• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Brewer's Yeast in Sweden?

Where can I find it?

Amber Dawn
post 26.Mar.2013, 09:17 AM
Post #1

I need to find some brewer's yeast for a recipe and haven't a clue where to look. I have found it online, but I am hoping to be able to go and purchase it today. I am currently near Göteborg. Can anyone help me out?

ETA: it's jäst för kolsyrejäsning
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 26.Mar.2013, 11:53 AM
Post #2

http://shop.humle.se/jast/jast-for-kolsyrejasning/

Googled it
+
intrepidfox
post 26.Mar.2013, 12:22 PM
Post #3

There is a place on Hjälmarbrantningsgatan, Hisingen or at Järntorget.
+
johnjohn
post 26.Mar.2013, 02:55 PM
Post #4

Are you looking to brew beer or is it for another use? The cake yeast found in most every food shop, used for making bread is actually brewer's yeast. It is very cheap, one or two kronor. When brewing ale the yeast scum floats to the top. At one stage it is ladled off and put into large trays. When settled and to the proper depth the semi-solid yeast is cut into cubes, wrapped in paper ready for use.

Attached Image

+
Amber Dawn
post 26.Mar.2013, 09:42 PM
Post #5

I am needing it for something else, for the health benefit. This is wonderful news! Thanks, Johnjohn.
+
johnjohn
post 27.Mar.2013, 04:01 AM
Post #6

Word of advice. This yeast is active or alive. How you ingest it will determine the preparation. If you will bake or cook with it then fine. If you plan on eating it somehow raw or alive it will continue living and fermenting in your system possibly causing digestive woes. Heating the yeast above 50 degrees, like drying in the oven will kill the yeast but it retain it's nutritional properties.
+
Amber Dawn
post 27.Mar.2013, 10:45 AM
Post #7

Yes, thank you. I am baking with it.
+
johnjohn
post 27.Mar.2013, 10:50 AM
Post #8

Good Amber otherwise get a Tolstoy sized novel for the toilet.
+
Amber Dawn
post 28.Mar.2013, 11:19 AM
Post #9

Ha ha. Thank you for the advice. It worked perfectly.
+
Snood
post 28.Mar.2013, 11:40 AM
Post #10

maltmagnus.se
humle.se
Essenspecilisten, Mölndalsvägen, Gothenburg

All of these places sell both wet and dry yeast, I buy from all of these places frequently.
+
hanno1
post 20.Sep.2013, 10:47 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (johnjohn @ 26.Mar.2013, 02:55 PM) *
Are you looking to brew beer or is it for another use? The cake yeast found in most every food shop, used for making bread is actually brewer's yeast. It is very cheap, on ... (show full quote)

Making (attempting!) some cider this weekend and haven't any home brew shops around me. You reckon I could use the normal Swedish jäst? What sort of mix do you use?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply