a hand, now.
+
Artemis999
post 21.Mar.2013, 04:43 PM
Post #4

I come from China and I'm a student here.
Yes I feel very guilty. I will never do this ever again.
I really worries about my VISA here.
+
PDX
post 21.Mar.2013, 04:58 PM
Post #5

Hmm wait, if you are a student from China, you surely have a scholarship, right? Why shoplift then?

~~~PDX~~~
+
johnjohn
post 21.Mar.2013, 05:04 PM
Post #6

I assume you have a visa now and will re-apply. I cannot say anything about your chances however they might look closely at your ability to support yourself as required.
+
Svensksmith
post 21.Mar.2013, 06:57 PM
Post #7

We all make mistakes. That you feel so guilty says a lot about the person you are. You have learned a valuable lesson.
+
unionisten
post 22.Mar.2013, 09:16 AM
Post #8

people who steal shoud be kicked out
+
aliraza.jibs1
post 22.Mar.2013, 10:08 AM
Post #9

Guyz cut him a slack before bashing him. You seem like all angles and saints. You should be Thankful that you are well off and least has good system in place to take care of your basic needs. All people are not that lucky and trust me may that time never come but all your ethics and human values will go in drain in minutes if that time ever came.
Why, should not and all the other crap just leave it. He did wrong and he feels bad about it that enough. Who are you to judge him or bash him like that?
@SvenskSmith: Which country would that be? European countries when they were following the Biblical laws interpreted by church? Or hillbilly tribes?
@Artemis: as far as I know it will not affect your extension if that was not reported to migrationverket. If they do it will still not affect it but like Johan said they might closely look into your finances and ability to support your-self.
+
cherrybubble
post 22.Mar.2013, 10:27 AM
Post #10

When I first started working here in sweden, I was told about a chinese post doctoral researcher who was given a job by an unscrupulous professor at KI who paid the man 5000 kr a month through a scholarship. The post doc had come to sweden with his wife and child.

Scholarships are ridiculous. But they tend to be used extensively. I have heard of a lot of chinese students being woefully underpaid through scholarships.

All anecdotal and I probably have an n=5, which is pretty tiny, so yes, I understand why you might be skeptical.

My heart goes out to the OP. There is nothing worse than being hungry and desperate in a cold, foreign place.

I'm sorry, I don't have any answers for you.
+
Localer
post 22.Mar.2013, 02:01 PM
Post #11

no sure whether to believe or not.
shoplifting for 20 kr ? you got to be kidding right ?
+
Artemis999
post 22.Mar.2013, 02:13 PM
Post #12

You are right. Just for 20 kr. The police officer also can not believe this.
Really worries about my long term stay here.
+
johnjohn
post 22.Mar.2013, 03:59 PM
Post #13

I sent you a message yesterday. Maybe it is posible to have the store drop the charges. Talk to them, on your knees.
+
Divan
post 22.Mar.2013, 04:18 PM
Post #14

This whole thing sounds rather fishy. First, consider if the OP is really a Chinese student, whether or not he/she is on a scholarship. Very few scholarships are given to Chinese students since Sweden would first prioritize countries that have a relationship, such as Bangladesh, Vietnam etc. Many of the Chinese students who come for a Master degree program do have the means to support themselves. Most come from a one child family (China's population control policy) who have parents willing to foot the bill for an overseas education.

Stealing milk to appease hunger? Is that something that a Chinese from China would steal, especially if it is a mere 20 kr? The Chinese I kow wouldn't be so stupid. A chocolate bar perhaps, small and easy to grab, but a carton of milk and milk of all things!!

I suspect that it could be someone else masquarading as a "poor" Chinese student.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 22.Mar.2013, 05:10 PM
Post #15

Is this the thread that will lead us from the wilderness...I mean if he/she is a troll we could be happy and content to bash away at him/her and eventually each other. rolleyes.gif

This place is too quiet...go trolling! laugh.gif
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN