• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Job proposal in Gothenburg

Will my salary help supporting my family?

dandandany
post 6.Apr.2013, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Hi all!
I have been offered a job in Gothenburg. 26500SEK/month. The job is very interesting but I wonder if this salary is not a bit low to support my family (my wife and my kids 4 and 6 years old) with this sole income. Other info I got is that "Employees’ benefits include an additional 7% of the gross salary deposited for employee’s pension fund, free phone, home internet and loaner laptop, and annual contribution to health activities." I don't know exactly what is meant with the last part ("health activities").
Anyway, I would like to know if we can possibly consider moving to Gothenburg and have a normal life with this income, knowing that it may take a while before my wife will get a job (we do not speak Swedish).
Thank you for your hints.
Go to the top of the page
+
Darwinder
post 6.Apr.2013, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Well, it really comes down to the standard of living that you are used to. Also, it takes some time to get set up in the system here so expect a few months of delays for some things.

I can give you a breakdown for my wife and I and our 3 year old daughter.

Apartment Mortgage 9,700 2 bedroom, 80m2
Parking 300
Electricity 400
Insurance 1200, life, car, dog, personal liability
Phones 900 for 2
Internet/home phone 250
Viasat Sports Package/Netflix/Tv License 500
Gas for Car 1000
Food 4000
Daycare 1000
1 Bus Card 450
Total, 19 700

That obviously doesn't include going out or any entertainment outside the house or random costs like city parking, annual gas emissions charges(2000), random car charges, new kids clothing. Don't want to burst your bubble because there are many in Gothenburg that live on that income, it just depends on the standard you are used to. I wouldn't feel comfortable here having a 2 person income of less than 35,000 after tax.

My biggest concern for you and your family would be to find housing, unless your kids are used to sharing a room you will need a 3 bedroom, that can be a massive challenge to find if your not buying. Rent will be 10,000+ at a minimum. Housing is incredibly frustrating here if your renting. Best of luck whatever you decide.
+
PDX
post 6.Apr.2013, 12:54 PM
Post #3

I would definitely not recommend even a single person to move to Gothenburg on that salary. For an entire family, this would be poverty.

The "health activities contribution" is probably around 1000 SEK yearly against receipts from gym or swimming pool or such.

~~~PDX~~~
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 6.Apr.2013, 01:09 PM
Post #4

A single person or a family with two working parents could live on that salary. As the total family income, forget it...
+
aliraza.jibs1
post 6.Apr.2013, 01:34 PM
Post #5

This is very basic salary , health contribution is around 2000 Sek which means gym card. You will have survival only at that salary and basic needs would be filled . The most important thing is residence .

The avarage waiting time is 2 years in the que hence 2nd hand apartment will take major share out of your income . Ask your employer to arrange for it at reasonable cost .
+
intrepidfox
post 6.Apr.2013, 02:25 PM
Post #6

I live in Gbg not far from Eriksberg. My sambo and myself have about 20,000:- after tax. We live very well on that salary even though her 2 teenagers have moved home. We are established and have everything we need. It depends on how you want to live your life but as a new person to Göteborg on that salary would be very difficult
+
Hisingen
post 6.Apr.2013, 02:40 PM
Post #7

Very much depends upon your monthly rent. It does sound a bit on the low side, and could mean eating CORN FLAKE and milk (dipping the flake oin the milk, sucking it, and then hanging it up again to dry) by the end of the month. Much depemds upon the value of the job in question, and how much you value your own worth. If you are new to Sweden, finding out the value of the money and how far it can be stretched can be an unnerving experience. I found it so over fifty years ago, even though I thought that I had got myself a good salary. My experience was the corn flake ! ! The hiigher the salary you can demand the better. Don't subject your family to hard times, it puts too much of a strain on the relationship.
This is from an old codger who now lives in pretty stringent times still.
+
PDX
post 6.Apr.2013, 03:24 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 6.Apr.2013, 03:40 PM) *
(dipping the flake oin the milk, sucking it, and then hanging it up again to dry)

laugh.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
trumanshow
post 6.Apr.2013, 08:07 PM
Post #9

I suppose it depends whether you are thinking of buying a property. If you are coming from the UK then certain things will be a bit cheaper and more things more expensive. Also, if the job is interesting and helps you progress in your career then the investment is a good one if you can earn more money with the experience in the future also it seems like a good life experience. If you are truly getting into Swedish life then you will find the benefits come with your children. Sweden seems to me totally geared towards the activity and welfare of children. I think for all its negative points Sweden is probably a good place to bring up children. I wouldn't think too much about the money, as long as you are not going to be a pauper which on that money you shouldn't be if you are careful. If the job is interesting, I would say go for it. I am sure your partner can find some work in Gothenburg to supplement your income. It is impossible to predict the future so you may as well take some chances.
+
Yorkshireman
post 6.Apr.2013, 11:02 PM
Post #10

The salary you have been offered is actually below the average single salary in Sweden, so think carefully. However, in addition to the salary, since you have 2 kids, you will be entitled to Child Benefit which will add 2000:- per month, plus parental leave monies so your partner should be able to get a minimum of 180:-/day fonce you start taking those days ... every little helps wink.gif
+
james5
post 8.Apr.2013, 06:44 AM
Post #11

A single person or with family easily live in this salary.
+
PDX
post 8.Apr.2013, 09:14 AM
Post #12

Riiiiight.. sucking the milk out of the cornflakes every day. You probably meant "easily live in poverty with this salary".

~~~PDX~~~
+
Hisingen
post 8.Apr.2013, 12:37 PM
Post #13

You can always follow the old saying - Don't be a wages slave - get your wife a job!.
That way you can perhaps afford to actually eat a corn flake a day.

laugh.gif

But as I said earlier, it takes a while to get to know the value of the money, what you can buy or afford - or not. Some items are more expensive, some cheaper. Until you have been here a little while and learned how far the krona will take you, it can be a little daunting. I guess that this advice may seem old hat, but it comes from one who learned the hard way. And even after 50 years here I am still learning, since the pensions we get (wife and I) certainly do not permit of a lavish life style by any means, since we were self-employed late in life, and had to count the öre whilst 'enjoying the freedom of being our own bosses'
It may seem strange my warning of the value of the money, but believe me, it is so esy to be lulled into a false sense of security, and therefore I suggest that extra care. It will help in the long run, believe me.. smile.gif
+
friendonlyyours
post 8.Apr.2013, 02:19 PM
Post #14

I think it depends on how is your living style. In this money you can spend a good life with your family if you are not going for more luxurious like having car, TV channels, this and that but not going to save money. Also remember if you have not any experience in Swedish market this is best you can get in start. After couple of years experience you can have more better according to your field.

Housing is hell out problem in Sweden's bigger cities so be ready for that.
+
John.Smith
post 8.Apr.2013, 02:56 PM
Post #15

Honestly speaking, regardless of your lifestyle expectations, that salary will mean a very tight income for raising a family here in Sweden, especially in a city.

Your biggest expense will be rent and thereafter living expenses. Your net income after tax would be 19.943

Lets do the math:

Salary (net): 19943
Barnbidrag; 2000
Föräldrarpengar Net at 180kr/day 4000
Total Income: 25943kr per month approx.

It is possible, but it means being very cautious of your spending on food and living expenses etc.. Having a car would be a big drain in terms of petrol, tax, insurance, maintenance etc.. Extra curricular activities would be limited by expense.

I do not know what your situation is like now in terms of income but choose wisely! Also, take a look at other threads here ref. job seeking for non-Swedish speaking folk. It is a hard market at the moment.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com