• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Looking for a job in Sweden

Engineering, Biotechnology

Unlimited
post 20.Apr.2013, 08:46 PM
Post #1

Hello,

I live in Skåne area. I worked in Denmark while I was living in Sweden. I had a temporally job in DK, due to the crisis they could not effort to extent my contract. The Swedish job center is bad and they don't help at all. For this year ( i.e. first 4 months ), I have been to 7 job interviews in Denmark, while for the last 2 years I haven't been to any single interviews in Sweden. I suspect that Swedish people discriminate since I have a foreign name. In biotech ( food, drug and chemistry ) industries usually prefer English as the main spoken language.

Unfortunately, I got rejection for all jobs in Denmark due to lack of work experience. Anyway, I hope some of you guys can help me to find a job or advise me how I can get a job. The Swedish job center doesn't know anything.

I did register my profile at Adecco in Sweden for 2 years ago, but no word from them. I have several times contacted them and they tend to ignore my email, since they never replied any single request from me. Are there other recruitment companies in Sweden that are specialized in Biotech? Does anyone knows someone who can hire me, I don't care if I have to do a hotel job. As long it is in Skåne area.
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 20.Apr.2013, 09:56 PM
Post #2

Why not change your name then and see if your accusations of discrimination are valid? This is pretty much free...

