• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Guests on TL

Come on show your selves

intrepidfox
post 30.Mar.2013, 12:19 AM
Post #1

I was just looking at the forum index and there were maybe 15 members on line but there were 15 sides with guests. Come on don´t be shy. Join the chaos.
Go to the top of the page
+
tinytinis
post 2.Apr.2013, 12:08 PM
Post #2

Hiya smile.gif Been sneaking around this forum for a couple of days now; decided to register today . My name is Tina, live in Stockholm.
+
gplusa
post 2.Apr.2013, 12:12 PM
Post #3

You lurker, you, Tina. Welcome.
+
tinytinis
post 2.Apr.2013, 12:31 PM
Post #4

Thank you! Guess I am a lurker... (love that word btw). For the last days (since I read an article on how swedes are) I have been on the internet almost every night, reading about swedes, sweden and how we are percived by others. I really didn't realise we come across as rude, silent, shy and what not. But ; the more I read, and a lot was on the local, lost in stockholm and welcome to sweden, I started to agree. A lot !

However; I guess I'm not like the typical swede , I hold up doors, say thank you, excuse me and so on wink.gif I do love England and english people, have a few friends in UK. You are so much more friendly and easygoing than the swedes; same goes for aussies tongue.gif A perfect example of my swedishness(?) :

I was in Isle of Wight with my mum and on the way to the mainland. We were on the train when a couple in therir 40's got on. They had big bags and they were quite rude and complaining a lot. I could tell right away that both of them had some kind of mental problem (don't know how to say it in a nice way). It was a lot of people of the train and they had to leave their bags a couple of meters from where they had a seat. The woman was very aggitated and talking very loud, afraid someone was going to nick their bags. Me and my mum was right across the seat from them, and I found myself very uncomfortable and looking everywhere but at them, trying to ignore them. There was a very very sweet english woman next to them, she started to talk to them, calming them and said; Dear, no one is going to nick your bags, I will make sure of that and keep an eye.

THAT would NEVER EVER happen in Sweden, and I think it's a perfect example of how truly we swedes hate confrontation and weird strangers on the local train smile.gif

So after reading a lot on different forums I have really started to think about the differences, why we tend to behave like this and why I react to certain things the way that I do. It's really intresting , and now I can't seem to stop doing more and more research about sweden and the swedes.
+
Migga
post 2.Apr.2013, 01:51 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (tinytinis @ 2.Apr.2013, 12:31 PM) *
the typical swede

There is no such thing.

THAT would NEVER EVER happen in Sweden, and I think it's a perfect example of how truly we swedes hate confrontation and weird strangers on the local train smile.gif.

Yes it could, it has happend numerous times.

So after reading a lot on different forums I have really started to think about the differences, why we tend to behave like this and why I react to certain things the way that ... (show full quote)

So what has your research told you? That Swedes are a cold and heartless people because of their climate and DNA? The selfhate and anglo saxon glorification is strong in this one.
+
tinytinis
post 2.Apr.2013, 02:04 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Migga @ 2.Apr.2013, 12:51 PM) *
There is no such thing. Yes it could, it has happend numerous times. So what has your research told you? That Swedes are a cold and heartless people because of their climate a ... (show full quote)

No thing as a typical swede?? Have to disagree on that one.
I don't think we are cold and heartless in general, but It seems that is the general opinion by non-swedes. It's not like I do research in a serious way; I am just curious (?) and I find it interesting. I am not here to judge or to spread any form of negativity, I am just interested. What I HAVE found is that it's a lot of negativity and judgement about us but in way I understand why. I am just a person interested in people and how people function and why .

Have a nice day / Tina
+
RedCreamSodas
post 2.Apr.2013, 02:24 PM
Post #7

I dated a Swedish guy once. He was a great cook. He was horrible in bed.
+
intrepidfox
post 2.Apr.2013, 02:34 PM
Post #8

Welcome Tina. You had the guts to join.

9 guests looking at this page. There are a total of 22 sides of guests on the index forum.
+
Migga
post 2.Apr.2013, 02:58 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (tinytinis @ 2.Apr.2013, 02:04 PM) *
No thing as a typical swede?? Have to disagree on that one.

Ok then, you belive what you want. By the way then you must think there is a typical Brit and a typical Aussie?

To these people fit your glorified mold of a typical Brit or Aussie?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=715_1314132581
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=27f_1214788032&comments=1

I don't think we are cold and heartless in general, but It seems that is the general opinion by non-swedes I have found is that it's a lot of negativity and judgement ... (show full quote)

Well good I don`t belive so either. If you want my advice then I suggest you research where people get their views and opinions from. Both amongst non Swedes and amongst ethnic Swedes with insecurity problems. That`s a better end to start at then trying to stereotype a typical Swede. Do they get it from reading blogs like you, have they had a bad experience when visiting, is it hearsay or have they actually lived in Sweden for numerous years? Try understanding why people have the opinion they do and you`ll find some interesting answers. The Swedes are human like all others, reinforcing stereotypes with wild ideas about the impact from a cold climate and so on is fruitless.

Have a nice day / Tina

And to you too.
+
tinytinis
post 2.Apr.2013, 03:24 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Migga @ 2.Apr.2013, 01:58 PM) *
Ok then, you belive what you want. By the way then you must think there is a typical Brit and a typical Aussie?To these people fit your glorified mold of a typical Brit or Aus ... (show full quote)

Watched the first video; and NO that is not how I percive a typical brit... she was just a wanker. The general opinion I have of aussies and brits is that (at least the ones I've met) are that they are very friendly, easygoing, nice and easy to deal with. I am not trying to put a label on every nationality and I try very hard not to be judgemental, but the truth is everybody is, more or less. And it was not my intention to try and confirm the stereotype of swedes, I just agree on several statements of how we are. Also; it's my intention to try to understand why they have the opinion they do; that's why I find this interestning. You're making some good points , actually that's what I have been trying to explain, but my english is a bit rusty and it's hard to find the right words sometimes to properly explain the things I want to explain smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 2.Apr.2013, 04:53 PM
Post #11

Methinks Tina is Byke in drag.
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 2.Apr.2013, 05:05 PM
Post #12

I don't think the forum likes me. It keeps signing me out, so I nearly always show up as 'guest'. Every time I go to post anything I have to log in again, which disrupts my creativity so much that then I can't be arsed.
+
snarky
post 2.Apr.2013, 06:10 PM
Post #13

Tjena Tina!

As you can see some people on here tend to get really defensive when people talk about certain and common characteristics of specific nationalities. Even though this forum is for people to discuss, vent, ask questions. It doesn't matter to some they will hop on the opportunity to justify why you are completely wrong and blah blah blah. Anyway, just giving you a heads up, but since you said you have been reading some of the forums, I am sure you have already noticed this. It is always best to not feed the trolls...er.. those people.

Nevertheless welcome to TL smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 2.Apr.2013, 06:31 PM
Post #14

It's just amazing that some people confuse themselve with just what this place is...it's very simple...you make a post and...duck and run for cover...any replies were brought about by the posters own words...some agree...some don't...is that too hard to understand?
+
Migga
post 2.Apr.2013, 07:51 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (tinytinis @ 2.Apr.2013, 03:24 PM) *
Watched the first video; and NO that is not how I percive a typical brit... she was just a wanker. The general opinion I have of aussies and brits is that (at least the ones I ... (show full quote)

My point is that if one goes online and searches for "racism in Sweden" or Australia or the UK for that matter, that`s what one is going to find. If one reads blogs, who try and get as many views or clicks, the content will be provacative with the purpose to get attention. Blogs that don`t shy away from reapeting the same old stereotypes or making up new ones. Texts like "How to date a Swede", "The 10 resons why Swedes are cold", "How to understand why the Swedes are dumb" and so on. They are written to gain readers so they get more cash for the number of views on their page. It`s nothing to be taken serious or used as a fondation to build an opinion of a people. It`s very seldom you read anything objective or balanced on those sites.

If one asks about the negative sides of Swedes that`s what you`ll hear. If one looks for negative sides amongst Swedes or any other people that`s all they`ll see. None of these approaches gives a fair, true, objective or balanced view of what the people really is. The only true way of getting that is to live and interact with them. Not by hearsay, blogs or videos like the ones I posted. The ones who have lived amongst the people will tell you that they are just like any other, some are good and some are bad.

I am not trying to put a label on every nationality and I try very hard not to be judgemental, but the truth is everybody is, more or less. And it was not my intention to try ... (show full quote)

Good and I agree that all are judgmental to some degree. Why not try and make an effort to be the people with the least amount of judgment of others?

Also; it's my intention to try to understand why they have the opinion they do; that's why I find this interestning. You're making some good points , actually that ... (show full quote)

Your english is more then good, mine is hardly any better. It`s nothing personal, I think you make some good points aswell, I just don`t agree. I think I should be able to voice that. Some on this forum will try and twist that into me being defensive or not able to take criticism.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se