• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

From the UK to Sweden

Fingers crossed for jobs!

Jan Regal
post 20.Apr.2013, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Hej hej, hu mar du alla! (I need a Swedish keyboard, to start off with.. as well as brushing up on my Svensk!)

I've applied to 21 courses (Oh Swedish higher education system, how I appreciate this!) within Gothenburg, however I do not find out if I get into any of the courses into late July. And most of the courses start early August.

So I'm looking to move over early before hand.

Luckily, I will be financially backed by my family initially, but I have begun posting CVs and such to various resturants and hotels, seeking out basic menial work and such (I'd much rather be self sufficient over being backed by my family). I was in Sweden a few weeks ago, and I asked the hotel I stayed at for jobs, they said they may have something in the Summer (they knew I didn't speak very good English) - so what I assumed, is that when it comes to your 'basic' jobs (cleaning, hotel porters etc. etc.), knowing only English, although a barrier, won't full out STOP me from finding me work, am I correct?

I plan to enrol in the free Swedish courses the university provides.. but of course, I cannot do this until I start University.
Go to the top of the page
+
Migga
post 21.Apr.2013, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Is this really how some people approach moving to another country? You send out a bunch of applications to different uni courses, the more the better it seems in your case, and then you plan on moving to Sweden before you have been accepted? You also have no idea about the job market, speak no Swedish, very basic english and hope you will get a low skilled job on the side?

Moving to another country is hard. Moving to another country with no preperations, no ties, no knowledge of the language, no job or education set in stone and no prior experience makes it near impossible. Perhaps you will find a low skilled job but it`s far from a guarantee. You will be competing with alot of others looking for the same jobs. Some swedish students looking for a job on the side or other immigrants.

Hopefully my answer makes you plan for the road ahead.
+
Jan Regal
post 21.Apr.2013, 01:22 AM
Post #3

Well, I had written a large reply - but my internet cut out (perfect timing!)

I realise I may have come across as blaze' in my initial post, with no clue at all - on the contrary, with Sweden itself, I had a Swedish girlfriend of near 4 years and so am no stranger to the country itself. I am actually English myself, although I suppose my poor usage of my own language can be copped down to excitement and general bad forum posting ability.

I have read up on all of the procedure, legislation and laws regarding moving. The right of residency, requirements for that - the right for financial basic support, CSN, SFI etc. etc. To come over in mid-July, to prepare for early August, is a disaster waiting to happen (the housing situation in Gothenburg isn't great, as I'm sure you're aware). I am in a lucky enough position where I can be financially capable of living for a fair while, I am within the EU, a man of 21 years with no long term commitments or ties, with contacts in both Sweden and the UK.

This, if anything, is a very 'safe' venture. I have a number of safety nets.

I apologise if I came across as rash headed and unknowledgeable of the entire situation.

Many thanks for your post,
Jan.
+
Migga
post 21.Apr.2013, 09:54 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Jan Regal @ 21.Apr.2013, 01:22 AM) *
I realise I may have come across as blaze' in my initial post, with no clue at all - on the contrary, with Sweden itself, I had a Swedish girlfriend of near 4 years and so ... (show full quote)

No need to appologise, I just wanted to give you a heads up because your first post made it seem as if you would just step of the boat filled with dreams and hopes. I know about the housing situation in Gothenburg and the job situation aswell, I hope you do also. It`s good to come beforehand and set up shop so you have a head start, but it`s risky to go before knowing for sure. But everything in life is risky, it shouldn`t keep one from trying. There is much to gain and learn by taking risks, I hope things work out for you. My advice to you would be to use whatever ties you have or had. Talk to people you met when you were in Sweden if they know about any work. Talk to your girlfriend, if you`re on good terms, and see if she knows anything. Try going to events held by the Uni where you can network and met others. Thats one way to find a job, low skilled or better.
+
aran1989
post 21.Apr.2013, 10:52 AM
Post #5

Hi

I was in a similar position a few years ago I moved to Goteborg and had little experience, little Swedish and to be honest found it very hard to find work. However I now live in Sthlm and it's much more accepting of people working purely in English, I have been able to find work in a restaurant as a waiter! So go for it mate, moving to another country doesn't have to be a big deal people make such a big deal and say how hard it is here! As long as you get out there hand out some CVs in some English/Irish bars you will get something. People say to me in the restaurant I work at "how have you got a job, do you know the unemployment rate in Sweden?!" To which I reply "I asked for this job and I work hard" Yes find out a few things but you will find out everything you need to know when you move. Your only young and If you don't like it just move somewhere else! Have fun mate.
Aran
+
chloeff
post 21.Apr.2013, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Jan, are those bachelors you applied to or master's courses? I believe the results came out already ...

Also how did you manage to apply to so many courses? I thought 5 was the max lol.
+
Max Reaver
post 21.Apr.2013, 03:09 PM
Post #7

I heard you can do the so-called "late applications". Maybe Jan did that, therefore he is still waiting for the results.

Good luck to you Jan, wish you all the best. aran1989 said it best. It won't be easy but stay strong and you'd be fine!
+
Jan Regal
post 21.Apr.2013, 10:45 PM
Post #8

Chloeff, they're bachelor and shorter courses - for the march-april period for August. English speaking courses. Results come out in July.

And it's 25 courses per University! biggrin.gif

And thanks fellas! I think the next step is to make some further contacts to speak and be in touch with. smile.gif
+
skogsbo
post 22.Apr.2013, 06:42 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Jan Regal @ 21.Apr.2013, 10:45 PM) *
Chloeff, they're bachelor and shorter courses - for the march-april period for August. English speaking courses. Results come out in July.. And it's 25 courses per University! biggrin.gif

you do realise that as you have no real career or educational direction, that the courses that have places will probably be the ones that provide very little employment potential in the future? Perhaps if bank of Mamma/ Pappa is funding you, you are less discerning in your career choice?

Personally, you should think what you enjoy and aspire to do, then study in that direction in whatever country is best for that field / university.

At the moment, I think you are a young puppy in love, finding any course to come to Sweden, on a dream?
+
Jan Regal
post 22.Apr.2013, 10:38 AM
Post #10

Correct Skogsbo - My Bachelor choices are ideal career paths I'd enjoy to take, but the others are nothing more than CV buffers, and the spice of variety added to my life. I am content with this. I want to enjoy life and explore many aspects of this.

This all comes down to mindsets, however Skogsbo, you put it across as I am some naive child who's making an incorrect choice, I however, see it as a man who's smitten by a country and wishes to simple -be- there, learning, working and living. Any avenue is an avenue, and if there's a possibility, I will take it.

I am lucky enough to be blessed with the backing and such, where I can take this time out at a young age to simple.. enjoy and find life.

Life is too short to be spent working in a call center at 21 (me).
+
chazza
post 22.Apr.2013, 01:15 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Jan Regal @ 22.Apr.2013, 09:38 AM) *
Life is too short to be spent working in a call center at 21 (me).

Couldn't agree more Jan. Good for you for giving it a shot. There'll be plenty of time to take everything seriously and plenty of opportunity when you get here - look what happened to skogs laugh.gif .

Lycka till smile.gif
+
Jan Regal
post 22.Apr.2013, 05:37 PM
Post #12

Thanks chazza!

We only got one life on this Earth, we got to make the most of it!

Tack sa mycket! (no Swedish keyboard, hah)
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com