• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Irish & UK bank cards not working

In Swedish ATM

simondavidson1
post 27.Apr.2013, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Ok,

For the past 2 weeks I've been unable to use the 3 bank cards from various banks in the UK and Ireland, I insert the cards into the ATM and it says, card declined, contact your bank, the banks that issued the cards say the cards are OK, cash is in the accounts and its annoying because I cannot access my cash...

Anyone else experience this problem with Swedish ATMs ?

All cards were working OK for the past 9 months then stopped.. 2 weeks ago..
Go to the top of the page
+
simondavidson1
post 27.Apr.2013, 10:38 PM
Post #2

The credit card I have from Ireland works OK..

but I dont like using credit cards, I want to be able to withdraw my cash from an ATM.. using my bank cards
+
kuuipo
post 28.Apr.2013, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Had a similar problem about a year ago. MIne had a little different twist to it. Couldn't use my debit card in the stores in Uppsala, but could withdraw cash at the ATM. Had no problem using it in stores in Stockholm, however. I called my bank and they said it didn't show that the card was even tried, so the problem wasn't on their end. A few months went by and I was able to use it in Uppsala stores again. Very strange. My debit card is a US MC.
There was no explanation for it. I got the same messages you did.. "transaction declined call your bank".
I'd be curious to know if my card is going to give me problems again in Sweden, but I'm not there right now so can't test it. It will have to wait 'til August!
Please keep us posted on the outcome or any changes.
+
simondavidson1
post 28.Apr.2013, 11:27 AM
Post #4

The 2 bank cards I have issued by the banks in Ireland are Maestro and the one issued from the bank in the UK is a Visa (debit cards), I could understand if there was an issue with just one card from one bank but 3 cards from 3 banks being affected at the same time..
+
swede45
post 29.Apr.2013, 09:33 PM
Post #5

did you contact your bank informing them that you will be using the cards in Sweden? Sometimes when I don't do that I get similar decline messages. I also got declines on my Cyprus card because of their capital controls there (with a similar message to contact the bank).

Also, your Irish/UK cards will be in EUR/Pounds and the UK bank will have to be able to provide you with an exchange rate which may not always be possible.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN