• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

SAS 1, 2, 3 or TISUS?

Which is more doable in one year

ameliegold
post 10.May.2013, 12:07 AM
Post #1

Hello guys,

I have a kind of dilemma. Since my dream is to study politics at Uppsala University I decided to do whatever it takes to achieve, therefore I'll move to Sweden in June to attend the Uppsala International Summer Session and after that I want to continue studying swedish.

I have applied to the Qualifying course in Swedish at Linköping Uni, but in the (sad) case I'm not offered a place I am considering studying SAS 1, 2, 3 at comvux and English 5, 6 full time to get MVG in all of them. An other option would be taking Folksuniversitet kurser till I reach the Tisus exam level.

Which path do you advise me to take? Which is the easiest?

thank you all!

best regards smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
tuborgian
post 10.May.2013, 08:05 AM
Post #2

It depends on your situation and personality. I had this choice and went for the SAS1-3 route.

SAS1-3 is long, boring and rubbish at teaching you swedish. But it is free and if you just go through the assignments and study grammar and vocab at home, it is fairly certain that you'll pass. The courses concentrate on reading swedish literature and writing endless essays and analyses. If your grammar and vocab is okay, you'll be fine. The speaking assignments aren't too bad as you can pretty much learn off by heart what you need to say. Also you can adapt the time frame to your needs. But it is reasonable to do all three courses in about 6 months.

TISUS is very hard and expensive. You get one go and if you fail it, you just have to do it again 6 months later. Personally I'd be scared witless at the thought of the oral exam. Also if you are planning to do courses at the folkuniversitetet (paying I assume), they are expensive and very good, but there is very little emphasis on writing.
+
organic225
post 10.May.2013, 12:08 PM
Post #3

I agree with everything tuborgian has said. I'm in SAS now but am not really learning anything from the course. Anything I learn, I do on my own. Furthermore, they just push us students through the levels, even though we're not even close to being at a high school level. Given that you need the piece of paper saying that you've attained a certain level of Swedish education, I'd just suck it up and deal with SAS. As far as actual learning is concerned, you'll have to be motivated to do it yourself.
+
ameliegold
post 10.May.2013, 12:53 PM
Post #4

Wow... That sounds awful! sad.gif the thing is, I calculated how many courses at comvux would I need to raise my score till 21.85 to "secure" a place at uppsala, and I would need 5 with the highest score, also 20. Do you think it would be very hard to get that in sas?

Also, I heard it is easier to learn swedish if you master german language, what do you think about that?

Regarding motivation, my plan was initially to study full time at comvux and I am used to study hard, but still, if you tell me it's such a joke... I don't know what to do! Do you study at comvux full time?

Sorry for all the questions and best of luck with your studies!
+
organic225
post 10.May.2013, 01:21 PM
Post #5

No, I don't study at Comvux, I just take SAS by itself three days per week.

I'd have to disagree about how a mastery of German would somehow make learning Swedish easier. There's a German in my class who is having as hard a time as anybody and who says that it's really not that similar.

I think it depends on what SAS class you take. There are probably good ones, but you'll have to investigate and ask around.
+
uduck
post 10.May.2013, 05:31 PM
Post #6

Does anyone have past year papers for SAS B or SAS 3 or TISUS?
I've tried the TISUS sample paper, is there any past year papers?

Thanks.
+
tuborgian
post 10.May.2013, 05:44 PM
Post #7

Sorry to make it sound awful!!! But thinking about it SAS is a poor course for teaching a language, but if you are motivated then you'll meet people and will be able to achieve what you want. I have be doing each SAS level in 10 weeks, which is considered half-time (if you understand). Normally it should take 20 weeks per level and then you would be studying quarter-time. Meaning that you could be taking 3 other courses to be a full-time student.

I have a child in nursery for 15 hours a week and I can fit in the lessons, the assignments and extra time for studying. But I did have strong grammar and vocab skills before I started.

