• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Tax ... efficiency?

Anyone got any good whezes.

Dyson
post 24.Apr.2013, 08:53 AM
Post #1

Hi there, I didn't see anything specific in the titles so forgive me if this has already been covered. I've been happily (slavishly) filling in my tax return for a few years now and have been very happy that the Swedish government fills in most of it for you- even the bits where they have to give you some money back- quite a refreshing departure from other countries I have lived in (yes I am including you Great Britain and your shameless self assessment ;-)

However, my ever loving wife has now pointed out that if I save up over 9000kr in travel recipts, I can claim some extra money back from t' government. Coming from the land of entitlement/ blame culture, that's music to my ears.

Seeign as I still have trouble reading through Swedish tax law, has anyone got any juicy titbits for me so I can save money next year? (I have already faithfully SMS'ed in my return for this year so perhaps a little too late- never mind! I am still a fan of big tax/ big government Sweden- in these uncertain corporate times, long may it continue!!)

Anyhow- tax tips anyone? tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 24.Apr.2013, 09:00 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (Dyson @ 24.Apr.2013, 08:53 AM) *
I am still a fan of big tax/ big government Sweden- in these uncertain corporate times, long may it continue!!

Time for a doctor's appointment? I sense a stronger prescription may be in order unsure.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
Yorkshireman
post 24.Apr.2013, 09:11 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Dyson @ 24.Apr.2013, 08:53 AM) *
I have already faithfully SMS'ed in my return for this year so perhaps a little too late-

It is never too late wink.gif ...well, not entirely correct there is a limit... If you have all the receipts and required documentation You can submit those with a request for previous years tax calulations to be re-done, taking into account new information. You can go back 5 years. It is done like this on purpose just in case you made a mistake with regards missing deductions etc... The tax office can also go backwards, and if I remember correctly they can go backwards 10 years!
+
AriesIN
post 24.Apr.2013, 09:20 AM
Post #4

You can save tax on extra pension , upto 12000 SEK (section 43) in tax papers. I am not aware of tax saving from Travel. Could you explain a bit more ?
+
Silberfüchschen
post 24.Apr.2013, 11:21 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (AriesIN @ 24.Apr.2013, 09:20 AM) *
You can save tax on extra pension , upto 12000 SEK (section 43) in tax papers. I am not aware of tax saving from Travel. Could you explain a bit more ?

From Skatteverkets web site:

Journeys to and from work (box 01)

You may only make deductions for journeys between your home and your place of work for that part of your expenses which exceeds SEK 10,000. ...

The lower threshold is increased somewhat every year.
+
Yorkshireman
post 24.Apr.2013, 12:04 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Silberfüchschen @ 24.Apr.2013, 11:21 AM) *
The lower threshold is increased somewhat every year.

The threshold changes to reflect changes with regards the cost of the SL monthly card, so that it is not possible for Stockholmers to claim any public transport travel to/from work costs back. wink.gif
+
AriesIN
post 24.Apr.2013, 12:15 PM
Post #7

Does it mean that if you are travelling within the threshold (10000 SEK) and chose not fill any information in the Tax return then it automatically gets deducted from taxable income ?
+
Silberfüchschen
post 24.Apr.2013, 12:31 PM
Post #8

No, you have to add the travel expenses yourself in the tax return. You must also be able to provide receipts if they would ask for proof.

If your travel expenses were less than 10000 SEK, you will not be able to deduct anything and there is no reason to add the information in the tax return.
+
Dyson
post 24.Apr.2013, 01:23 PM
Post #9

Well, thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to dig a little harder into the law- but seeing as I live in a town full of lawyers, the only problem will be staying awake long enough to hear the replies.

As for keeping on taking the tablets, the greatest remedy is a fresh perspective:
http://www.newstatesman.com/environment/20...vernment-sweden

Best regards to you all. biggrin.gif
+
FlyingFraudster
post 5.Jun.2013, 10:55 AM
Post #10

Another appeal to anyone who has expertise / prior experience in "reseavdrag" - travelling to & from work.

I live near Norrköping but will be working in Stockholm and commuting each day. What is for sure is that I will have a fairly significant amount to claim back when it comes to tax return time.

Does anyone here claim for a SJ årskort? This seems the simplest way (as I'd only need to pay out once a year) and with the silver card I'll be able to travel first class meaning I'll get internet on the fast trains included.

On one hand, I'm worried that after shelling out a significant amount on the card (63,700 SEK) and then finding out I can't get any tax relief on it. On the other hand, this would be far better for the tax office than me driving every day, which would be more like 180,000 SEK based on the 18.5 SEK per Swedish Mile.

I've trawled the internet, and Skatteverket's own website (in Swedish and English in case there was anything missing) but I'm really struggling to see any exact requirements. There is mention on one page that you should use the cheapest method of transport, but how on earth would anyone know which method is cheapest over the course of a year? (in other words, they can't expect you to calculate whether 1x yearly ticket is cheaper than individual tickets for every working day, bearing in mind SJ's prices work on some kind of random number generator)

I'm really keen to hear others experiences here!

Thanks in advance,
FF
+
Willy
post 5.Jun.2013, 11:03 AM
Post #11

I fell asleep after a couple of paragraphs smile.gif , but this seems to be somewhat relevant (Swedish):

http://www.skatteverket.se/rattsinformatio...3800017601.html

There's a lot of info to be found if you dig deep into the Skatteverket website.
+
FlyingFraudster
post 5.Jun.2013, 01:13 PM
Post #12

Thanks Willy.
I think this only applies if you're living in a second apartment and are travelling back home. I can't seem to find much about my situation, which will be that I travel to and from work each day.
There are other rules I found about when an employer pays for a travel card - this won't be the case - I'll be paying for travel (train or otherwise) myself. For anyone who might be able to help, it's worth noting I'll be purely office based too, so won't be visiting customers or anything like that as part of the job.
+
Mib
post 5.Jun.2013, 05:19 PM
Post #13

A colleague of mine lives far out from work and uses a car mainly and sometimes train. He got back 35,000 the other year. Unfortunately, I don't have anymore details than that.
+
YuriG
post 12.Jun.2013, 10:03 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (FlyingFraudster @ 5.Jun.2013, 10:55 AM) *
Another appeal to anyone who has expertise / prior experience in "reseavdrag" - travelling to & from work.I live near Norrköping but will be working in Stockhol ... (show full quote)

There is a document that you get with your declaration which outlines the rules. In general it is harder to reclaim car commuting expenses then it is train, there are requirements regarding the amount of time it needs to save etc. You will be fine reclaiming the SJ annual card, I'm just not sure if they will refund first class but that's worth a call. It might not mean you won't get anything but you might only be allowed to file expenses for a second class one. If I'm not mistaken you pay an additional 30% in tax over the money you reclaim, so it's something like ( commuting cost - 10000 ) * 0.7 for the return calculation.
+
FlyingFraudster
post 17.Jun.2013, 03:21 PM
Post #15

Thanks for the help YuriG!
I think I'll have to give them a call. The other thing I need to check with them is the timing. I know that I can't claim for travel that will be taken in the next tax year, so I want to know how that works (i.e. do I need to wait until January before buying the card, or can I claim X months on this year's return and 12 months on the next (split across 2 cards)
I can't be the only person in the country who does this! I've spoken with friends who I know commute to Stockholm, but they all drive. I'd sooner take the train for many reasons, but will resort to car if it's more economical (although that just sounds bizarre).
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com