• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Need some advice!

Buyer rights when you buy a car

French Connection
post 16.Jun.2013, 11:06 AM
Post #1

Can I get some adives from you folks?
Last Sunday I´ve bought a car,a cheaper one,just to comute to and from work.The car has been bought from a car dealer with midle east background,I have driven the car for about 3 KM to see how its work and it was fine.I´ve bought it and the same day,returning from a restaurant`I´ve noticed that the ABS and ESP warning lamp came on.
Short story,I´ve serched on internet and it appears to be the ABS/ESP pump.
Today I´ve been to the car dealer to leave the car back because by the end of the month I have to do besiktning and with this problem I´m 100% sure that will not pass it.
The car dealer told me that ´he will not take the car back and so on,finishing with threaten me that he has a gun in his car and his from Södertälje.
Can you tell me how can I get my money back and leave the car?Do I have any rights?Do I have any chances against this "man from Södertälje"?
Go to the top of the page
+
Jules
post 16.Jun.2013, 12:53 PM
Post #2

Caveat Emptor, you bought a second hand car presumably without having it checked by an independent mechanic, which in my opinion would be a pretty foolish thing to do.

However that being said if he is a dealer i.e. is registered as a business and paying tax then you should contact konsumentverket to find out what your rights are in this case. I have no idea personally what your rights are in this case but there may be some implied warranty at sale or it may be that it was sold as seen, either way you can read up on the situation at konsumentverket.se or given that the case may be a little more complex as it is a second hand car, contact them regarding the problem to see if they can help.

Regarding the dealers reaction such threatening behaviour should really be reported to the police, however it will be your word against his, and he presumably has your bank details etc.. so could in theory find out where you live and pay you a visit, so you may want to weigh up the risks involved. In my experience people who shout about waving guns about the place are either windbags trying to put the fear up you by playing the hard man, or nut cases best left alone, either way I would probably not confront him again personally for fear of finding out that its the latter.
+
Fernandis
post 16.Jun.2013, 02:38 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (French Connection @ 16.Jun.2013, 12:06 PM) *
Can I get some adives from you folks?Last Sunday I´ve bought a car,a cheaper one,just to comute to and from work.The car has been bought from a car dealer with midle east bac ... (show full quote)

hello...yes, you can return the car to him, BUT don't ask him again. Juts call the police and tell them whole story, they'll advice you what to do. In Sweden there if a car shows any technical faults within 5 km after purchase, the buyer can return it back or the seller will pay the repairing cost...ask about this to police they tell u what to do next. Don't make any contact with the seller.
+
French Connection
post 17.Jun.2013, 07:20 AM
Post #4

Thank you for your advice!
I´m thinking that I´m the guilty one,because I´ve bought the car from this kind of people,knowing that will be possible to hapen like this!
+
Yorkshireman
post 17.Jun.2013, 08:00 AM
Post #5

You need to be absolutely sure that what you thought was a dealer actually is a registered company/dealer, and not someone selling cars as a private person.

If it was a priavte person, then the normal consumer law does not apply and the burden is upon you to have had the car checked for faults before purchase. In these cases any dispute that cannot be settled person-to-person can be settled in court.

If it was a company then they should have given you a Goods Declaration with regards the used car, on that it details any faults etc... as known by the dealer, and if the faults were documented you have less ground to stand on since you accepted them. Normal consumer law dictates 6 months period where if you find fault with the product the seller must either rectify the problem, or reduce/give-back monies equivalent to the value of the fault. Many 2nd-hand dealers often say they give a 3 month guarantee, this is actually wrong according to law, it is 6 months. The burden of proof during the 6 months is upon the seller to show that the fault was caused by you, you didnt follow the maintenance or use instructions etc... otherwise they must act. If you get no joy from talking with the dealer, then contact Konsumentverket for assistance.