In any case, the Danes said NO to you and so did the Swedes. What is your real expertise in the biotechnology area?

~~~PDX~~~
+
chris001
post 20.Apr.2013, 11:32 PM
Post #3

PDX your a real idiot, swedes like yourself make foreigners runaway silly racist
+
Migga
post 21.Apr.2013, 01:12 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Unlimited @ 20.Apr.2013, 08:46 PM) *
For this year ( i.e. first 4 months ), I have been to 7 job interviews in Denmark, while for the last 2 years I haven't been to any single interviews in Sweden.

Well that`s hardly suprising seeing as the market for Biotech is bigger in Denmark then it is in just the Skåne area.

I suspect that Swedish people discriminate since I have a foreign name. In biotech ( food, drug and chemistry ) industries usually prefer English as the main spoken language.

Why do you suspect that? Got anything to back up your suspicion? What kind of discrimination is it? Is it because of your name or your lack of the language?

The Swedish job center is bad and they don't help at all.

Unfortunately, I got rejection for all jobs in Denmark due to lack of work experience. Anyway, I hope some of you guys can help me to find a job or advise me how I can get a j ... (show full quote)

The job center is there to make it easier for you to find a job, they aren`t there to find them for you.

Are there other recruitment companies in Sweden that are specialized in Biotech?

You can try these;
http://www.haegerpartner.com/index.php?page=english
http://www.pharmarelations.se/se/startsida
http://www.kellyservices.com/global/science/
http://www.biotechjobpartner.com/page8.html
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Apr.2013, 10:46 AM
Post #5

Unfortunately, I got rejection for all jobs in Denmark due to lack of work experience. Anyway, I hope some of you guys can help me to find a job or advise me how I can get a j ... (show full quote)

Being rejected for all jobs in Denmark due to lack of experience should indicate to you that you are targeting the wrong jobs! They obviously wanted someone with more experience than You have. If you are targeting the very same kind of roles in Sweden, it is no surprise You are not called to interview, to draw the conclusion that it is descrimination based upon name is illogical, maybe they see immediately that you lack the correct experience and dont bother to respond due to the number of applicants. Swedish employers value experience in the relevant area for the role greatly.
+
Unlimited
post 21.Apr.2013, 11:00 AM
Post #6

@Migga: Due to your totally lack of understanding of how the biotech industries work, then I recommend you to help me instead of making a discussion with me.

@Yorkshireman: Again, your lack of understanding doesn't help me at all. If they call me into a job interview, means that they're very much interested in me. Some companies called more than 13 people into a job interview, so you do the math of my chances to get the job. You're wrong for the matter of that language is a barrier. Biotech main cooperate language is in English and not in Swedish or in Danish. Yes, I speak Danish fluently and I never used a single word in Danish from my previous work in Denmark. Additionally, more than 60 % of people working there were foreigners ( mostly Americans who didn't speak a word in Danish ).
Since, you're telling me that I don't have the qualifications for biotech jobs, then what job should I search for? The job center aren't any help and your discussion isn't going to help me as well. And yes, whether if you like it or not, discrimination does happen in Sweden.

I have been seeking for jobs that I'm overqualified for. Usually they reject me because I'm overqualified for the job.

What do you prefer? To discuss with me while I’m unemployed and getting unemployment money ( so you work your ass off for me being unemployed ) or to help me to find a job?

So please, I don't prefer discussion, but I need help. If any of you can help me, I'd really appreciate this, thanks.
+
Max Reaver
post 21.Apr.2013, 01:32 PM
Post #7

Dude, I understand your frustrations, I know that Migga and Yorkshireman are idiots. Your tones got a bit aggressive there and for your sake I hope it doesn't scare away the ones who truly wanna help.

I'm also trying to enter the biotech industry, albeit in a different country. What companies have you already applied? Have you contacted Academic Work? What about your previous employers in Denmark? Maybe they can give you some inside information about their collaborators in the industry?
+
Migga
post 21.Apr.2013, 01:54 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Unlimited @ 21.Apr.2013, 11:00 AM) *
Due to your totally lack of understanding of how the biotech industries work, then I recommend you to help me instead of making a discussion with me.

Then help me understand if you think I don`t. But remember this is a discussion forum where one discuss, it`s not a job board where you should post your CV and expect people to find you a job.

And yes, whether if you like it or not, discrimination does happen in Sweden.

It does, noone has said otherwise. Thing is that not every case is discrimination.

What do you prefer? To discuss with me while I’m unemployed and getting unemployment money ( so you work your ass off for me being unemployed ) or to help me to find a job?

I`d prefer if you`d help yourself by finding the answers. If you can`t you ask for advice. But noone is going to give or find you a job, you get it yourself.

So please, I don't prefer discussion, but I need help. If any of you can help me, I'd really appreciate this, thanks.

I`ve given you some link where you can start, the rest is up to you. If you are looking for more advice on how to get a job you should read some of the other threads on this forum, using social ties is one way.
+
chloeff
post 21.Apr.2013, 02:34 PM
Post #9

Whoa, I would advise you not to lash out at people who try to help you.

FYI, everything Migga said makes sense.

My own personal opinion is that they either didn't like you as a person - hardly surprising after reading your replies here, or that they found your English too flawed - it is quite poor.

Out of curiosity, what is your name that you think is getting you rejected?

If you are that desperate for a job, why not just try another country in that case?
+
Migga
post 21.Apr.2013, 02:50 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Max Reaver @ 21.Apr.2013, 12:32 PM) *
I know that Migga and Yorkshireman are idiots.

What a horrible comment, your attitude is terrible.
+
Max Reaver
post 21.Apr.2013, 02:57 PM
Post #11

Hahaha if I wanna show an example of horrible comments and terrible attitude, I'd start with those times you lashed out at people who wanted nothing more but to share their story.
+
fxt
post 21.Apr.2013, 02:58 PM
Post #12

I have the same experience from this area of industry. My inbox is full of rejections from that kind of companies. I would suggest you to learn Swedish first and then if you are lucky you may get a job.
+
Unlimited
post 21.Apr.2013, 09:43 PM
Post #13

If you're not going to help, then too bad for you. I'll be on social benefit until I get a job, if I don't get a job, then I should thank you for have given me social benefit and thank you for working so hard for me.

By the way, I have several Swedish friends who confirmed that discrimination is a problem and it happens quite often. I also had few Swedish coworkers in Denmark, who didn't even spoke a word in Danish. So don't tell me that Swedish language is essential in order to get a job. If Swedish people doesn't give a shit about Danish language, why the hell should I? Your country is not that important, only 10 mio people speaks Swedish, where at least 4 mio of them speaks Swedish in a shitty level. Also my ex-girlfriend who didn't know a word in Swedish, got a job at Ikea's engineering department. So don't pretend that you know more about the job market in Sweden, so fuck off.

Also A-kassen told me that my chances to find a job are better in Denmark and it has nothing to do with language, but more because of many biotech companies exist in Denmark. They did not recommend me to seek for jobs that I'm overqualified for here in Sweden nor in Denmark.

Do you know of how many Swedish people who are working in Denmark and not even speaking a word in Danish? I can tell you, that it is more than 10.000. They work at universities, restaurants, hotels and other places. So it's ok for Swedish people not learning Danish because their ass is so lazy, but it's not ok for me to seek for a job since I don't know Swedish. Come on, try to be fair and stop being selfish. Lazy cunts

Some lame comments here, I didn't even bother to read all of it. Anyway, I'm not going to check the discussion page, if you really believe that you can help me with me to find a job, then please PM me. Have fun to discuss whatever you want here.
+
djmarko
post 21.Apr.2013, 10:36 PM
Post #14

Damn, you need to tone down your language here, you should channel your frustrations into something positive, look at other countries as well, dont limit your options to sweden alone, try linkedin, jobserve, nobody here will help you get a job, only give advice
+
Yorkshireman
post 22.Apr.2013, 07:50 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Unlimited @ 21.Apr.2013, 09:43 PM) *
If you're not going to help, then too bad for you. I'll be on social benefit until I get a job, if I don't get a job, then I should thank you for have given me soc ... (show full quote)

I don't pay your benefits. If you have a-kassa You and your fellow a-kassa members pay, and you will continue to pay into the a-klassa once you are working again. However, obviously something is broken in the system, since when working in Denmark you will have been paying Danish Social Taxes which means that your benefits should be paid by Denmark, regardless of which Member State you live in.

By the way, I have several Swedish friends who confirmed that discrimination is a problem and it happens quite often.

So, you and several others have agreed that it is discrimination and that proves what? Did you pass it to DO for investigation, if so, what did they find? Last year there was 17.000 new work permits granted for people from outside the EU, I doubt they had Swedish names, yet they managed to not only get a job but did it from outside of Sweden and their employers were even prepared to wait for the time it takes to process the applications. My God! Maybe the Swedish companies are specifically targeting their racism only at You and your friends ...how mean can they be.

I also had few Swedish coworkers in Denmark, who didn't even spoke a word in Danish.

And I have/had co-workers that dont speak Swedish, nor have Swedish names here in Sweden. It depends what you have to offer your employer and if they believe that you will add value.

Also my ex-girlfriend who didn't know a word in Swedish, got a job at Ikea's engineering department. So don't pretend that you know more about the job market in Sweden, so fuck off.

I kind of get the picture why she decided to become an ex. wink.gif

Also A-kassen told me that my chances to find a job are better in Denmark and it has nothing to do with language, but more because of many biotech companies exist in Denmark. ... (show full quote)

So, now you know why you get rejected in Sweden. Less jobs, and in all likelyhood far more people applying for them. ie. Greater competition in Sweden than in Denmark for the positions. Of course they would not recommend you to apply for jobs you are over qualified for, employers will take one look and push you to the side. One of the things employers look at is is it likely this person will stay for a certain period of time, some agencies are paid part of their fee based upon the fact that a new employee stays for a minimum duration. Less qualified = probably looking for just a job, but will move when something more qualified comes along.

So it's ok for Swedish people not learning Danish because their ass is so lazy, but it's not ok for me to seek for a job since I don't know Swedish. Come on, try t ... (show full quote)

Swedish and Danish are very similar languages and they can normally understand each other. It is tradition, and sometimes annoying to Swedes since they often prefer to speak English with Danes, to say Norwegians, Swedish and Danish understand each other.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN