• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
20 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Roma beggers everywhere in Stockholm

all vibrating and with two backwards feet

canuk
post 5.Jun.2013, 06:18 AM
Post #1

What is going on in Stockholm lately? Every corner has beggers now. The women are organized to sit beside garbage cans, beside exits to popular points (T bana, shops, etc) and the men are walking around with their canes purchased in bulk all vibrating down the side walk after having all gone to the same acting classes.

Aggressive begging is ruining the atmosphere of this society. Why is the swedish government doing anything.

Moreover, who the heck is actually giving these people money? Characteristically these beggers are part of larger criminal syndicates. Venice has banned begging, and from what i have read Florance is close to doing the same.

The law in sweden for EU migrants is 6 months to find work here correct? Most of these beggers have been here longer then that. How is the Swedish government, or police (as useless as they are) monitoring the situation?
Go to the top of the page
+
Mpf
post 5.Jun.2013, 07:48 AM
Post #2

Made me laugh the other day. Sitting in the Dubliner when one of these sad puppy eyed beggars tapped on the glass holding up his cup looking for money. As we waved him away his mobile rang. It was funny to see his whole body language change. Just goes to show they're not that poor lol Beggars with mobiles, whatever next!
+
canuk
post 5.Jun.2013, 08:28 AM
Post #3

The main issue here is that these romainans especially are part of organized criminal syndicates. there is a lot of information online about this. they should not be treated any differently then other illegals here in sweden.
+
deaftoned
post 5.Jun.2013, 09:11 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (canuk @ 5.Jun.2013, 06:18 AM) *
What is going on in Stockholm lately? Every corner has beggers now. The women are organized to sit beside garbage cans, beside exits to popular points (T bana, shops, etc) and ... (show full quote)

have u tried seeing them in kista lately? it was never like this before.. lived in many countries, never seen anything like anywhere in my life..
+
canuk
post 5.Jun.2013, 09:23 AM
Post #5

i dont understand, do you mean there are a lot of them in kista? that would make sense as they are probably living in 'camps' at no charge, not paying for utilities such as sanitation, etc.
+
Emerentia
post 5.Jun.2013, 09:46 AM
Post #6

Until a couple of years ago I had almost never seen a beggar in Sweden, but since Romania joined the EU, they are everywhere. It´s hard getting used to, we pay so high taxes so people shouldn´t need to beg in our country, but we cant solve the poverty in every other country alone. I think they are here for a couple of months, then they go home, and then they come back again. Even if we were to give them all they needed, it would only result in twice as many next week.

Maybe EU could put some pressure on Romania to take care of their own citizens, and don´t leave that to others. It´s probably cheaper to help them in their own country, give them humatarian aid, help them build houses, hospitals, schools etc than have them come her.

Or maybe it would be better for Sweden if we left the EU all together, it costs so much, and gives very little back.
+
shroomz
post 5.Jun.2013, 09:47 AM
Post #7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people not the same as Romanian .
+
ljtaylor88
post 5.Jun.2013, 10:00 AM
Post #8

I don't blame the beggars, they came here because they believed they could find better opportunities, and who wouldn't do that if they could? Nope, I blame political ideology for the suggestion that we should all be able to walk between borders and live in each other's countries and slot nicely into society and the workforce. Sounds wonderful, except it doesn't work that way between countries with massive cultural, societal and economical differences. Resentment starts to brew on both sides.
+
Migga
post 5.Jun.2013, 11:53 AM
Post #9

If people op giving they won`t beg. Sadly there are these naive people who give them money so they can keep living like an animal here in tent camps and save the money.
+
The Green Turtle
post 5.Jun.2013, 01:24 PM
Post #10

I was living in Gamla Stan for a few years and they'd always ask me for money while I was having my coffee outside in a cafe. One day I lost it and called the police who insisted that they were aware of the problem. I practically screamed at the policewoman on the other end, "HOW CAN YOU BE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM WHEN I'V NEVER ONCE SEEN A POLICEMAN IN GAMLA STAN!?"
+
Svensksmith
post 5.Jun.2013, 01:24 PM
Post #11

A squirt gun filled with cat p1ss seems to work pretty good.
+
The Green Turtle
post 5.Jun.2013, 01:29 PM
Post #12

Haha the Romani guy who begs on the green line is actually pretty funny.
"Hola coca cola" is his marketing slogan. biggrin.gif
+
Snood
post 5.Jun.2013, 02:04 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 5.Jun.2013, 01:24 PM) *
A squirt gun filled with cat p1ss seems to work pretty good.

Ohh that's why they always smell like that, you got to them first!!
+
intrepidfox
post 5.Jun.2013, 02:15 PM
Post #14

I see them every morning on the way to work by Ringön. It seems like they have a meeting and then they get into their cars and vans with their mobiles out to make an honest days work blink.gif
+
Coolrunnings
post 5.Jun.2013, 02:56 PM
Post #15

Not illegal to beg and very unlikely the police will deport eu members. The romani are competing with drug addicts for begging money and mark my words, they will become more agressive as more of their people come here and there is less money to go around. I must have been bothered 10 times today by them.
+

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN