• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

My landlord won't return my deposit

What should I do?

Lin1515
post 26.Apr.2013, 12:07 AM
Post #1

Hi everyone

I have a problem! Not long ago I rented a secondhand apartment but I did not sign a contract with the landlord (one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my life). Now I am out of the apartment but he won't give me my deposit back (I did not damage the apartment at all) and he almost attacked me.
I called the police but they said that they can't do nothing about this and I should contact an lawyer.
So: Do you have any advice about this problem, how should I proceed?
I am looking for a lawyer in Stockholm, does anyone know one?
How much do you think it will cost me, is it worth sending this matter to the court?

Thank you in advance!
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 26.Apr.2013, 02:43 AM
Post #2

How can you expect a reply, when you do not say...WHY...your landlord will not return your deposit???
+
goodnight
post 26.Apr.2013, 05:34 AM
Post #3

@Lin1515

Did u pay ur landlord every months cash or transfer money through online from ur account till ur landlord account ? If u paid him online there are still some hope left for u to claim in skattvarket.
On the other hand if u paid cash there is no hope left for u.
+
PDX
post 26.Apr.2013, 06:54 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Lin1515 @ 26.Apr.2013, 12:07 AM) *
How much do you think it will cost me, is it worth sending this matter to the court?

Forget it, the court will ask you for the contract. And what does "almost attacked" mean? Almost attacking is not illegal in Sweden, sorry about that.

This is one of these cheap lessons in life... unsure.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
Yorkshireman
post 26.Apr.2013, 08:27 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (goodnight @ 26.Apr.2013, 05:34 AM) *
If u paid him online there are still some hope left for u to claim in skattvarket.

This would have nothing to do with Skatteverket.

Since you have no proof that there was a deposite requested, and no documentation to say what the monthly rent was (ie. no contract). Even if you could show that you paid money in advance that you claim was a deposite, the landlord could just say it was advance rent non-refundable etc... You need proof.

Did you folkbokför at the address? If you can prove that you lived at the apartment for a certain period, and have documented evidence of paying rent to the landlord (bank transfers proof should be oK) then (and only if) the rent for the apartment was excessive, you could pressure the landlord into paying back the deposite by stating that stating the intention of taking the rent to Hyresnämnden for testing. The landlord risks then having the excess rent back dated by 12 months. The rent you paid must be excessive for that to be useful. Just a thought wink.gif
+
goodnight
post 26.Apr.2013, 10:28 AM
Post #6

@Yorkshireman

Definitely it is the part of Skattvarket. If (Lin1515) can show the bank payment and Lin1515 used the address it is a serious offence in skattvarket's eye. In this case, the offence is not paying skatt to skattvarket which is called svarta pengar.

Because renting out the apartment is consider as a income and the income means tax.
+
PDX
post 26.Apr.2013, 10:34 AM
Post #7

And what proof do you have of the landlord not paying tax to Skatteverket? You are aware that income from renting etc is to be declared in the tax declaration for the entire year.

Sorry guys, there is no crime here (yet).

~~~PDX~~~
+
Yorkshireman
post 26.Apr.2013, 11:16 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (goodnight @ 26.Apr.2013, 10:28 AM) *
Definitely it is the part of Skattvarket. If (Lin1515) can show the bank payment and Lin1515 used the address it is a serious offence in skattvarket's eye. In this case, t ... (show full quote)

There is no reason why Skatteverket would be interested, there is a total lack of proof. Bank transfers from 1 person to another could also be considered a gift for which there is no tax anymore, it could be a loan that is not repaid ...

In addition to that, tax is only due on profit from rent (if it can be established that it was rent income). That is reported only 1 time per year in the tax declaration, you deduct the actual cost of the rent, and then there is the allowance that is not taxed ... it is likely that the final amount left that should be included as income from rent would be of such an amount that it isn't financially beneficial to Skatteverket to warrant the effort to persue or prosecute.

And absolutely none of that would get the OPs deposite back, it would only result in the landlord having to pay a minimum amount of tax, if any tax is/was due. The landlord could even say, OH!, I missed that, I will include it on this/next years declaration as a correction. But the OP still doesnt get the deposite back!
+
Lin1515
post 26.Apr.2013, 11:47 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 26.Apr.2013, 01:43 AM) *
How can you expect a reply, when you do not say...WHY...your landlord will not return your deposit???

He doesn't want to give me back the deposit just because he feels like it!
There is no particular reason, he just refuses to give me back the money.
+
Lin1515
post 26.Apr.2013, 11:49 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (goodnight @ 26.Apr.2013, 04:34 AM) *
@Lin1515 . Did u pay ur landlord every months cash or transfer money through online from ur account till ur landlord account ?

Yes, I paid him the rent online.
+
chazza
post 26.Apr.2013, 12:43 PM
Post #11

No contract = no leg to stand on.

Going to a lawyer would cost way more than your deposit - so I agree with PDX that its a cheap lesson. Not nice I know but NEVER rent without a proper written agreement.
+
RedCreamSodas
post 26.Apr.2013, 01:22 PM
Post #12

Simple fix...do damage to the apartment in equal amount to the deposit!
+
Children Of Adam
post 26.Apr.2013, 08:51 PM
Post #13

How much are we talking about?

Maybe you hire a bodyguard to get it for you wink.gif
+
Max Reaver
post 27.Apr.2013, 10:52 AM
Post #14

Did you have any email from your landlord where he asked you for the specific sum of the deposit? If in one email he mentioned XXXX SEK as deposit and you can show with your transaction record that you paid the exact amount of money, then you can still prove it.
+
sailer
post 27.Apr.2013, 12:56 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 26.Apr.2013, 11:16 AM) *
Bank transfers from 1 person to another could also be considered a gift for which there is no tax anymore,

Is it true?? That means a person who receives gift amount need not pay tax on that amount??
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com