• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Study to be a Primary School Teacher

Any courses only in English?

robsgal
post 17.Jun.2013, 11:28 PM
Post #1

Hi

I am thinking of applying to study to become a Primary School Teacher. However, I only speak English, although am able to teach small children French, Art and music as I also have qualifications in these subjects (as well as math to a banking diploma level)

I am trying to find out how I am able to apply, where, what I need to be able to do, who I should contact, or just some kind of guidance as to where I can start to work out how the system here works.

I have been educated in the UK to a high standard, however, am still to master Swedish.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Robsgal
Go to the top of the page
+
chloeff2
post 18.Jun.2013, 11:17 AM
Post #2

How would you be able to teach them without knowing their native language? It is highly unlikely children of primary school age will know any English??
+
UmmAneesa
post 18.Jun.2013, 12:00 PM
Post #3

Apply to international schools where the language of instruction is English. On the Arbetsformedlingen you will find a number of such schools looking for primary school teachers. Good luck!
+
Kaipa
post 18.Jun.2013, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Welcome to the Local where the first reply gives you a rough idea of how some of the Swedes on this site like to treat people who ask pretty innocent questions. Do you really want to work here|?
+
Johno
post 18.Jun.2013, 02:11 PM
Post #5

Kaipas answer communicated nothing, and chloeff2 was correct, the original question posed a rather baffling naivety. If the idea is to teach in a Swedish school, the order is surely to learn good (excellent ?) Swedish first , then (re)qualify and get a teaching qualification. Luckily the International Schools idea seems a let out, though whether a Swedish recognised qualification is required, you will need to find out. So there you have it. Lycka till !
+
skogsbo
post 18.Jun.2013, 02:20 PM
Post #6

I would advise the OP to qualify as a teacher first, then decide if that's what they want to do.

Who is going to employ somebody in a different country, when they don't even have the qualification yet?
+
Johno
post 18.Jun.2013, 02:23 PM
Post #7

Well, she says she has qualifications that render her able to teach !? So your first line requires the same question answering. Can you get a teaching qualification in Sweden when you dont speak Swedish sad.gif
+
chloeff2
post 18.Jun.2013, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Kaipa, you are the only one being ignorant here. I made a perfectly valid point. In case you are unable to read between the lines, which I suspect may be so - it would be extremely difficult for the OP to get a job in teaching Swedish primary students by limiting themselves to international schools alone. Even then, someone who can speak Swedish, given that other qualifications are the same, may still be favoured for an international post.
+
skogsbo
post 18.Jun.2013, 03:58 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Johno @ 18.Jun.2013, 02:23 PM) *
Well, she says she has qualifications that render her able to teach !? So your first line requires the same question answering. Can you get a teaching qualification in Swe ... (show full quote)

personally I don't think they have much idea, of any of the teaching quals. Firstly they say they are thinking of starting to study, then they say they can teach a few subjects to primary kids? Which is odd, as if they studied primary / infants in the UK, they often have one teacher who covers all core subjects, it's only after the move up, once the kids hit double figures, that core subjects are split and French certainly isn't taught to UK kids at such a young age as routine.

Then they have a 'banking diploma', I only left the UK 2 years ago and have a splattering of qualifications, including the teaching qual. that was called a Cert Ed or FAETC and is now re-invented as something else, but I've never heard of 'banking'. Generally diplomas were 'national', then 'higher'...including what was then often called, HNC, HND... full degree. These were often equated to a few 'A' levels at grade C or above, which is the same roughly as most Swedish kids attain if they study until 19 yrs old. So the OP is hardly setting the world on fire academically?

They should get qualified, get some experience, visit Sweden for a long holiday, perhaps do some Au Pair work, then see what they really think.
+
robsgal
post 23.Jun.2013, 10:11 PM
Post #10

Ok
So I seemed to have caused some dispute.

Let me clarify some points.

I do not and will not be able to speak sufficient swedish to be able to teach in a primary school that is Swedish based.
However, there are significant international schools here, to which a person with a teaching certificate and many other credentials (such as the arts, music, maths, french, greek) may be wanted more than the average joe.

I have not by any means suggested that I would only teach these subjects, as a mother of 4, I know very clearly this is NOT how primary teaching works.

All I wanted to know was where and how do I go about getting a teaching degree for primary schools.
And where I get the job i will deal with after.
+
Yorkshireman
post 24.Jun.2013, 12:23 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (robsgal @ 23.Jun.2013, 10:11 PM) *
All I wanted to know was where and how do I go about getting a teaching degree for primary schools.. And where I get the job i will deal with after.

Here is some info from one of the Unions that represents teachers (in English), maybe it points you in the right direction smile.gif

http://www.saco.se/en/omstart/Your-profess...Sweden/Teacher/
+
skogsbo
post 24.Jun.2013, 06:38 AM
Post #12

However, there are significant international schools here, to which a person with a teaching certificate and many other credentials (such as the arts, music, maths, french, gr ... (show full quote)

my point was that you aren't degree qualified in any subject, you don't have any teaching experience and your other 'banking' qualifications are a bit of a puzzle. Compared to the average joe teacher, you are currently below their standard, even if you obtain a PGCE in the UK, have you look at the Open University courses?

To me somebody with more than the average joe level, would have qualified as a teacher say 10 years, taught a variety of ages of kids, perhaps in a school with kids of different nationalities and abilities. Maybe speak 1 or 2 extra languages. That to me as someone fighting above the norm.

All I wanted to know was where and how do I go about getting a teaching degree for primary schools.. And where I get the job i will deal with after.

I would be amazed if any country runs teaching courses in a 2nd language, the most obvious route is to get qualified in the UK, as you will also need to sort out teaching placements etc to gain your required experience and classroom assessments.

Once qualified and with a modest CV, you'll have the knowledge to know where to find the best jobs yourself. I appreciate it's a bit of pipe dream of yours, but most countries aren't set up to teach at that level in English. Many higher level courses are taught in English, but even the more exotic bachelor level degrees here will always start for the 1st or 2nd year in Swedish, often moving to English later as the syllabus broadens, giving them a greater ranch of material.
+
tuborgian
post 24.Jun.2013, 11:57 AM
Post #13

Have you checked the Open University? I know two people who got their PGCEs (for secondary) from there. One was working as a teaching assistant in the UK and the other as an actual teacher here in an international school while doing the course. I have seen teaching assistant jobs in primary schools advertised here (english speaking), so that could be a route for you.

Have you checked skolverket or the universities here to see what they offer?
+
redblue
post 24.Jun.2013, 04:21 PM
Post #14

http://www.skolverket.se/kompetens-och-for...ldning-1.175009
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options