• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Praktik jobb sucks

Con job exploiters

Mr UK
post 18.Apr.2013, 08:14 PM
Post #1

I have heard so many horror stories from people who have moved to Sweden regarding this praktik jobb which Arbetsformedlingen offer to people who've been unemployed for a long time for one reason or another. Basically, Arbetsformedlingen will place you at a specific work place, for example IKEA for a period of 3 months or longer. You work the normal 8 hour day, 5-day week in the hope of you gaining some valuable work experience.So it works out to around 160 hours a month. Now here's the fun part. Arbetsformedlingen expect you to do all this for FREE. That's right, no salary except for a paltry couple thousand from ''activitystod'', which they say you'll receive as long as you turn up for work everyday. Now I don't know about you but this sounds like a very (not) clever way of getting you to work for nothing. I have spoken to many people who have done this praktik con job and not one of them had anything good to say about it. One guy I spoke to had done it for nearly a year and at the end of it, there was no offer of a permanant job. I think it's bang out of order the way the system here in Sweden uses certain people to get them to do their dirty work. I was offered a praktik job but I told my handlakare exactly where she could stick her praktik job bcos as far as I'm aware, slavery has been abolished many years ago.

Slicker Than Your Average:
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 18.Apr.2013, 08:18 PM
Post #2

How about going back to school and getting a proper education?

As you have yourself realized, without education you're not good enough to shuffle around the IKEA boxes.

~~~PDX~~~
+
intrepidfox
post 18.Apr.2013, 08:30 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Mr UK @ 18.Apr.2013, 08:14 PM) *
. I was offered a praktik job but I told my handlakare exactly where she could stick her praktik job bcos as far as I'm aware, slavery has been abolished many years ago.. Slicker Than Your Average:

Telling her to stick the job will mean that you will not receive any money from the social or försäkringskassan
+
Megalagom
post 18.Apr.2013, 08:36 PM
Post #4

Praktiks are a great way to get your foot in the door. It is a good way to practice your new language and get experience in a new country, where otherwise your previous work experience doesn't mean a whole lot. When you move to Sweden it means starting over and sometimes that means starting from the bottom. Praktiks are what you make of them - for me its a way to network, meet people, and practice my Swedish. Having a praktik is an OPPORTUNITY.

A permanent job is not guaranteed, but it is a reference on your CV, experience, and practice. A company is only allowed to have one pratikant at a time, and you agree upon the work time frame - how is this a con? You also choose to work full time or part time, and if you are part time then you can choose to work very few hours. My språkpraktik is only a few hours a week.

Of course some companies can try to exploit the system, that has nothing to do with the praktik system or arbetsförmedlingen. If you are feeling "conned" then report the company and move on. They are giving you a chance to get back into the job market, so there's nothing to complain about. It's no different than an internship, which is done for experience and networking usually with no pay at all.

I don't think there are many countries that have a system in place to help people that can hardly speak the language and has inadequate education to find a "real job." Sorry if you had a bad experience, but don't make it sound so terrible for other people who are trying to figure out how to get started in Sweden. Praktiks are optional and an opportunity. But like anything, they are what you make of them.

Megalagom ~ Something Swedish ~
+
intrepidfox
post 18.Apr.2013, 08:38 PM
Post #5

He may be talking about FAS 1,2 and 3 which is very different
+
Case officer
post 18.Apr.2013, 09:04 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Megalagom @ 18.Apr.2013, 09:36 PM) *
I don't think there are many countries that have a system in place to help people that can hardly speak the language and has inadequate education to find a "real job. ... (show full quote)

I'm with Meg here. This is an opportunity for people with limited experience to get your foot through the door, particularly if your Swedish proficiency or education level is limited. And it is not slavery, you are free to stay home and live off your trust fund instead.
+
gplusa
post 19.Apr.2013, 08:03 AM
Post #7

All fuss about nothing. Praktik jobs are a chance to get something Swedish on your CV, and that is worth gold. There are a few employers who seek to exploit the system, but they are far and away the minority. I'm the product of a praktik job, and I've been permanently employed by the same employer for the past 5 years, who probably wouldn't have taken a risk on me without the praktik experience I had with them. So I'm all for it.

What exactly is the disadvantage to you as a potential employee ? Get yourself known in the Swdish workforce, gain Swedish work experience, and not be out of pocket for your troubles. The alternative being to lie on the couch at home for the whole day. Tough compromise.
+
Yorkshireman
post 19.Apr.2013, 08:21 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (gplusa @ 19.Apr.2013, 08:03 AM) *
There are a few employers who seek to exploit the system, but they are far and away the minority.

Hmmm ... that has been shown enough times to be incorrect.

The philosophy behind the idea of work experience is reasonable and good, but it is natural that it is exploited as it provides cheap labour for companies. Basically, take as much as you can get from the experience, and challenge the employer for more wink.gif

Even local Kommuns exploit(ed) the scheme, since people that have been out of work for long periods, or never been in it, are most likely on social welfare (which is paid by the Kommun) they realised a few years ago that if they created temporary work experience positions, employed (subsidised from central Gov.) someone for 6 months then that person then qualified for A-Kassa (which is not paid by the Kommun) once they were released from the work experience position. Hence, the local Kommun could save money by creating these positions, and it certainly was not about giving work experience! It is a creative (wont say abuse!) use of the system.
+
Seamus Sean
post 19.Apr.2013, 09:34 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (PDX @ 18.Apr.2013, 08:18 PM) *
How about going back to school and getting a proper education?. As you have yourself realized, without education you're not good enough to shuffle around the IKEA boxes.. ~~~PDX~~~

What I have realized reading your posts is that you are not a very nice person, comments like the one above is rude...doesn´t quite sink to the levels you reached when posting on the Boston bombing but gives another insight into what kind of mind you have!

Pay him no heed Mr.UK, I hear where you are coming from, I am a qualified tradesman who has from time to time sought employment in Sweden, I was given interviews with a few firms, I was over qualified for the jobs but I was well capable of doing the work and I don´t have an attitude that certain jobs are below me, but one of the firms were trying to wrangle a better deal for taking me on, my job coach told me, they were getting me to work for free but they wanted paying for taking me on or more pay, anyway I turned up for the "interview" early, the boss was late, he met me in the doorway spoke for a few minutes as to what I could do where and for whom I had previously worked, he knew the names as the companies are well known internationally, I have fantastic references and many additional certifications gained over my 25 years working at my trade, this guy didn´t even take off his coat as he "interviewed" me, at the end of our chat he told me to give him my phone number, the fact it sits very near the top of my CV in bold type confirmed the guy hadn´t even read my CV...I didn´t get the job. I was forced to return working across the border in Norway, where I have been working for close to 10 years now, earning twice as much as I would in Sweden and due to my rotational work only working 20 weeks a year, it took time but I got over not getting taken on to work for free!

So chin up, and don't let the nasty comments get to you...some folk are just born w@nkers! wink.gif
+
PDX
post 19.Apr.2013, 09:40 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 19.Apr.2013, 09:34 AM) *
So chin up, and don't let the nasty comments get to you...some folk are just born w@nkers! wink.gif

Thanks wink.gif . I think my comment in this thread was just a healthy dose of realism. I am happy you found a good job in Norway.

As to the Boston comments, that was a little bit of trolling on what is a totally off-topic thread for this forum, no offense intended really, tends to get a bit out of hand at times rolleyes.gif .

~~~PDX~~~
+
Coolrunnings
post 19.Apr.2013, 10:26 AM
Post #11

Jobs don't grow on trees. You should be grateful that you get the honour of being someones bitch. wink.gif
+
Yorkshireman
post 19.Apr.2013, 10:43 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Coolrunnings @ 19.Apr.2013, 10:26 AM) *
Jobs don't grow on trees.

What about Arborists? rolleyes.gif
+
Migga
post 19.Apr.2013, 12:32 PM
Post #13

The purpose of praktik is for you to get experience, network or learn swedish if you are an immigrant. It is not meant for you to make a living.
+
nidzzy
post 19.Apr.2013, 12:43 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Megalagom @ 18.Apr.2013, 07:36 PM) *
A company is only allowed to have one pratikant at a time, . Megalagom ~ Something Swedish ~

Well, I know some companies who hire ONLY praktik or free working students. At a moment, as of I know, they have 3-4 praktiks working for them. They have no intention of hiring anyone on salary after praktik period if over. They merely hire praktik as its free to them and its government funded.

Does arbetsformedling take any action to black list such companies?
+
Max Reaver
post 20.Apr.2013, 12:42 AM
Post #15

Got a friend who has been unemployed for quite some time. He did a couple of praktik and it was very clear in the beginning that those companies wouldn't give any praktikant a long-term contract. One place he went had almost only praktikant. The company kept on taking in praktikanter and spew them out every 3 months. This is especially true when the economy is looking bad.
+

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se