• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Education for Spouse of PhD student

University education for non-EU

Palc
post 27.Apr.2013, 12:08 PM
Post #1

I am a non-EU citizen. I moved here from UK to start a full-time PhD (doktorandanställning) for 4 years in Oct, 2012 and employed by a Swedish university with all the social securities and pension things. I am planning to get married to my non-EU girlfriend officially next year and she will move here in Sweden to stay with me. She is going to finish her Bachelor degree from an Indian University soon but she really wants to continue her studies and wants to do her masters degree after marriage instead of looking for job. That's why I was wondering if she is eligible to study in Swedish university towards her masters degree without paying any non-EU tuition fees as she will be on a dependent Spouse visa (residence permit not work permit)? I pay all the taxes here, I have all the social securities, parental-leave facilities and some people said my family can get free education and health care but I am a bit suspicious. Swedish immigration treat us as student that's why we get residence permit instead of work permit but universities treat us as employee and give us all the holiday, parental leave. pension and social securities that we all know. Therefore, I am not sure how does this education system works for non-EU spouse/family member? Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+
chloeff
post 27.Apr.2013, 12:35 PM
Post #2

Wow the spouse of a PhD student. Surely this must entitle her to free education.

Don't use the term "us" - the university may treat you as an employee as that is basically what doing a PhD is. Not the same thing for a master's, so, afraid not, she will have to pay the 240 grand per year like every asian.
+
Palc
post 27.Apr.2013, 01:07 PM
Post #3

Sorry here "us" means "PhD students employed by swedish universities". I hope that make sense now. By the way, your two paragraphs say two different things. Should I take the second one and get ready to pay 240k Kr/yr for her masters? Thanks for ur info. Let see what others say.
+
Fernandis
post 27.Apr.2013, 01:46 PM
Post #4

If you are non-EU and/or not citizen of Sweden, your wife must pay tuition fees!!! If you pay taxes, this is not something you are unique because everyone who works here must pay taxes, UNLIKE INDIA ( i hope u got my point) wink.gif Get prepared for SEK 200k (in average) for a 2 years master program. Think critically, whether Sweden is right place for both of you because if you do Ph.D, it'll take 4-5 years and during this time you'r wife'll be home without further education if you can not afford tuition fees for her, this'll ruin her professional background.
+
airplanes
post 27.Apr.2013, 01:53 PM
Post #5

The only place you should be looking for an answer is directly calling antagning.se. It's way too specific of a situation to guarantee you a safe response on a forum like this. Their website says that if you have ANY sort of a residence permit other than that for studies, you are not required to pay fees. However, I have no idea what kind of a permit is given to the spouse of a PhD student in Sweden, given that we know that PhD students are regarded as students, and not employees (I personally admire any non-EU academic who chooses Sweden precisely for that reason, seems a very risky business). Then again, I think it is quite likely your wife might get a residence permit entitling her to a whole set of stuff you yourself would not be entitled to, it's a common paradox in EU law and something that gets used as a loophole a lot (I personally know some people who secured themselves open work permits for European countries by sending off spouses to do some lame degrees in obscure universities, however none of these cases involve Sweden (because of the tuition fees, of course), so hard to tell for sure. Call antagning.se.
+
axiom
post 27.Apr.2013, 02:21 PM
Post #6

No, your wife will not be required to pay tuition fees. She does not have a residence permit for studying and therefore is exempted from fees. I have a friend in pretty much the same position and his wife studies for free.
+
wondering
post 27.Apr.2013, 02:23 PM
Post #7

Really quick...check your permit...

If you have a study permit for studies then your wife will not be able to study free of charge.

If you have a work permit then your wife can study for free.

What I suggest is that you talk to your University and try and arrange a work permit from your university as a researcher.

This helps both with your PR and also that your wife will be able to study for free.
+
wondering
post 27.Apr.2013, 02:26 PM
Post #8

Also once you have the work permit the cutoff date for when your wife can apply or enrol to University is April 15th.
+
axiom
post 27.Apr.2013, 05:06 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (wondering @ 27.Apr.2013, 02:23 PM) *
Really quick...check your permit... If you have a study permit for studies then your wife will not be able to study free of charge. If you have a work permit then your wife ca ... (show full quote)

This is not true, I know at least one PhD student whose wife studies for free.
+
wondering
post 27.Apr.2013, 06:29 PM
Post #10

Could you check that he has a student or work permit ?

Also if you arrived before 2010 then everyone studied for free.
+
axiom
post 28.Apr.2013, 09:22 AM
Post #11

He has a student permit and she came in 2012
+
Palc
post 28.Apr.2013, 01:02 PM
Post #12

The sounds from 'axiom' is very positive and confident but I got a mixed kinds of responses. Its really hard to come to a conclusion from here. I was wondering if somehow I could get in touch with a person who knows exact rules or the person who had a similar situation after 2011 to confirm?
+
axiom
post 28.Apr.2013, 01:06 PM
Post #13

Just checked with my friend and confirmed, my only error is that she is doing a Bachelors not a Masters
+
Palc
post 28.Apr.2013, 01:39 PM
Post #14

That sounds great as since 2011 spring, every non-EU supposed to pay tuition fees whether its a bachelor or master degree. As you said she is doing a bachelor degree and started in 2012 that means she has been waved from paying any fees because of being on "residence permit not for study purpose" but "dependent on PhD student's residence permit". I really appreciate for your replies. I will contact my university international admission department soon and let see what they say.
+
Yorkshireman
post 28.Apr.2013, 01:59 PM
Post #15

OP, it does not matter what Your permit is, which is what some of the other posters keep refering to. What matters is what permit your wife-to-be has. If she gets a permit based upon relationship, then that is not a permit for studies. ie. She will should not have to pay tuition fees. Payment of tuition fees is only applicable to non-EU students that have a permit to study.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se