Finally ... just to note. You refer to the seller as being middle-eastern, it obviously didn't matter to you what they looked like when you made the purchase, why should it suddenly matter once you have found something wrong with the vehicle! unsure.gif ...it is irrelevant, especially when you approach Konsumentverket!
+
Essingen
post 17.Jun.2013, 08:17 AM
Post #6

Would it not be a good idea to find out how much it would cost to repair at a repuable dealer. It might be the case that it is better to take the cost yourself rather than go through all the hastle of any other alternative.
+
French Connection
post 17.Jun.2013, 08:21 AM
Post #7

it costs around 18000SEK blink.gif and the car price was 40000SEK!!
+
Essingen
post 17.Jun.2013, 08:48 AM
Post #8

Ah...I see your problem!
+
edd1
post 17.Jun.2013, 12:11 PM
Post #9

How sure are you that it's the pump?

What car is it for a start?

I've had the same problem on my peugeot 307 and it turned out to be dirty ABS sensors on the back. Took them off (one bolt) cleaned them and put them back on. Problem solved. To be sure you would need to check the fault codes on the car as you may just need to clean/replace a ABS sensor on the car which is a few hundred. Worst case it may be the pump but its not normally the cause for this error.

Buy/borrow a fault code reader and see what it says. Then you can decide what to do.

As for the car dealer. Did you buy any guarantee extra with the car? It's different rules when buying a used car so I think you could have trouble getting them to fix it...

Cheers
Edd
+
Yorkshireman
post 17.Jun.2013, 02:49 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (edd1 @ 17.Jun.2013, 12:11 PM) *
As for the car dealer. Did you buy any guarantee extra with the car? It's different rules when buying a used car so I think you could have trouble getting them to fix it...

Not entirely correct. Consumer law applies even to used cars when bought from a dealer. If the car value is greater than 15.000:- then they are obliged to give you a goods declaration (varudeklaration) where they can list the condition of specific items with regards the car. Anything that is listed there as a fault cannot be claimed against since you buy it knowing that it is a fault, anything else not listed can be claimed. If you did not get the goods declaration then it is assumed that the car is in a condition expected for it's price, age and milage driven. The seller is responsible to fix every fault found with the vehicle that is not listed as a fault in teh goods declaration and/or not equal to the age,price,distance etc... You can make a claim for upto 3 years after buying the car if you can prove the fault existed before your purchase, and within the 1st 6 months the burden of proof that it was due to your fault there is something wrong falls upon the seller.
+
chloeff2
post 17.Jun.2013, 02:58 PM
Post #11

Call the cops on that cowboy's ass.
+
French Connection
post 17.Jun.2013, 03:56 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (edd1 @ 17.Jun.2013, 11:11 AM) *
How sure are you that it's the pump? What car is it for a start? I've had the same problem on my peugeot 307 and it turned out to be dirty ABS sensors on the back. Too ... (show full quote)

It is a 2005 VW golf.
Cheers!
+
French Connection
post 17.Jun.2013, 03:57 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 17.Jun.2013, 01:49 PM) *
Not entirely correct. Consumer law applies even to used cars when bought from a dealer. If the car value is greater than 15.000:- then they are obliged to give you a goods dec ... (show full quote)

I haven´t got the varudeklaration!
+
French Connection
post 17.Jun.2013, 03:59 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (chloeff2 @ 17.Jun.2013, 01:58 PM) *
Call the cops on that cowboy's ass.

I don´t think the polis will take any action against them and i don´t want to wake up with half of Irak on my door rolleyes.gif
+
edd1
post 17.Jun.2013, 08:09 PM
Post #15

Right!

Although this seems to be a common fault on the VW's around that time, and the ABS pump seems to be the main cause (expensive) There are other reasons for the light to come on. You really need to get a garage to read the error messages for you! (any garage can do it but don't go to VW, they will charge you a fortune just to hook it up to the computer.

One quite common fix seems to be the below, worth a go I think?

Before you do anything else, change the 30amp fuse!! don't just check it, change it. I have had consistent problems with my ABS for the last two years and I finally tracked it down to the fuse. It looks fine and even checks out with a meter but on very close inspection it has deep pitting on the blades that causes a circuit failure when the fuse is in situ.. This was the cause of my ABS light all along. Replaced the fuse with a new one and problem instantly solved. The fuse is in the bottom right hand corner of the fuse block next to the battery, and it's 30 amp. I bet a lot of people have spent a lot of money on ABS ECU's when all they need is a 50p fuse.

I think you need to make a decision on if you want to try to fight the car dealer or just try to get the problem fixed without spending a fortune...
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se