The folkuniversitetet courses are much more enjoyable and you do get so much more out of it. But you have a to pay. The evening courses aren't too expensive though (about 2500 kr for 6 weeks I believe). Maybe an idea would be to do the SAS1-3 for the universitet requirements with a few evening courses at the Folkuniversitetet so that you learn and enjoy the language more.

I don't want to contradict organic but I have just witnessed my german-speaking friend sail past me to become fluent within 10 months of arriving in sweden (in comparison to my x number of years!). A lot of the vocab and to a slight extent the grammar is pretty similar. I have heard that knowing german can help - or confuse everything, of course!
+
uduck
post 16.May.2013, 03:52 AM
Post #8

Any SAS A or SAS B sample papers available??

I can't seem to find them ... sad.gif
+
tuborgian
post 16.May.2013, 08:52 AM
Post #9

No idea if SASA or B papers are around but this course has been replaced by SAS 1-3. Have you tried skolverkets' website?
+
MikeKams
post 16.May.2013, 10:51 AM
Post #10

You will have to do SAS 3 to be eligible for university/högskolor or folkhöskola . SAS B course has changed to SAS 2 and there isn't a nationalla prov for it anymore. So you will have to study SAS1,SAS2, SAS3 and bear in mind that you cannot do SAS without SFI and SAS grund, unless you get a good result in the evaluation test offered by your kommune utbildning centrum (they will decide you level).

I have wrote a "nationalla prov i SAS 3" last Monday. It is basically writing a vetenskapliga/utredande test (in pm format ) from one "häftet" you will get from your teacher few days before the exam.

Normally they do not teach you grammar and vocabulary on SAS levels (SAS 1-2-3), although some teachers do so but it is not in the official plan. However they will teach how to write different type of text (Insändare , recension, debattartiklar, utredande test, vetenskapliga test ) and you will work on short stories called novoller in Swedish. You should also be prepared to the muntliga prov both all SAS levels.

For Engelska 5 and I don't think you will have a problem. Just do an evaluation test there, I am sure you will be on Engelska 6 or above, if you can prove them that you can write,speak and understand English. From reading you here, I am sure you are on level 6 or above.

Good luck.
+
uduck
post 16.May.2013, 08:03 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (tuborgian @ 16.May.2013, 08:52 AM) *
No idea if SASA or B papers are around but this course has been replaced by SAS 1-3. Have you tried skolverkets' website?

I did .. I tried searching for SAS B or SAS 3 but I couldn't find anything. Could you help?? sad.gif
+
uduck
post 16.May.2013, 08:06 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (MikeKams @ 16.May.2013, 10:51 AM) *
You will have to do SAS 3 to be eligible for university/högskolor or folkhöskola . SAS B course has changed to SAS 2 and there isn't a nationalla prov for it anymore. So ... (show full quote)

Can we register for the national exam without attending the classes at Komvux or without doing any of the uppdrag??

Like register for the course at komvux, but refuse to do any uppdrag or attending class.. with the aim of just sitting for national test. Is that possible?? I just want to test my level and get my cert. without paying like in TISUS.
+
MikeKams
post 17.May.2013, 09:27 AM
Post #13

I am sure you can just do the SAS test without attending these courses. In Stockholm one can do it at Åsö gymnasium, you will need to pay 500 kr for each test. Unfortunately I can't advice about TISUS as I have never done it.

Please check this link :

http://www.asovux.se/index.php?option=com_...&Itemid=574
+
tuborgian
post 17.May.2013, 10:08 AM
Post #14

That's interesting that you can do SAS tests without doing the courses. At my school, you can do the distance course but you still need to do all the assignments to get the grade. It must depend on the school.
+
gplusa
post 17.May.2013, 10:30 AM
Post #15

That surprises me as well. In order to complete the course, I didn't just get to sit the exam. I had a number of assignments, both oral and written, to complete along the way. The Nationella Prov was only one part of the course requirement.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se