• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Renewing Residence Permit Confusion

Citizenship Question as Well

william9876
post 16.Jul.2013, 02:19 PM
Post #1

When I got my residence permit I was told to re apply in 18 months (6 months before it expired). I was recently reading migrationsverket's webpage and saw an online renewal page that said you CANNOT apply more than 30 days before expiration. So which is it? Obviously if I wait until 30 days prior and somehow I misunderstood that information than I would be in big trouble so I am curious if anyone with knowledge or experience on the online renewal process can chime in.

On an unrelated note, you can apply for citizenship as well after the first two residence, right? Is that an entirely separate process or are they tied together?

Cheers.
Go to the top of the page
+
william9876
post 21.Jul.2013, 10:35 AM
Post #2

Hate to have to bump, but does anyone have any insight on this?
+
Vi
post 21.Jul.2013, 10:58 AM
Post #3

You MUST apply before your permit expires. I think you can not apply earlier than 6 months of the expiry date. A month or two in advance would be prudent. In any case , they will NOT touch your application untill the expiry date. All processing after that depends on your luck and how you pester them ( I called the customer support almost twice a week and got my work done in a month.)

The question on Citizenship has been discussed a lot. If you have 5 years of PR ( or 3 years for family based visa , I think) , you are sure to get it approved. In all other cases, its upto the case officer.
+
humblelove001
post 22.Jul.2013, 12:29 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (william9876 @ 21.Jul.2013, 09:35 AM) *
Hate to have to bump, but does anyone have any insight on this?

What kind of permit do you have?if you are on a sambo visa and you have a child with your sambo you can sure apply 6month before the expiry of your current permit.or better still call migratioversket for a better response.
+
axiom
post 22.Jul.2013, 03:03 PM
Post #5

As said above, you can't get much help unless you say what permit you have, different permit types, different rules.

Rule of the thumb, submit renewal on month before expiration.

Citizenship, 3years if you have a permit based on relationship with a Swedish Citizen

Work permit etc 5years after being granted a PUT
+
william9876
post 22.Jul.2013, 10:24 PM
Post #6

Thanks so much for the responses and I am really sorry I didn't mention my specific permit. Basically, I am a year into my first two year residence permit because I live with a Swedish person. We do not have a kid together. If there is any other info needed to give me a better sense of my situation, let me know and I will get it out there.

My original understanding was that you start with a two year permit, and then when you reapply for the residence after 18 or 23 months, you then can get a permanent residence card as well as possibly getting the ball rolling toward citizenship. I am also curious what happens if you ever break up with your partner when that is how you got your residence permit. Obviously hoping that doesn't happen, but I am the type who likes to know of all scenarios just in case.

Thanks again.
+
william9876
post 18.Oct.2013, 10:04 PM
Post #7

Hoping to get a specific answer for my situation. Thanks to all the above posters. Can everyone apply online for renewal? When is it best to do so?
+
olga118
post 18.Oct.2013, 10:18 PM
Post #8

I was not allowed to apply for mine until a month before it expired.

I highly recommend you do it online. I didn't and it took 11 months to process it and I have no hindrances. I couldn't believe it. A friend of mine applied online and got hers approved in less than a week.
+
Opalnera
post 18.Oct.2013, 10:23 PM
Post #9

Just apply a few weeks before it expires and you can apply online for sambo visa extension.
+
william9876
post 19.Oct.2013, 09:26 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (olga118 @ 18.Oct.2013, 10:18 PM) *
I was not allowed to apply for mine until a month before it expired.I highly recommend you do it online. I didn't and it took 11 months to process it and I have no hindran ... (show full quote)

Wow. Was there a specific reason why you didn't do it online?

QUOTE (Opalnera @ 18.Oct.2013, 10:23 PM) *
Just apply a few weeks before it expires and you can apply online for sambo visa extension.

Visa extension? Aren't we talking about residence permits and not visas?

So you guys see NO risk in waiting until 30 days before expiration and then trying to reapply online? The main reason I ask is because when I first got the original permit they told me something like 'apply for renewal 6 months beforehand' and that contradicts the online application.
+
cherrybubble
post 19.Oct.2013, 09:41 AM
Post #11

If you are applying for an extension of a sambo permit and if you are from the EU, you cannot apply online.

If you are applying online, the first question the system asks is when your permit expires and if you enter a date further out than one month the system says, sorry, you can't apply more than a month before your permit expires.
This is the link:
Website

I suppose if you're doing a paper application they can't really stop you from applying 6 months in advance. Sounds like you heard something specific from someone at migrationsverket, it might be worth while to actually contact them and clarify.

And, the whole online application clears in 5 days? Some of the other posters say that if you haven't included everything to make the process an absolute no brainer, then it definitely takes longer than 5 days.

Good luck and keep us posted! smile.gif
+
cherrybubble
post 19.Oct.2013, 09:51 AM
Post #12

Oh and your citizen question is answered on this page of the migrationsverket site:

http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/499_en.html

Basically, after 3 years of living in sweden of which at least 2 have been with your swedie.
+
magg
post 19.Oct.2013, 08:10 PM
Post #13

I see it was mentioned here, so I can ask here...does anybody know anything reliable and verifiable on the whole "if you have a common child, you can apply early" story. I see and hear that all over, but not on any sort of an official website. I am an EU citizen, married to a (born) Swede and we recently became parents. The baby has only Swedish citizenship, as he was born in Sweden and my home country will only grant him citizenship if I declare we intend to move to live there and against a hefty fee, so I don't really see the point. Because my husband and I were not married or living together for more than two years when we applied for my permit, I was given the initial 2 year permit. So do I have to wait until this expires and then 13 months (since I can't apply online) or can I apply for permanent residence sooner, on grounds of us still living together and now having a common child who is a Swedish citizen? Not that it would mean a spectacular difference, but it would simplify some things for me to be a permanent resident.
+
Opalnera
post 19.Oct.2013, 11:02 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (william9876 @ 19.Oct.2013, 09:26 AM) *
Visa extension? Aren't we talking about residence permits and not visas?So you guys see NO risk in waiting until 30 days before expiration and then trying to reapply onlin ... (show full quote)

Permit/visa same shit. I applied for mine back in the paper renewal days, 3 weeks before it expired. As long as you submit it before the expiry it's no problem. In fact, when I did mine (over a year ago) they told me they wouldn't even look at it until the expiry date had gone past. Now with the online applications they are being processed very quickly, usually within a week.

Nope no risk at all, as long as you have submitted it before the expiry you have the right to stay and work in Sweden. It's not like your initial permit where you weren't allowed to live and work in Sweden until it had been approved. I would recommend doing it a month before hand and if you do it by paper application you should post it registered mail or hand it in personally and get a receipt.
+
Palc
post 26.May.2014, 10:10 PM
Post #15

After reading this discussion, I thought to share my experience as well. Last year, I applied online for Doctoral student visa extension on 6th Aug 2013 around 3 am and my residence permit was supposed to expire on 13th Oct 2013 (that means 2 months and 7 days before I applied) and my new residence permit was approved in few hours at 9 am when the office opened I guess. It was extremely quick. I remember it was 3 months earliest that you can apply for an extension before your current permit expires. Has the rule changed to 30 days now? confused..!!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN